NFL Thread: "Terrell Owens does what?" edition

Red Tiger

24 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Mayfield was only a question due to height and those two bad, idiotic decisions. He has a big arm and was the most accurate by far. His leadership and respect of his teammates is unquestioned and was actually a big selling point to the Browns.

Allen and Rudolph are not even comparable to him. 

I don't even consider his in-game antics to really be a big deal.  I felt the same at the time they happened.  The arrest was somewhat concerning, but it happened during the offseason and, more importantly, it doesn't seem like it's going to be an ongoing issue like it was with Manziel.  

But yeah telling the other team to suck his dick after they refused to shake hands and hit him late throughout the game?  Don't care.

Just now, briantw said:

I don't even consider his in-game antics to really be a big deal.  I felt the same at the time they happened.  The arrest was somewhat concerning, but it happened during the offseason and, more importantly, it doesn't seem like it's going to be an ongoing issue like it was with Manziel.  

But yeah telling the other team to suck his dick after they refused to shake hands and hit him late throughout the game?  Don't care.

Agreed, the onfield thing I thought was great. The off field, not so much. 

26 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

I don't know what "NFL arm" means until a QB plays in the NFL.  Plenty have had arm strength that doesn't work in the NFL due to a multitude of factors.  Now, do some clearly not have the arm strength for the NFL - like Tebow?  Sure.  And yes, Alex Smith's arm strength is incredibly sub-par as well.  I did not mean to compare Mayfield to either based on that, if that's what you mean.

Alex Smith had a good arm coming out of college. Injuries sapped his range.

4 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

Dez Bryant is a wannabe TO, which reminds me of what I wanted to say the first time I saw this thread title - why are we still giving Terrell Owens attention?!?  Wasn't it clear, like, fifteen years ago that he's an attention whore that's best simply ignored?

Thank god for you. By which, I mean thank Me of course. T.O. was a great player who was annoying as fuck. Now he's just annoying as fuck.

Regarding Lamarr Jackson. He doesn't need to 'develop'. His scrambling is a feature, it's not something to coach out of him. Shortening his throwing motion and being less eager to leave the pocket is something he'll grow into over the course of his career. Until then, you put him on the field and let angles cry.

Seriously, there's nothing 'wrong' with Jackson. He's a gift to the sad and despicable NFL fan, one that will regretfully lure me into cheering on the goddamn Ravens.

Jace's rookie QB rankings go Jackson>Jackson>Jackson>Jackson>Stop overthinking it>Jackson>Seriously, watch the tape>Jackson

Louisville even ran a nominally 'pro' system.

Seriously. Stop overthinking it.

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

This season will be the tell. I really think Dez being gone will be a good thing for the team as a whole. He wasn't nearly as good the last two years but still expected the ball as if he was.

True ,we'll see this year but there are times where I'm just baffled by how bad has decision making can be . But yeah , he has great tools at his disposal (great oline and rb ) so time to see.

7 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

Dez Bryant is a wannabe TO, which reminds me of what I wanted to say the first time I saw this thread title - why are we still giving Terrell Owens attention?!?  Wasn't it clear, like, fifteen years ago that he's an attention whore that's best simply ignored?

One could argue that it's like the Kardashians .

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Agreed, the onfield thing I thought was great. The off field, not so much. 

Yeah, but as someone who went to college, I'm not going to judge a kid for getting drunk and doing something dumb in the offseason.  If it was a recurring issue, sure, or if it was an issue during the season, but one time?  Meh.  

He was getting Manziel comparisons for it, though, and I thought that was ridiculous.  Manziel would show up to practice drunk.  He had a substance abuse problem.

4 minutes ago, Vin said:

One could argue that it's like the Kardashians .

HA!!! That's the first thing you've said on this forum that wasn't batshit crazy! I would quibble that T.O. actually had talent, but it's a minor point.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, but as someone who went to college, I'm not going to judge a kid for getting drunk and doing something dumb in the offseason.  If it was a recurring issue, sure, or if it was an issue during the season, but one time?  Meh.  

He was getting Manziel comparisons for it, though, and I thought that was ridiculous.  Manziel would show up to practice drunk.  He had a substance abuse problem.

I am ashamed to say that I kind of think the Browns made the right choice with Mayfield at 1 (well, actually the right choice would have been to trade out of 1 for a bounty down to the teens then take Chubb at 4 and Jackson with the acquired second 1st).

I like the kid's moxie. The planting the flag and shit talking actually gives your woeful franchise hope. And hope in Cleveland is something I cannot abide.

10 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Alex Smith had a good arm coming out of college. Injuries sapped his range.

Thank god for you. By which, I mean thank Me of course. T.O. was a great player who was annoying as fuck. Now he's just annoying as fuck.

Regarding Lamarr Jackson. He doesn't need to 'develop'. His scrambling is a feature, it's not something to coach out of him. Shortening his throwing motion and being less eager to leave the pocket is something he'll grow into over the course of his career. Until then, you put him on the field and let angles cry.

Seriously, there's nothing 'wrong' with Jackson. He's a gift to the sad and despicable NFL fan, one that will regretfully lure me into cheering on the goddamn Ravens.

Jace's rookie QB rankings go Jackson>Jackson>Jackson>Jackson>Stop overthinking it>Jackson>Seriously, watch the tape>Jackson

I'd say all rookie QBs need to develop . It's a much faster game in the NFL and their decision making needs to be faster and all their fundamentals (especially their feet ) need to be polished . Very rarely do I see a qb in college who's really "NFL ready" but the league needs starters and teams reach and convince themselves like the bills with Allen . 

As for Jackson in particular , I like his scrambling and arm , I just think he should bulk up a bit , he looks really lanky to me. Kinda like bridgwater and RG3 and that didn't go well injury wise .

Edit: this is actually kinda why I like darnold . That boy is THICK and looks like a brick . I think he can last in the NFL .

Just now, Vin said:

I'd say all rookie QBs need to develop . It's a much faster game in the NFL and their decision making needs to be faster and all their fundamentals (especially their feet ) need to be polished . Very rarely do I see a qb in college who's really "NFL ready" but the league needs starters and teams reach and convince themselves like the bills with Allen . 

As for Jackson in particular , I like his scrambling and arm , I just think he should bulk up a bit , he looks really lanky to me. Kinda like bridgwater and RG3 and that didn't go well injury wise .

I get the conventional thinking, but Jackson isn't a conventional player. He has his own rules because he's faster than the NFL. He can take a bad play or a bad read and turn it into a first down and save the drive.

The Mike Vick comparisons are real. And I don't wanna hear about RGIII. RGIII was an incredibly athletic player, he was not evolution's improvement on Mike Vick.

2 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

I get the conventional thinking, but Jackson isn't a conventional player. He has his own rules because he's faster than the NFL. He can take a bad play or a bad read and turn it into a first down and save the drive.

The Mike Vick comparisons are real. And I don't wanna hear about RGIII. RGIII was an incredibly athletic player, he was not evolution's improvement on Mike Vick.

True , it's a unique aspect that these "I'm faster than your cornerback" QBs bring to the game .

I hope we get to see that soon because vick was ridiculously entertaining . However I still think he needs to put on some more weight .the hits are nasty and they add up when scrambling is a big part of your game .

7 minutes ago, Vin said:

True , it's a unique aspect that these "I'm faster than your cornerback" QBs bring to the game .

I hope we get to see that soon because vick was ridiculously entertaining . However I still think he needs to put on some more weight .the hits are nasty and they add up when scrambling is a big part of your game .

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing him hit 225 lbs. I was a bit surprised when he weighed in at 215 at the combine, he does look thinner than that.

It's kind of a double-edged comment to point out that Vick was very slight himself, even slighter really. But then obviously he was also injury prone despite having a fairly long career when you adjust for lost time spent in federal prison.

Welcome to the NFL thread, man. We have a good time here. Lots of smart peeps who know their football. This is my single favorite place on the internet.

56 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing him hit 225 lbs. I was a bit surprised when he weighed in at 215 at the combine, he does look thinner than that.

It's kind of a double-edged comment to point out that Vick was very slight himself, even slighter really. But then obviously he was also injury prone despite having a fairly long career when you adjust for lost time spent in federal prison.

Welcome to the NFL thread, man. We have a good time here. Lots of smart peeps who know their football. This is my single favorite place on the internet.

225 would be great.

Yeah , size is a big factor in how these guys are drafted and I do kinda subscribe to the "size matters" aspect of quarterback evaluation but it can get terrible results as well, I mean I was pretty sold on bortles when he showed his magical getting taller ability and see how that panned out .

Thanks , seems lovely so far and far out of reach of the ginger hammer so may we back in the light of saint manning and witness many butt fumbles together ,preferably of the cowboys variety .

2 hours ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

So what are you trying to say here?  

You know I am a conspiracy theory away from connecting your dots to Cleveland...

You say you are a Indy Colts fan....that team formally from Baltimore that left as cowards in the dark....you are now giving us very subtle hints that you will be rooting for Baltimore...a team that left Cleveland in shame...all signs point to Jace really being a dog pound member! You mention Cleveland in your posts very often... The Jace triangle of love, Indy to Baltimore to Cleveland!

Give in to the dark side, become one with the dog pound Sith Lord Jace...

21 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

Size matters but it's just one factor.  Same goes for pitchers and in the bedroom.

I do have a King size bed in my bedroom! That's what you mean right?

55 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So what are you trying to say here?  

You know I am a conspiracy theory away from connecting your dots to Cleveland...

You say you are a Indy Colts fan....that team formally from Baltimore that left as cowards in the dark....you are now giving us very subtle hints that you will be rooting for Baltimore...a team that left Cleveland in shame...all signs point to Jace really being a dog pound member! You mention Cleveland in your posts very often... The Jace triangle of love, Indy to Baltimore to Cleveland!

Give in to the dark side, become one with the dog pound Sith Lord Jace...

Move over, Himeko. There's a new Devil's Triangle.

Listen. Jackson may force me into reviving the casual fondness I had for the Ravens in the days of Air McNair. But I will never. NEVER! Give credit to the Browns! I swear on Jupiter's stone!

I do like that Mayfield kid and T-Mobile though.

15 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

Meh attitude is overrated.  Tim Tebow had a great attitude and he's still playing for the Binghamton Rumble Ponies.  I'm not making that up.

What I was referencing is if you think all the guys are equal talents, you take the one you like the most. It might not be the best strategy, but it's understandable. 

8 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

What I was referencing is if you think all the guys are equal talents, you take the one you like the most. It might not be the best strategy, but it's understandable. 

Yeah, I felt the top four QBs this year (Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson) were all on a pretty similar tier.  Wouldn't have wanted Jackson or Rosen at one, simply because we all knew they'd be there at four, whereas the Jets were going to take Mayfield or Darnold at three depending on which was available, and according to the Giants there were either teams willing to move up to grab Mayfield if he fell to two or the Giants were going to take him themselves (their GM said that, once Mayfield was off the board, they were locked into Barkley at two, which could mean either thing).

So if the Browns wanted Mayfield or Darnold, they had to take them at one.  

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, I felt the top four QBs this year (Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson) were all on a pretty similar tier.  Wouldn't have wanted Jackson or Rosen at one, simply because we all knew they'd be there at four, whereas the Jets were going to take Mayfield or Darnold at three depending on which was available, and according to the Giants there were either teams willing to move up to grab Mayfield if he fell to two or the Giants were going to take him themselves (their GM said that, once Mayfield was off the board, they were locked into Barkley at two, which could mean either thing).

So if the Browns wanted Mayfield or Darnold, they had to take them at one.  

Yeah I largely agree with this, and the possibility of the Giants trading out had to worry them. And as you pointed out, unless the Browns traded the top pick (maybe they should have), one of their guys would have been there at four. I think what that indicates is it was down to Darnold or Mayfield. The one mistake I think the Browns made is given the number of second round picks they had, they should have either stayed put and gotten the two best guys in the draft and traded back up to get Jackson or traded the first pick for a boatload of picks, gotten Chubb or Nelson at four, get another first rounder at a position of need and then traded back up for Jackson. The Browns were a perfect situation for Jackson to land into. He could have backed up Tygod for a year or two and then have been handed the keys to a team that would have been loaded by then. Regardless though, if Mayfield turns out to be good, you've got a nice little team there. I think you'll be bad again in 2018, maybe four to six wins, but the year after you should be a playoff contender.

Speaking of Baker and TT, has there been any reporting on how they're going to handle that?

6 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Speaking of Baker and TT, has there been any reporting on how they're going to handle that?

Sounds like they are going into the season fully expecting Tyrod to the starter.  They specifically traded for Tyrod so that Hue Jackson would have no excuses this year, so I'd imagine they are going to play him.  If healthy, I'm guessing this will be like an Alex Smith on the Chiefs last year situation where Tyrod will start all year and Mayfield will be the starter next year.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Sounds like they are going into the season fully expecting Tyrod to the starter.  They specifically traded for Tyrod so that Hue Jackson would have no excuses this year, so I'd imagine they are going to play him.  If healthy, I'm guessing this will be like an Alex Smith on the Chiefs last year situation where Tyrod will start all year and Mayfield will be the starter next year.

Probably, though I suspect Baker will get some playing time once they're eliminated from playoff contention. I'm sure the Chiefs would have done that too. 

Archived