NFL Thread: "Terrell Owens does what?" edition

Red Tiger

Well Winston got 3 game suspension and made a statement, sort of admitting he did it. Said he was sorry for putting the driver in the position he did...and that this behavior was uncharacteristic of him. Said he has cut alcohol from his life.

3 games for what is a form of sexual assault. By a person who was already investigated for sexual assault before. Don't you get 4 games for being a repeat pot offender? How the hell can you justify 3 games? Don't you get more for first time domestic battery? To me sexually assaulting a stranger is in no way less of an issue than physically assaulting a significant other.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Well Winston got 3 game suspension and made a statement, sort of admitting he did it. Said he was sorry for putting the driver in the position he did...and that this behavior was uncharacteristic of him. Said he has cut alcohol from his life.

3 games for what is a form of sexual assault. By a person who was already investigated for sexual assault before. Don't you get 4 games for being a repeat pot offender? How the hell can you justify 3 games? Don't you get more for first time domestic battery? To me sexually assaulting a stranger is in no way less of an issue than physically assaulting a significant other.

If I'm the Bucs I get ahead of the PR and suspend him additional games. 

Also, this makes the accusations against him while he was at FSU seem valid. The same guy in both cases was his witness, and it's clear that he lied this time. What makes you think he didn't lie before? 

I guess it's of a piece with Goodell and John Mara deciding two games was enough for the kicker who admitted he'd been beating and terrorizing his wife for years. The kicker Mara gave a fat, unnecessary contract extension to well after they knew what he'd done.

It's almost like the NFL doesn't care about women. But, pink gloves and shoes for a month is compelling counter-evidence.

I'm surprised he got 3. Would've thought he'd get closer to 8 due to his history and the scale of what he did. Add his history plus the fact he's yet to bloom as a franchise QB, I wonder how long till TB wonder what their future with him is, or for how long.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's almost like the NFL doesn't care about women. But, pink gloves and shoes for a month is compelling counter-evidence.

Plus their stellar treatment of cheerleaders.

8 games would have seemed more appropriate. And during those 8 weeks he is spending the same amount of time at victims advocacy, talk groups, as he would if he was practicing and working out for games.

13 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

If I'm the Bucs I get ahead of the PR and suspend him additional games. 

Also, this makes the accusations against him while he was at FSU seem valid. The same guy in both cases was his witness, and it's clear that he lied this time. What makes you think he didn't lie before? 

Exactly right. This is his witness both times and he clearly lied this time. Winston also lied this time when asked about it, so what is it that he has learned, how has he grown, why would anyone believe he didn't rape that woman at FSU? 

If I was in the area where the initial rape occurred I would be opening that investigation back up due to the fact that the same witness lied this time. Of course they won't because if they truly cared it would have been handled right the first time.

Exactly right. This is his witness both times and he clearly lied this time. Winston also lied this time when asked about it, so what is it that he has learned, how has he grown, why would anyone believe he didn't rape that woman at FSU? 

If I was in the area where the initial rape occurred I would be opening that investigation back up due to the fact that the same witness lied this time. Of course they won't because if they truly cared it would have been handled right the first time.

I’m not sure that you can. It’s already been adjudicated in civil court, and there probably isn’t enough physical evidence to prosecute Winston in criminal court, otherwise they’d have likely already done so.  I’m not a lawyer though, so I’ll defer to the likes of @sperry and@Whiskeyjaak Blood-Drinker.

2 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I’m not sure that you can. It’s already been adjudicated in civil court, and there probably isn’t enough physical evidence to prosecute Winston in criminal court, otherwise they’d have likely already done so.  I’m not a lawyer though, so I’ll defer to the likes of @sperry and@Whiskeyjaak Blood-Drinker.

I believe the dispute was about whether or not sex was consensual, so physical evidence isn't as important. And you are allowed to introduce evidence to attack a witness's "character for truthfulness."

That being said, this happened in 2012 and the victim has already gotten her financial settlement, so I doubt she would want to go through the circus of a trial in something that still would be tough to get a conviction (simply because all rape cases are hard to get convictions).

1 hour ago, sperry said:

I believe the dispute was about whether or not sex was consensual, so physical evidence isn't as important. And you are allowed to introduce evidence to attack a witness's "character for truthfulness."

That being said, this happened in 2012 and the victim has already gotten her financial settlement, so I doubt she would want to go through the circus of a trial in something that still would be tough to get a conviction (simply because all rape cases are hard to get convictions).

Huh, didn’t know that physical evidence wasn’t required in this scenario. That said, I agree with you that she wouldn’t want to go through with it, but it is pretty damning IMO for Winston in the court of public opinion. I just Googled his contract, and I wouldn’t be shocked if the Bucs cut him after the season or didn’t resign him once his contract expires in 2019 (they don’t have the guts to cut him right now).

1 hour ago, sperry said:

The other issue is that I believe the woman from this new issue can still press charges. Now that this suspension has happened and Winston apologized, which is kind of admitting guilt...should be easy to get a conviction. It's just a matter if she presses charges and files civil suit.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

It's not really the choice of the victim whether to proceed with a prosecution. The District Attorney represents the people, not the victim, and it often proceeds with prosecutions in spite of the objections of victims who do not wish for them to do so. The DA is pretty much supposed to weight their decision to proceed based on the strength of the evidence and not the personal desires of the victim involved. 

It does seem unlikely though that they would reopen a six year-old investigation because of this one detail, though, I would agree with that. 

4 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

It's not really the choice of the victim whether to proceed with a prosecution. The District Attorney represents the people, not the victim, and it often proceeds with prosecutions in spite of the objections of victims who do not wish for them to do so. The DA is pretty much supposed to weight their decision to proceed based on the strength of the evidence and not the personal desires of the victim involved. 

It does seem unlikely though that they would reopen a six year-old investigation because of this one detail, though, I would agree with that. 

It's the DA's decision to proceed, but the DA is never going to win a rape case about consent or non-consent if the victim won't testify. That's why these matters usually disappear after a civil settlement.

11 minutes ago, sperry said:

It's the DA's decision to proceed, but the DA is never going to win a rape case about consent or non-consent if the victim won't testify. That's why these matters usually disappear after a civil settlement.

Also helps when the local cops don't bother to investigate.

I am not sure if anyone actually put two and two together, but it seems the league went with a three game suspension (half the prescribed six games for domestic violence) because Winston agreed not to appeal, and to give a half-assed apology without admitting actually doing anything. For an enterprise worth billions of dollars, the NFL is sure fucking incompetent at the most basic fucking things.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/6/29/17518964/jameis-winston-buccaneers-three-game-suspension

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Also helps when the local cops don't bother to investigate.

I am not sure if anyone actually put two and two together, but it seems the league went with a three game suspension (half the prescribed six games for domestic violence) because Winston agreed not to appeal, and to give a half-assed apology without admitting actually doing anything. For an enterprise worth billions of dollars, the NFL is sure fucking incompetent at the most basic fucking things.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/6/29/17518964/jameis-winston-buccaneers-three-game-suspension

That's been the common take I've heard. And frankly, I understand why they did it. They just should have started with a way longer ban.

Also, it's gross that people are calling this incident various forms of "inappropriate behavior." F that! What he did was straight up sexual assault, and labeling it as anything other than that is insulting to every victim of sexual assault. 

Why is he not being charged tho ? 

In other news , eagles linebacker Nigel bradham has got himself a one game suspension over an incident in 2016 (I think he got into a fight and had to do a deferred program ) . Doesn't seem overly big and he seems OK (nicer than Winston anyway but I'm biased)

as for football implications the second level is paper thin now for my eagles since Jordan Hicks is still recovering and is generally made out of glass and Michael Kendricks was sacrificed on the altar of the salary cap not to mention Paul worrilow getting an acl in spring . All in all it feels like our second level will be made up of special teams players and late draft picks in the last couple of years . Here's hoping it's the opportunity to discover that one of these guys is Brian urlacher  in disguise .

Dude, I'm asking nicely. Can you please keep your bitch hating trolling out of the NFL thread? No one wants to play here and you're just making it hard to talk ball with you. Which is a shame because you seem to know your football.

11 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Dude, I'm asking nicely. Can you please keep your bitch hating trolling out of the NFL thread? No one wants to play here and you're just making it hard to talk ball with you. Which is a shame because you seem to know your football.

What are you even talking about ?

I'm just genuinely curious as to whether the guy is gonna get prosecuted or not , these new developments certainly show that it's plausible and sexual assault is a serious crime that should land him some legal repercussions (if he gets convicted ) not just a 3 game ban . I haven't really followed the issue and do I'm asking these good people who seem to have been following the issue if there's something new . I certainly don't think I said anything that merits this knee jerk reaction or being labeled a troll . You got hung up and willfully misunderstood a single sentence in my post and went ahead and assigned motivations for it to boot . I don't think that's justified or nice . 

C'mon mate , chill . :(

Archived