NFL Thread: "Terrell Owens does what?" edition

Red Tiger

On 6/29/2018 at 9:19 AM, chiKanery et al. said:

I’m not sure that you can. It’s already been adjudicated in civil court, and there probably isn’t enough physical evidence to prosecute Winston in criminal court, otherwise they’d have likely already done so.  I’m not a lawyer though, so I’ll defer to the likes of @sperry and@Whiskeyjaak Blood-Drinker.

Sorry man - I actually don't know anything about criminal law.

18 hours ago, Whiskeyjaak Blood-Drinker said:

Sorry man - I actually don't know anything about criminal law.

What kind of lawyer are you?!?!?!?

Also, when are you getting the leagues going? I’ve got a Jacelyn to destroy!

5 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

What kind of lawyer are you?!?!?!?

Also, when are you getting the leagues going? I’ve got a Jacelyn to destroy!

Sports law - mainly negotiate contracts for players.

And will probably start the leagues up in late July.

38 minutes ago, Whiskeyjaak Blood-Drinker said:

Sports law - mainly negotiate contracts for players.

And will probably start the leagues up in late July.

Damn that’s pretty cool. Part of the reason I’ve delayed going to law school (and thus let my awesome LSAT score lapse) is because I have no idea what I’d want to do. I did before, but a decade’s worth of working in politics beat that out of me.

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

TO is doing his own  HOF speech at Un. of Tenn.  I almost feel sorry for him, that he is so incredibly self destructive, every time.

Honestly, he’s a messed up guy, but this I have no problem with. If there is anything that really and truly is ‘all about me’, surely it’s something like having your individual sports career honoured as exceptional. So if he wants to make his day about him in a different way than other people do, why do we care? It’s just a tradition.

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Honestly, he’s a messed up guy, but this I have no problem with. If there is anything that really and truly is ‘all about me’, surely it’s something like having your individual sports career honoured as exceptional. So if he wants to make his day about him in a different way than other people do, why do we care? It’s just a tradition.

I don't care, but it's sad.  Instead of being there in Canton with former teammates, coaches, he makes a sad spectacle of himself. Sure, he can do whatever he wants, but that doesn't mean it isn't self sabotaging. 

18 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't care, but it's sad.  Instead of being there in Canton with former teammates, coaches, he makes a sad spectacle of himself. Sure, he can do whatever he wants, but that doesn't mean it isn't self sabotaging. 

What’s he sabotaging at this point? Being crossed off the list of NFL front office positions? 

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

What’s he sabotaging at this point? Being crossed off the list of NFL front office positions? 

His own enjoyment, and his legacy, which will be that he was me, me, me right up until the end. Instead of going to Canton, enjoying himself, maybe renewing some relationships, nope.  Just another TO stunt to go with all the others.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

His own enjoyment, and his legacy, which will be that he was me, me, me right up until the end. Instead of going to Canton, enjoying himself, maybe renewing some relationships, nope.  Just another TO stunt to go with all the others.

Eh, I think that was going to be part of his legacy either way. And renewed relationships?

But more to the point, how are you or I more qualified to decide how TO will better enjoy himself than he is? Without which it might not just be a stunt, but his actual preference. I don’t know, not saying I do, but I’m wondering how you do. 

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Eh, I think that was going to be part of his legacy either way. And renewed relationships?

But more to the point, how are you or I more qualified to decide how TO will better enjoy himself than he is? Without which it might not just be a stunt, but his actual preference. I don’t know, not saying I do, but I’m wondering how you do. 

Pulls stunt.  Alienates XYZ.  Alienation+stunt=bad outcome.  I'm sure he thinks this will be better, and more enjoyable, just like he thought all of his previous stunts were the way to go, and better and more enjoyable.  And then he was shocked that he kept getting traded and then no one would hire him, which is a bad outcome for TO on many levels.   I'm sure it is his actual preference but so what? He has a long history of bad judgment and self sabotage.  And this is the end of the line, his last act of self harm related to the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Pulls stunt.  Alienates XYZ.  Alienation+stunt=bad outcome.  I'm sure he thinks this will be better, and more enjoyable, just like he thought all of his previous stunts were the way to go, and better and more enjoyable.  And then he was shocked that he kept getting traded and then no one would hire him, which is a bad outcome for TO on many levels.   I'm sure it is his actual preference but so what? He has a long history of bad judgment and self sabotage.  And this is the end of the line, his last act of self harm related to the NFL.

Okay , basically thinking we’re gonna end up at YMMV, but do you see any irony in deciding that he can’t make the right choices for himself in a discussion about his career being honoured as one of the best ever? I know you think that those 2 aren’t connected, but maybe he is thinking Dance With The One That Brung You.

24 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Okay , basically thinking we’re gonna end up at YMMV, but do you see any irony in deciding that he can’t make the right choices for himself in a discussion about his career being honoured as one of the best ever? I know you think that those 2 aren’t connected, but maybe he is thinking Dance With The One That Brung You.

Not really.  He thinks he should have been a first ballot hall of famer, why wasn't he?  Stunts like this.  He also almost certainly would have had a longer career if he had not continually done the same things again and again.  Self sabotage. It doesn't matter that he was a hugely talented player, because he continued to sabotage himself again and again and this effectively shortened his career.  I don't know what else to say, I think he is a sad person and that ultimately he will regret not taking part in the ceremony.  But, this is my opinion, nothing more. ETA I have thought for a long time, years, that TO needed therapy to deal with his depression and his issues of persecution, and I still believe that, but that too, is just my personal opinion.

29 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Not really.  He thinks he should have been a first ballot hall of famer, why wasn't he?  Stunts like this.  He also almost certainly would have had a longer career if he had not continually done the same things again and again.  Self sabotage. It doesn't matter that he was a hugely talented player, because he continued to sabotage himself again and again and this effectively shortened his career.  I don't know what else to say, I think he is a sad person and that ultimately he will regret not taking part in the ceremony.  But, this is my opinion, nothing more. ETA I have thought for a long time, years, that TO needed therapy to deal with his depression and his issues of persecution, and I still believe that, but that too, is just my personal opinion.

I probably agree that he could do with therapy based on things he has said about his depression, but that aside, maybe the fact that he wasn’t a first ballot electee because of ‘stunts like this’ in his mind really deligitmized the whole thing and that that made him a bit less prone to toeing the line when they finally threw him the cookie?

You're both kind of right. T.O. can do what he wants, but that doesn't not make it kinda sad and pathetic too. He can be right to be salty about not being a 1st ballot while there's also a perspective (fair or not) that if he wasn't such a Dickhead he could have challenged as the best ever.

And Cas isn't really Hot Taking here. 

T.O. still had top-20 physical talents when the Bills washed their hands of him. He could have played as long as Jerry Rice did.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

T.O. still had top-20 physical talents when the Bills washed their hands of him. He could have played as long as Jerry Rice did.

Not exactly true.  TO had a drop problem his whole career and if anything it got worse as he aged.  That combined with his drama issues meant that he was never going to be a viable WR3 or WR4 like Rice was in his final years. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet der Mannschaft said:

Not exactly true.  TO had a drop problem his whole career and if anything it got worse as he aged.  That combined with his drama issues meant that he was never going to be a viable WR3 or WR4 like Rice was in his final years. 

The drops is a fair point I kind of forgot about but I was working on a 'if there was less drama' basis there. Even with his sketchy hands I think he could have played into his early 40's. Again, with less drama. He was just so big and fast. And he ran a good route when he wasn't making up his own tree.

Funny thing is the takes on TO as a locker room cancer are completely subjective. SAS made a good argument about that today. He covered the Philly team he was on, and he says that half the team hated him and half of them loved him.

I personally think TO is 100% right to be salty. He and Moss are probably the second* and third best receivers ever, and Moss got in first ballot. And he's the rub, both guys were considered locker room cancers at various points in their careers, but I don't recall TO ever quitting on his team like Moss did on several occasions. I'd be pissed if I was TO.

*Still not giving up on Moss as the GOAT :P

Archived