NFL Thread: "Terrell Owens does what?" edition

Red Tiger

24 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I thought this was out of The Onion, but nope, it's real:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/richie-incognito-named-ambassador-for-anti-bullying-organization-despite-history-of-bullying/

Awww, did some big mean kids throw rocks at you once, Richie? I guess that means you had no choice but to bully your teammate with racial slurs.

Also, fun fact: That committee the NFL put together to combat bullying 5 years still has yet to me. NFL can't stop NFLing! 

Saw that a while back. 'Accused of Bullying'

They really got the right fella, able to admit he's been bullied. And that admission of accusation was so big of him!

33 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Saw that a while back. 'Accused of Bullying'

They really got the right fella, able to admit he's been bullied. And that admission of accusation was so big of him!

Everything is upside down in 2018.

Trump is president

Incognito is an anti-bullying ambassador

Jace is in Experts

It's all wrong and gross and vile and worse!  

21 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Also, fun fact: That committee the NFL put together to combat bullying 5 years still has yet to me. NFL can't stop NFLing! 

Me fail english?  That's unpossible!

In the wake of the Dolphins saying they'd suspend players up to four games for kneeling for the anthem, the NFL has decided to reverse course and is putting the policy to force players to stand on hold. This is going to backfire massively (or bigly, if you will). Trump is the person the owners are most afraid of, and he's all but assuredly going to start tweeting about this again. The NFL is in a lose-lose situation with the players and the president, so they might as well decide to either play it before the players come on the field like they used to or just stop playing it all together. Frankly I think it's pretty stupid that teams play the national anthem(s) before games across sports. Should we play the anthem before every form of entertainment we enjoy? Should it be played in movie theaters? Should there be an honor rule in which we play it before we watch an episode of a TV show? I get a lot of entertainment here. Should I have to recite/play it before each post? Where will the madness end?

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

In the wake of the Dolphins saying they'd suspend players up to four games for kneeling for the anthem, the NFL has decided to reverse course and is putting the policy to force players to stand on hold. This is going to backfire massively (or bigly, if you will). Trump is the person the owners are most afraid of, and he's all but assuredly going to start tweeting about this again. The NFL is in a lose-lose situation with the players and the president, so they might as well decide to either play it before the players come on the field like they used to or just stop playing it all together. Frankly I think it's pretty stupid that teams play the national anthem(s) before games across sports. Should we play the anthem before every form of entertainment we enjoy? Should it be played in movie theaters? Should there be an honor rule in which we play it before we watch an episode of a TV show? I get a lot of entertainment here. Should I have to recite/play it before each post? Where will the madness end?

It's kind of Fascism lite.

Meanwhile, the Trump has already tweeted about this attempt at reconciliation. He says that 1st time kneelers must be kicked out for the game, 2nd time kneelers must be kicked out for the year.

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Meanwhile, the Trump has already tweeted about this attempt at reconciliation. He says that 1st time kneelers must be kicked out for the game, 2nd time kneelers must be kicked out for the year.

You're just getting it wrong . This is a free folk advocacy movement.  No kneelers.

I don't think they should trade Wilson . The chances that you're gonna strike big in a single draft class are miniscule and the chances of them finding another legitimate franchise qb soon are even more remote so what's the point of losing one of the best qb in the league for a chance of a maybe good lineman ? I don't like draft pick trades because people always seem to assume those picks are gonna turn into hits which statistically is not the case for most of the time where they usually turn into average to good players if not busts . Very rarely do they actually turn to legitimate superstar players of the caliber of Wilson so why trade the young superstar bird in your hand for a noise you heard in the bushes ?

On 7/20/2018 at 7:33 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

They should all take a knee! 

5 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

They should all take a knee! 

Agree. Make it as awkward and uncomfortable as possible for a few weeks. Everyone come out for pre game stuff, then kneel until the anthem starts playing, everyone stands for it then immediately after it's done everyone takes a knee again until the actual kickoff. Haters can't be mad if everyone is standing for the anthem right? Takes the fake outrage excuse away and puts the focus back on the real reasons why this all started. 

A local talk radio person had a good alternative, this week, the media assembles after every game for the press conference. Give a different player 5 minutes (vote on the issue each week) at the beginning of that conference to talk about their issue, then the media can report on or ignore it as they see fit. Gives the players a platform and isn't disruptive.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Agree. Make it as awkward and uncomfortable as possible for a few weeks. Everyone come out for pre game stuff, then kneel until the anthem starts playing, everyone stands for it then immediately after it's done everyone takes a knee again until the actual kickoff. Haters can't be mad if everyone is standing for the anthem right? Takes the fake outrage excuse away and puts the focus back on the real reasons why this all started. 

People will still be outraged because they will spin their own narrative. That’s how this has morphed from protests about police brutality to that players are protesting that flag, anthem, military etc.

A local talk radio person had a good alternative, this week, the media assembles after every game for the press conference. Give a different player 5 minutes (vote on the issue each week) at the beginning of that conference to talk about their issue, then the media can report on or ignore it as they see fit. Gives the players a platform and isn't disruptive.

That won't do anything. People won't see it, and the ones that will seek it likely are already informed and active about social issues. 

On 7/23/2018 at 5:56 PM, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

That won't do anything. People won't see it, and the ones that will seek it likely are already informed and active about social issues. 

Like how that statement is factual instead of IMO! It's about giving a voice and seeing how the media handles it. Let's face it, if the media hadn't searched every sideline hoping to find a kneeling player to spotlight this never would have blown up like it did, so to say it won't work isn't factual.

11 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Like how that statement is factual instead of IMO! It's about giving a voice and seeing how the media handles it. Let's face it, if the media hadn't searched every sideline hoping to find a kneeling player to spotlight this never would have blown up like it did, so to say it won't work isn't factual.

It would have blown over if our shithole President hadn't kicked it back up for his own cheap and petty political points-scoring.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It would have blown over if our shithole President hadn't kicked it back up for his own cheap and petty political points-scoring.

2 more years of it at a minimum. I just hate what this country is becoming, or has become.

23 hours ago, dbunting said:

They already have a voice, and it doesn't get them very far. That's why players have explicitly said it's most power when done on Sundays because that maximizes the number of people who see it. 

23 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

It largely already had. There were only a handful of players still protesting until Trump opened his mouth.

So training camps are getting started, might as well talk about football, right? 

What team (besides your own) do you think is most interesting going into the year?  Who are you most excited to see?

My choice would be the Houston Texans.  They have two great players in Watt and Watson coming back from injury, and both of those guys are as exciting as it gets if they stay healthy.  I feel like JJ Watt is one of the best ambassadors of the game for the NFL with his charity work in Houston, and so they're pretty fun to root for too.  They have some other strong pieces generally, although obviously they fell really flat last year.  Can they turn it around or are the Texans still stuck on the mediocrity treadmill?

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

So training camps are getting started, might as well talk about football, right? 

What team (besides your own) do you think is most interesting going into the year?  Who are you most excited to see?

My choice would be the Houston Texans.  They have two great players in Watt and Watson coming back from injury, and both of those guys are as exciting as it gets if they stay healthy.  I feel like JJ Watt is one of the best ambassadors of the game for the NFL with his charity work in Houston, and so they're pretty fun to root for too.  They have some other strong pieces generally, although obviously they fell really flat last year.  Can they turn it around or are the Texans still stuck on the mediocrity treadmill?

I'm watching the NFC West. Niners might become competitively relevant again, Seahawks are fading, and the Rams are loading up. Though it's a curious strategy to throw money at Gurley and Cooks but not Aaron Donald (who is now holding out).

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm watching the NFC West. Niners might become competitively relevant again, Seahawks are fading, and the Rams are loading up. Though it's a curious strategy to throw money at Gurley and Cooks but not Aaron Donald (who is now holding out).

My semi-bold prediction is that the Rams are going to underachieve this year.  Last year a lot of things went right for them in the regular season, and they convinced themselves that they could make a SB run by spending a bunch of money on some questionable character guys.  That strategy almost never works in the NFL.  I'm also concerned that Donald and Suh do not fit well together. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

My semi-bold prediction is that the Rams are going to underachieve this year.  Last year a lot of things went right for them in the regular season, and they convinced themselves that they could make a SB run by spending a bunch of money on some questionable character guys.  That strategy almost never works in the NFL.  I'm also concerned that Donald and Suh do not fit well together. 

I think the Rams are going to be monsters in the regular season, but they’ll get knocked out quickly in the playoffs. I’m not trying to be a homer here, but the Vikings gave the rest of the league the blueprint to destroying Goff. You have to make him wait to snap the ball so McVay can’t keep reading the defense for him. Once you hit the 15 second mark on the play clock, the radio goes silent and Goff is all on his own to screw things up. I still don’t think he’s a good QB.

Since there are so many interesting teams this year, I’m going to follow Dante’s lead and pick a division. I think the AFC North is fascinating. Outside of the Bengals (sorry Mex and Nic), there is a lot to watch and it can unfold in a myriad of ways. Is this finally the year that Big Ben falls off and the Steelers run collapses? Are the Browns good, and have they found their franchise QB? Same can be said with the Ravens and Jackson. It will be interesting to see who hits the field first and how they handle the NFL. Both guys could be stars or busts. And looking across the AFC, I think only one team from this division will make the playoffs, so it should be a dog fight all year and don’t be shocked if the team that takes it has less than 10 wins.

I've already admitted to being a pseudo Ravens fan on account of Lamarr Jackson. I'm also keen to see the Steeler Slump that has been around the corner for Tomlin's whole tenure. 

The Broncos are back in my good graces on account of Kase Ceenum, despite the repulsive Elway and Joseph duo. My big wildcard in the West is the Raidaaazzzz. On the one hand, I kinda grew a bit fond of Chucky and am old enough to remember that he was a Harbaugh before there were Harbaughs. And I wouldn't mind seeing a blueprint established for less pussyass offensive schemes. That being said, I also think it would be way more fun if they bombed. Especially with Grudens promise not to take the Raiders money if he's fired.

Pencil me in as a Rams doubter as well. If only because the hype is out of control.

Archived