NFL Thread: "Terrell Owens does what?" edition

Red Tiger

Re: Intriguing teams 

I just can't view Cleveland as intriguing until Hue Jackson is out of the picture. They had enough pieces last year to warrant that label, and yet they won only one game. And while Tyrod Taylor is a significant upgrade at QB from Kizer, I doubt it will be enough to really change things all that significantly. Plus, it looks as if Josh Gordon's status is questionable going into the season. 

Color me super intrigued about the 49ers, though; I'm kinda hoping for a Cinderalla story in which they actually win the division as the Rams' ultra-conglomerate of pro-bowl talent falls apart at the seams.

10 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Re: Intriguing teams 

I just can't view Cleveland as intriguing until Hue Jackson is out of the picture. They had enough pieces last year to warrant that label, and yet they won only one game. And while Tyrod Taylor is a significant upgrade at QB from Kizer, I doubt it will be enough to really change things all that significantly. Plus, it looks as if Josh Gordon's status is questionable going into the season. 

Color me super intrigued about the 49ers, though; I'm kinda hoping for a Cinderalla story in which they actually win the division as the Rams' ultra-conglomerate of pro-bowl talent falls apart at the seams.

Actually they won 0 games last year.

And it would be far more funny if Gimmy G SUCKS, although I don't expect him to.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

And it would be far more funny if Gimmy G SUCKS, although I don't expect him to.

Oh yeah woops, that was 2016 when they won one. Somehow they did even worse with all that talent on their team last year. Lolz

1 minute ago, IamMe90 said:

Oh yeah woops, that was 2016 when they won one. Somehow they did even worse with all that talent on their team last year. Lolz

Yeah, it's a shituation. Count me among the many who were wrong about Hue. I was a fan of his for seemingly reviving Jason Campbell's career in Oakland.

14 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

In the wake of his date I did some, ah, er, um, “research” to see who this woman was.

Homeboi won’t have anything left in his legs if they become a couple, so you never know.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

See I am not arguing that Roethberg isn't good. But I don't think he was ever a top 3 or 4 QB in his era. Call me retarded, but I like to imagine the HoF is for the best, not the also rans.

Was Jerome Bettis ever top 3 or 4 at his position? He actually may be a good analogue for Roethlisberger.

Steeler grade inflation for the HoF is a real thing.

Just now, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

In the wake of his date I did some, ah, er, um, “research” to see who this woman was.

Homeboi won’t have anything left in his legs if they become a couple, so you never know.

He already said they weren't an item, calling the date a 'learning experience'. Y'know, like Jameis Winston's 'Learning experience' about getting away with repeated assault on a person's sex.

That's still where we are, folks. Dating a chick who gets fucked for money is the equivalent of lite rape on an non-consenting adult.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Brady>Rodgers>Breesus>Manning, The Greater>Romo>Rivers

There's six I would have taken in a heartbeat over him throughout 90% of his career except for one or two seasons where he played better than Rivers or Romo.

That's without digging into guys who retired halfway into his tenure as a QB like Kurt Warner or Brett Favre/ cropped up later like Wilson or Ryan.

Again, not saying he wasn't a good player. But -and I absolutely understand I'm in the minority here- I get annoyed when players make the HoF on being a 'good' player/name recognition. It's the Hall of Fame. People who were the greatest of their era, not people who were the goodest in a great era.

It should be a little unfair that way. In 20 years we should look back and say "yeah, that was a hell of a QB era. Remember Rapeburger and Rivers? They were stone cold QB's and they might never make the Hall because Brady stepped on the AFC for literally a generation."

Also, it's revisionist history that the Steelers have been some juggernaut in the AFC. It was Manning and Brady with 2 weird years by the Steelers (one in which Brady was hurt) and 1 really weird year by the Ravens. (Not counting 2005, as the Age of Passing was in its infancy)

The Steelers have been elevated undeservedly to Superpower Status in the AFC purely because there was no one else with the slightest pedigree to talk up after Manning's arm fell off.

Since ‘04:

2 Superbowls

3 AFC championships

7 AFC North titles

10 playoff births

regular season record - 150-74

playoff record - 13-7

pretty damn good

19 minutes ago, unJon said:

Since ‘04:

2 Superbowls

3 AFC championships

7 AFC North titles

10 playoff births

regular season record - 150-74

playoff record - 13-7

pretty damn good

Plus, their WR1/RB1 tandem has completely dominated the rest of the league for years. People get excited about superstars. Given their success and the electric performances of Bell/Brown, it makes sense that they're considered a juggernaut. 

33 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Pretty damn good in the perpetually pathetic AFC. The Steelers are an annual borderline playoff team in the NFC

It is a pathetic conference with those damn Colts in it. 

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Yeah. They went 11-5 three years straight with a garbage roster. That's an indictment of the conference.

They probably would have won three SB’s with R-burger. :-p

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

More so that god awful division. 

You'll find no more informed detractor of the AFC South than your Empress, but don't piss on my hand and call it a manicure. Or are you gonna sit there and tell me the AFC East and West have been thunderdomes since I started bleeding out of my eyes, out of my wherever? And the North? Sure, the Ravens have been a pretty good team over the years. But the Bengals? Please. The fact that they had a playoff run of five years is just proof of my claims. The North, the BEST division in the AFC by a goddamn mile would be the worst division in the NFC and it's not even close.

Even the fucking Lions sometimes string together magical win totals, the Vikings and Packers are contenders more often than not. The NFC West had two tier 1 teams for a few years before the 49'ers collapsed and were replaced by a strong Cardinals team. The NFC South had the Saints always ready to drop 40 on somebody while the Falcons and Panthers played competitive ping-pong aside from one really bad year. And the NFC East is overrated as all fuck but at its worst had 4 sub average teams and at its best had some of the most exciting offenses in the sport. When Eli Manning is the dogface of the division, it's a pretty lively division.

Seriously, who the fuck is the AFC? I don't care about win totals and shit, on account of you play 3 times in your own conference to every game outside it, but going by the informed fan eyeball test. The NFC has always been a knife fight in a phone booth for a playoff spot whereas AFC drama is like watching two old people race towards climax in a fucking competition.

The most compelling AFC playoff wars since 2006 have been whether Brady or Manning would have the #1 seed. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. (Except the 2 where they were alternatively injured, go fuck yourself you little smartasses)

That's taking nothing at all away from Brady, make no mistake. GOAT all day and twice on Fundays. But he has had an extra easy trip to the playoffs for the entirety of the 2nd half of his career and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

8 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The Steelers defense was definitely a top unit in the late 00s, and with it Rothlisberger won two Super Bowls.  There are plenty of great defenses that never won the SB (the late 80s/early 90s Eagles are perhaps the best example).  And Rothlisberger's contribution in both of those playoff runs was substantial.  In 2006 played well on the road against Indy (including a game saving tackle of DB Nick Harper after he recovered Bettis' fumble) and Denver.  In 2010 he played very well against SD and Baltimore. 

I don't like the guy and I agree the HoF may wait a few years to induct him as a final tut-tuting about raping that woman, but arguing against his game is silly, he can definitely play. 

P. Manning, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers are no question HoF.  Eli probably is to just by virtue of playing in NY and two amazing playoff runs.  Rivers and Ryan are in similar boats where both have had some great seasons and have put up great career numbers, but both have been foiled from getting a ring by Tom Brady.  Ryan definitely makes it eventually, Rivers probably does too, although you never know. 

Stafford IMO isn't a Hall of Famer unless he gets some playoff success later in his career.  Yes, he's put up a ton of yards, but those Lions teams always underachieve and it's not like he hasn't had any talent around him.  I don't even see him as all that close, given that he'll be well behind guys like Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers in stats by the time he retires, and with no playoff success I don't really know what you point to as "this guy is truly great". 

The thing about Stafford is he is going to end up #1 in every passing category by a mile. Can you really keep the guy who ends up #1 in career yards and TDs passing out of the hall of fame?

And for the record, I think Stafford is a guy like Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers, who was so good that he masked how bad his head coaches have been and kept them employed for way too long, which in turn hampered his career.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Pretty damn good in the perpetually pathetic AFC. The Steelers are an annual borderline playoff team in the NFC

The Steelers have two of the most talented skill position players in the NFL, an excellent offensive line, a good head coach, a well above average QB, and objective success. This is a dumb take. The Packers are an annual borderline playoff team in the NFC.

11 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

The Steelers have two of the most talented skill position players in the NFL, an excellent offensive line, a good head coach, a well above average QB, and objective success. This is a dumb take. The Packers are an annual borderline playoff team in the NFC.

Tomlin is only a 'good' HC by dint of being in the AFC.

Archived