ARCHITECTS OF THE ASOIAF WORLD THE WINGED WOLF THE THREE EYED CROW THE ONLY GREEN SEER

stannisarcanine

Hi I came up with a theory its my first essay, also english is not my mother tongue so I apologize for any mistakes. spoilers for all the books

THE OLD GODS

So, from the following awesome videos the Wight trees by Joe magician, shade of the evening and the oily black stone by crow foods daughter of the disputed lands, they who move the pieces by Ideas of ice and fire And of course LML we can infer that the weirwoods were the old gods the best of the children of the forest and after the first men were preserved by being weighted and transform into the trees becoming the old gods.

Howard Philips lovecraft

Why jojen isn´t the Green seer of the two

Even though jojen has the more typical look

Bran: You're a greenseer.

Jojen: No, only a boy who dreams. The greenseers were more than that. They were wargs as well, as you are, and the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast that flies or swims or crawls, and could look through the eyes of the weirwoods as well, and see the truth that lies beneath the world.

Bran Stark and Jojen Reed A Storm of Swords, Chapter 9, Bran I.

So jojen doesn’t fulfill the criteria of being a warg neither does he seem to have the ability to use weirwoods , so in a way it sounds like it´s a position with certain requirements necessary to be filled to get the job, a job that from the following quote seems to be made for blood raven but we are also referred to green seers as persons

How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? the riddle ran. A thousand eyes, and one. Some claimed the King's Hand was a student of the dark arts who could change his face, put on the likeness of a one-eyed dog, even turn into a mist. Packs of gaunt gray wolves hunted down his foes, men said, and carrion crows spied for him and whispered secrets in his ear. Most of the tales were only tales, Dunk did not doubt, but no one could doubt that Bloodraven had informers everywhere

– thoughts of Duncan the Tall in The Mystery Knight.

A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. Greenseers.        

- Blood raven to Bran Stark  A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.

He was selected. not only because of his magical abilities but also for his proven abilities at orchestrating events his experience with spies as we know, however the most important thing for his selection was his knowledge as he needs to train his successor the man who is needed to restart the cycle anew bran.

And this two confirm that it is in fact brynden rivers

I wore many names when I was quick, but even I had a mother, and the name she gave me at her breast was Brynden.            

– Brynden Rivers to Meera Reed to Bran Stark A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.

I have my own ghosts, Bran. A brother that I loved, a brother that I hated, a woman I desired. Through the trees, I see them still, but no word of mine has ever reached them. The past remains the past. We can learn from it, but we cannot change it.             

– Brynden Rivers to ºBran Stark A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.

The following quotes name him the three eyed crow

"Close your eyes," said the three-eyed crow. "Slip your skin, as you do when you join with Summer. But this time, go into the roots instead. Follow them up through the earth, to the trees upon the hill, and tell me what you see”

Brynden Rivers to ºBran Stark A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34,Bran III

All of this makes it seem that they are one and the same however there are other contradicting quotes:

The crow is the raven's poor cousin. They are both beggars in black, hated and misunderstood.

- Aemon to Jon Snow, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.

Notice that George is making a distinction between crow and raven suggesting as they might be similar but separated entities

The sight of him still frightened Bran—the weirwood roots snaking in and out of his withered flesh, the mushrooms sprouting from his cheeks, the white wooden worm that grew from the socket where one eye had been. He liked it better when the torches were put out. In the dark he could pretend that it was the three-eyed crow who whispered to him and not some grisly talking corpse.

Thoughts of bran on brynden rivers, A Dance with Dragons - Bran III Chapter 34

"Are you the three-eyed crow?" Bran heard himself say. A three-eyed crow should have three eyes. He has only one, and that one red. Bran could feel the eye staring at him, shining like a pool of blood in the torchlight. Where his other eye should have been, a thin white root grew from an empty socket, down his cheek, and into his neck.

Bran to bloodraven A Dance with Dragons - Bran II Chapter 13

"A … crow?" The pale lord's voice was dry. His lips moved slowly, as if they had forgotten how to form words. "Once, aye. Black of garb and black of blood." The clothes he wore were rotten and faded, spotted with moss and eaten through with worms, but once they had been black. "I have been many things, Bran. Now I am as you see me, and now you will understand why I could not come to you … except in dreams. I have watched you for a long time, watched you with a thousand eyes and one. I saw your birth, and that of your lord father before you. I saw your first step, heard your first word, was part of your first dream. I was watching when you fell. And now you are come to me at last, Brandon Stark, though the hour is late."

Bloodraven to bran A Dance with Dragons - Bran II Chapter 13

Here bran has asked bloodraven if he is the three eyed crow to which his reply seems to be that she has no idea what he is talking about granted bloodraven may not care what form he appears in to bran or is not in a proper mental state to distinguish it.

This quotes tell us two important things Bran does not reconcile the two but has to make an effort to see them as the same which would make us a lean to other side of saying brynden rivers isn’t the three eyed crow but we have all that supporting evidence, but what if and this might sound crazy he is not the three eyed crow but he is, meaning the three eyed crow is part of him but it is not really him just like when bran wargs into hodor or varamyr six kins tries to warg the spear wife thystle that had been taking care of him but he failed,what we are proposing is that the three eyed crow is the true green seer not brynden because they are part of a binome that’s why bran is going to become the green seer the three eyed crow is going be part of but unlike both bran and varamyr can dominate other people without either being expelled or the original person sent to another part of his mind the quotes we established were proof that brynden can interact with other people in a conversation if needed unlike hodor that when he is being warged by bran  

The children are gone from the world, and their wisdom with them. It had to do with the faces in the trees, we think. The First Men believed that the greenseers could see through the eyes of the weirwoods. That was why they cut down the trees whenever they warred upon the children. Supposedly the greenseers also had the power over the beasts of the wood and the birds in the trees. Even fish.

-          Luwin to Bran Stark A Clash of Kings, Chapter 28, Bran IV.

Before we delve any further we have to explain two things:

There is a term called shapeshifter is used in many works of literature and mythology to refer to beings that can change their forms at will like loki Freya friga and odin in norse mythology one of George biggest influences or Nyarlathotep from Howard Philips lovecraft works one of the outer Gods in the Cthulhu mythos Nyarlathotep varies from alternate divinities in the Mythos in various ways. The greater part of the Outer Gods are banished to the stars, as Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth, and a large portion of the Great Old Ones are dozing and imagining like Cthulhu; Nyarlathotep, in any case, is dynamic and as often as possible walks through the Earth in the pretense of a person, as a rule a tall, thin, cheerful man. He has "a thousand" different forms.

The greater part of the Outer Gods have their own religions serving them; Nyarlathotep appears to serve these factions and deal with their issues in the other Outer Gods' absences. Most Outer Gods utilize odd non-human languages, while Nyarlathotep utilizes human languages and can without much effort pass as any person. At last, a large portion of them are almighty yet obviously without clear reason or plan, yet Nyarlathotep is by all accounts purposely beguiling and manipulative, and even uses agents to accomplish his objectives. In such manner, he is presumably the most human-like among the Outer Gods.

The Elder Gods have human-like appearance and seem to care about humanity. In various parts of the world, for example, Egypt, Mesoamerica, and the Mediterranean they were revered by the inhabitants . These days, they are recognized as the divine beings in pretty much every ancient civilization, including Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Aztec, and numerous others. There is the theory that they are forms of Nyarlathotep used to manipulate us so the old gods are a benevolent façade for the first men.

In the asoiaf series however instead of shape shifters there exist Skin changers that in lieu of changing forms change minds, so having the weirwoods as a reference to azatoth and the outer gods, George also borrowed Nyarlathotep as the green seer who uses the form of the three eyed crow, with jojen bran and euron:

“When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly. When I woke, I couldn’t... or so the maester said. But what if he lied?” A Feast for Crows-Chapter 29 The Reaver

And other forms to keep the plans of the children and the old gods that this is a preview for later videos is keeping humans in a cycle that repeats itself either to punish them from bringing the first long night or because they have discovered it as a system to keep them in line.

"I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth with grey stone chains," [Jojen] said. "It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."

"Did the crow have three eyes?" Jojen nodded. Summer raised his head from Bran's lap, and gazed at the mudman with his dark golden eyes. "When I was little I almost died of greywater fever. That was when the crow came to me."

"He came to me after I fell," Bran blurted. "I was asleep for a long time. He said I had to fly or die, and I woke up, only I was broken, and I couldn't fly after all."

- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 28, Bran IV

We have to remember that during Aegon´s conquest  Argella was sent  to Orys's camp, gagged, chained, and naked. Orys, however, removed the chains with his own hands, wrapped his cloak around her, and gave her food and wine and told her how courageous her father have been, here jojen and bran are delivering bran chained to the true green seer.

Crows are all liars. I know a story about a crow 

- A Game of Thrones, Old Nan to Bran Stark Chapter 24, Bran IV.

This is telling us that he probably tricked jojen into thinking his mission was freeing bran but he was only carrying him to where the three eyed crow needed him in order to make bran feel gratitude and be able to manipulate him in that way.

“The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong.     

– Brynden rivers, to Bran Stark A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.

So if it appears that bran is going to be an opponent of Jamie per gemma and kyle theory on them being Fenrir and tyr respectively, Jamie will go from being king slayer to old god slayer by destroying the old gods, probably by bran taking control for enough time so that jamie can kill the green seer by destroying the body he is in and blow himself up to destroy the weirwood net and create a world without gods guiding mankind in this asoiaf version of ragnarok.

On balance the three eyed crow is just an entity that uses bloodraven and will do the same with bran to carry out the designs of the old gods the children and the weirwoods so whilst bloodraven is the three eyed crow he is only part of a consciousness.

Archived