Littlefinger?

LadyNoOne

Hi Folks,

Lately,  I have been considering LF.  I am not sure he is completely self-serving.  I do believe he has formidable aspirations. 

• LF saved Sansa when he did not have to do this.  He tried to do this before she was married to Tyrion.  Of course, it is widely known that he wants her all to himself; yet, he went out of his way to rescue her as well as shelter her.  Her Aunt Lysa was perfect for this, and LF knew she loved him.
  • Did LF marry Lysa only to take power in the Vale?  I don't think so.  I think he did it because he could protect Sansa under a false name.
  • Was LF in love with Sansa?  I think he missed Cat very much that he loved Sansa by extension.  I believe he saw a beautiful, young girl who had been abused horribly, and that he wanted to protect her.
  • Did LF really betray Sansa before he was sentenced by her to die?  One may argue that he feared for her safety from Arya.  I do not think there was any real threat there, but I think he may have thought there was.
  • Why wasn't Lysa enough for LF in lieu of Cat?  Well, we all love who we do.  Sometimes there is no sense to it.  Maybe she was too easy a choice when LF prefers a challenge.
  • I've mentioned this before: the LF/Bolton situation was confusing.  I'm unsure why Cersei wouldn't have been alerted to this union.  I'm completely baffled by this, but I do not think LF wanted Sansa to be hurt.  Perhaps he felt the Boltons who are in close association with House Lanisstar could protect her.

What do people think? 

Oh man, @LadyNoOne, where to begin...

On 6/7/2018 at 7:34 PM, LadyNoOne said:
  • Did LF marry Lysa only to take power in the Vale?  I don't think so.  I think he did it because he could protect Sansa under a false name.

That's a novel idea... if LF really wanted to protect Sansa, maybe he could have not had Jon Arryn killed in the first place, let alone help the Lannisters capture and kill Ned.

• Was LF in love with Sansa?  I think he missed Cat very much that he loved Sansa by extension.  I believe he saw a beautiful, young girl who had been abused horribly, and that he wanted to protect her.

Littlefinger has had a lot of beautiful young women abused, most prominently Jeyne Poole in the books and Ros in the show.  As a demanding brothel owner, he has shown no compassion for helpless women.  His desire for Sansa and interest in protecting her may be genuine in the books, but it is creepy and borne out of some perverted revenge fantasy on Cat.  He does not love her because love is free, and he wants her completely under his control.

• Did LF really betray Sansa before he was sentenced by her to die?  One may argue that he feared for her safety from Arya.  I do not think there was any real threat there, but I think he may have thought there was.

It is hard to evaluate this ridiculous plot creation on the show.  LF's actions and motives in S5-S7 were inconsistent with his from S1-S4.  I largely think LF died for his past crimes of betraying Ned and killing Lysa, not for his suggestions that Arya is dangerous.

• Why wasn't Lysa enough for LF in lieu of Cat?  Well, we all love who we do.  Sometimes there is no sense to it.  Maybe she was too easy a choice when LF prefers a challenge.

Lysa was not beautiful enough and was a bit odd in personality.  LF just didn't like her that way.

• I've mentioned this before: the LF/Bolton situation was confusing.  I'm unsure why Cersei wouldn't have been alerted to this union.  I'm completely baffled by this, but I do not think LF wanted Sansa to be hurt.  Perhaps he felt the Boltons who are in close association with House Lanisstar could protect her.

It is universally recognized that having LF give Sansa to the Boltons in the show as opposed to fArya (Jeyne Poole) made absolutely no sense, so I won't even try.

I sort of enjoy LF's character and am very interested in his role as Sansa's mentor, but he is the most selfish person in the series.  Even the things he does for Sansa are really ultimately for his own benefit.  I did enjoy reading your original ruminations on him though!

Archived