HBO has ordered prequel series

LordImp

Didn't see a thread for this so I starts one. HBO has ordered a spin off series written by Jane Goldman. It will be a prequel series set thousands of years before GOT. 

If the pilot is ordered to a full series Goldman will be executive producer together with GRRM. And it can air as soon as 2020. 

Synposis:

Taking place thousands of years before the events of GAME OF THRONES, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the Golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.

ADVERTISING [X]

I thought any spin-off would also be based on GRRM's already written histories.  I both look forward to more backstory and also still mourn the changes HBO have made.

This was unexpected as a prequel choice, although it should be pretty interesting if they lean hard into the "magical Bronze Age" aspect of it.

2 hours ago, LordImp said:

it’s not the story we think we know.

I don't know about this bit from them. It sounds a lot like the story we know from Game of Thrones: "politics and war leading into a great winter calamity". 

14 minutes ago, Fall Bass said:

This was unexpected as a prequel choice, although it should be pretty interesting if they lean hard into the "magical Bronze Age" aspect of it.

I don't know about this bit from them. It sounds a lot like the story we know from Game of Thrones: "politics and war leading into a great winter calamity". 

What really got my interest was " the mysteries of the east" . I'm crossing my fingers we learn more about Asshai.

31 minutes ago, arantius said:

I thought any spin-off would also be based on GRRM's already written histories.  I both look forward to more backstory and also still mourn the changes HBO have made.

As far as I know the spin offs wasn't restricred to GRRM's existing material. Though this spin off kinda is based on TWOIAF if they dwell more into mysteries revealed there. 

If we get to see the Wall and Night's Watch shortly after their formation (Night's King and the Nightfort baby!) as well as Asshai and pre-Doom Valyria, along with some of the ancient cities on the Rhoyne, this could be pretty bad ass.

If the seemingly likely acquisition of Time-Warner, which owns HBO, by AT&T goes through, what effect, if any, will this have on the GOT prequel(s)?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/business/media/att-handle-hbo.html?

The cable network that gave the world “The Sopranos” and “Game of Thrones” is the glittering jewel of Time Warner. And now that a federal judge has emphatically rejected the Justice Department’s attempt to block the merger, it is much closer to being the property of a conservatively run company based in Dallas.

HBO’s would-be minders are experts in distribution systems and profit margins who know little or nothing about the ego-fueled dramas that help put the show in show business. Will these telecommunications executives be able to put up with the producers, directors and stars whose work gave the network 29 Emmys last year?

“HBO’s and AT&T’s cultures also come from a very different financial perspective,” said Gary Arlen, the head of Arlen Communications, a research firm that examines the media and telecommunications industries. “AT&T comes from a legacy of rate regulations, and every expense has to be justified.”

And on the personal level, how will the relationship go between Richard Plepler, the smooth-talking, perpetually tanned chief executive of HBO, and the man who would be his new boss, Randall Stephenson, a former national chairman of the Boy Scouts of America? The two executives seem as different from each other as the companies they run.

“AT&T is very much oriented toward technology, but it still comes from the mentality of pole climbers and operations guy,” Mr. Arlen said.

I was expecting and looking forward to The Dance of the Dragons (which hasn't necessarily been ruled out), but I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to this idea. If the Dance also goes ahead, the two prequels would be a good allegory of ice (the Long Night) and fire (the Dance). At any rate, it should be really interesting to see more of the Children of the Forest and get some more backstory on the Starks and the Others, and the suggestion that the story didn't go quite how we've heard it makes me really interested. I'm expecting some fun plot twists that will really change our perspective of events. I'm ready for 2020!

Archived