Details on Prequel Pilot Revealed

Westeros

Big news today, thanks to EW: HBO has ordered a pilot to be filmed of one of the several successor shows that have been in development, and we have a lot of details to go with it.

Copyright Marc Simonetti and Random House

The pilot will be from Jane Goldman, who has previously given hints about what she was working on. And the new report shows that yes indeed, there’ll be magical creatures of some kind in her work…

Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.

While some fans mused going that far back, we admit, it was something we considered quite unlikely because it’d surely give a vastly different feel to the setting. But HBO seems to have been quite intrigued. And, as the EW article notes, this doesn’t necessarily mean HBO is done with pilot orders, as the article notes, “ources say the other four prequel ideas are still under consideration.”

It should be stressed this is a pilot order, rather than a greenlight straight to series. HBO is known for being careful with productions, and often ordering pilots, many of which never end up being made. But it’s another step closer for there being some sort of Game of Thrones spinoff in 2020 or later.

View the full article

It figures - I was lamenting what a slow news cycle this weekend was...

….there isn't even a prequel novella surrounding the Long Night.  Just a few historical outline sketches...basically what's in the World book is all we have.  

Is this called "The Age of Heroes" or "The Long Night"?

(gasp) a WOMAN showrunner?  Will she have an actual "writer's room" of a full staff to share the burden and check each other's work, or will it be just the showrunners as in Game of Thrones?

Will they use the same (frankly, static) camerawork, or get a whole new visual look?

….most of the locations and families we knew barely appear in the Age of Heroes....King's Landing doesn't exist.  

The Starks and Boltons are around, but no Arryns, Tyrells, Baratheons, etc.  

Heck, is this even before or after Lann the Clever?

Logically there should be more direwolves thriving at this time, plus lots of CGI like Ice Spiders - will they actually put those in?  Or leave them out as they increasingly did in Game of Thrones? (live animals hard to work with)

….is this a one-shot, one year project?  Or an ongoing multi-season TV series?  It's possible HBO is just sampling them.

How long did you know about this before the announcement, Elio?

Hmm, well, this plot does leave room for new feats of magic and crazier plot lines, but I have a feeling it'll basically be the same as GOT, just a few thousands years earlier. According to wiki (heh) there was no Faith of the Seven or knights during this period, so it'll be interesting to see how they compensate for that. Unless they just eschew those details, of course. 

About the Last Hero is definitely not what I expected.

I wonder whether they chose it purely based on story or whether budget was a factor.  Anything set in Valyria or the Dance of the Dragons would've been berry expensive.

Could be interesting i'd say.

The stories in the world book and from the books so far seem to drop a lot of allegorical hints about heroes and villains on a cosmic scale and about magics swords being stabbed into someone's wife. But if all of that is just jumbled up versions of reality it gives quite a wide scope to explore the reality of what happened.

However, i'd prefer the past stayed clouded in mystery personally. There's something pretty neat about not showing us fully what happened. Same with Valyria, we don't need to know the full picture; just drop us the odd crumb here and there to add to the mystery.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I'll likely pass on that one. George has never written anything of note on that era, so why should I care?

If we ignore it, SOMEONE ELSE will control it.  

This time, we hold the reins.  This time, our boot is on their throat.  

Won't get fooled again.

1 hour ago, Dragon in the North said:

Someone else already controls it. Her name is Jane Goldman.

The narrative.  News sites controlling the narrative and telling us things like "TV Dorne is normal", "TV-Stannis is normal", "the Sansa rape is normal".

WE must hold the awesome power, of the fourth estate...

….but back to discussing plot elements...

Archived