Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

2 hours ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

That might actually help Morocco given that UEFA don't seem too fond of doing what FIFA ask of them. If the African block unites behind Morocco it'll be close- the prevailing wisdom from observers seems to be it's too close to call at this stage.

True, but when their main argument is that the greater revenues will mean more money for all it can be rather persuasive. Logistically, it makes sense for the european teams to back Morocco due to its proximity and Mediterranean climate.

7 hours ago, Vin said:

I don't like this new joint bids trend . Just have the damn thing in one country . Travel will be a nightmare .

It would be hard enough if was just in the US for the average fan to get around, let alone with Canada and Mexico thrown into the mix. Unfortunately joint bids will be the new normal now the competition has expanded to 48 teams - most countries just won’t be able to cope alone. But then the USA, one of the few places that could do so no problem, goes and invites its neighbours for political reasons.

28 minutes ago, I am Zlatan said:

True, but when their main argument is that the greater revenues will mean more money for all it can be rather persuasive. Logistically, it makes sense for the european teams to back Morocco due to its proximity and Mediterranean climate

It would be hard enough if was just in the US for the average fan to get around, let alone with Canada and Mexico thrown into the mix. Unfortunately joint bids will be the new normal now the competition has expanded to 48 teams - most countries just won’t be able to cope alone. But then the USA, one of the few places that could do so no problem, goes and invites its neighbours for political reasons.

Does Morocco have the infrastructure tho ? I have no idea but I never thought they had huge stadiums there .

Yeah I understand that politics get involved and that for the average country 48 is too much but damn is this annoying . They either pick places that are too hot (Qatar, south africa) or too unsafe for travelers(Brazil , kinda of a stereotype I know but still and I guess south Africa to a degree) I really enjoyed going in 2006 in Germany and have been wanting to go for a while but now my closest hope is lumped with Canada and mexico 

17 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Just been confirmed Lopetegui fired as Spanish coach. Crazy!

:lol: Fucking hell. I might have to revise my opinion on who's going to win the World Cup.

So, the World Cup starts tomorrow! With Russia against Saudi Arabia, that's inspiring.

I'm sticking with Germany . The unit is still cohesive, disciplined and efficient . 

I never saw Spain being a serious contender this year , a lot of talent but no real system to utilize it .

I don't really get what the issue is either. Ok, he's taking a club job after the World Cup, who cares? After the World Cup seems like a natural point to end an international manager's tenure anyway. Apparently they're irritated that he didn't tell them about negotiating with Real Madrid but that doesn't seem close to being a big enough issue to sack your undefeated coach 2 days before a World Cup over.

5 minutes ago, Vin said:

I never saw Spain being a serious contender this year , a lot of talent but no real system to utilize it .

They seemed to be utilising it ok when they put 6 goals past Argentina.

6 hours ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

That might actually help Morocco given that UEFA don't seem too fond of doing what FIFA ask of them. If the African block unites behind Morocco it'll be close- the prevailing wisdom from observers seems to be it's too close to call at this stage.

Thing is Africa is not totally behind Morocco. South African football federation has already stated publicly that we will support the North American bid and the countries falling under COSAFA usually follow South Africa's lead.

2 minutes ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

I don't really get what the issue is either. Ok, he's taking a club job after the World Cup, who cares? After the World Cup seems like a natural point to end an international manager's tenure anyway. Apparently they're irritated that he didn't tell them about negotiating with Real Madrid but that doesn't seem close to being a big enough issue to sack your undefeated coach 2 days before a World Cup over.

They seemed to be utilising it ok when they put 6 goals past Argentina.

It does sound like shinanigenz , I agree .

True , who knows , I could eat crow but I just don't see them going very far .

2 minutes ago, Marko Antonivic said:

Yeah I remember Conte taking the Chelsea job before the Euros when he was managing Italy and I think Van Gaal took the United job when he was managing Netherlands at the last WC. Never thought it was a thing that mattered before. 

Yeah, but Spain seem a bit cheesed off about how the deal to take him to Real Madrid was done, especially when you consider he signed a new contract just a few weeks ago.

12 hours ago, Vin said:

I don't like this new joint bids trend . Just have the damn thing in one country . Travel will be a nightmare .

The North American bid addresses this though. Groups will be in regional 'pods' to alleviate travel.

ETA. rumour is that Spain U21 manager,  Albert Celades, will take over. 

Also Leeds United have appointed Biesla. That should be interesting.

ETA 2. Spanish FA has confirmed that Fernando Hierro will take over from Lopetegui.

1 hour ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

The North American bid addresses this though. Groups will be in regional 'pods' to alleviate travel.

ETA. rumour is that Spain U21 manager,  Albert Celades, will take over. 

Also Leeds United have appointed Biesla. That should be interesting.

ETA 2. Spanish FA has confirmed that Fernando Hierro will take over from Lopetegui.

I admit that I am uninformed when it comes to the specifics of the proposal but I would like to be able to follow more than one group and that would be difficult if a game is in say Dallas and the next one you wanna watch is in Ottawa .

I like hierro . No idea if he's any good at coaching but he was a cool player ,reminds me of Ramos a bit lol 

On 6/11/2018 at 2:51 PM, Bern is Burning said:

The last champions that didn't face qualification to the next one was France.

That said, there's other teams that played more games (teams in Concacaf and Conmebol make more games usually.

So '02 was the last time a reigning champion was automatically qualified, then.

I knew Denmark failed to qualify as reigning champions for the Euros in 1996 (which was sort of my anchor timewise) and there were debates of abolishing the automatic qualification for the reigning champions back in the early nineties. I knew Germany was still qualified for the WC in '94, so based on Denmark I just guessed '98 might have been the last time for the champions not needing to qualify. 

But apparently I was off by one cycle. Thanks for the correction.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:13 PM, Iskaral Putsch said:

You're right.  How did I overlook that?  I'm surprised champions no longer have an automatic right to defend their title.  They seem more worthy of a spot than a host nation, especially Russia or Qatar.  Even South Africa was marginal.

Not necessarily. Germany in 1994 and Brazil in 2006 were just horrible teams to watch. I don't remember how France was doing in '02, but it cannot have been too impressive.

The host nations have to shoulder all the cost, and it's usually better for the general atmosphere if the hosts do well in the tournament, compared to early exits. Not to mention the hypothetical of not qualifying. And euphoria can carry a team quite a bit. Think of South Korea in '02 for instance. The German team in '06 was also not that impressive on paper, before the World Cup started.

37 minutes ago, Vin said:

I admit that I am uninformed when it comes to the specifics of the proposal but I would like to be able to follow more than one group and that would be difficult if a game is in say Dallas and the next one you wanna watch is in Ottawa .

Oh yeah, travelling is going to be a bitch for supporters who want to follow multiple teams. For international visitors following just their country, arranging groups regionally is really the best the organising committee can do. FIFA is probably very happy that the United bid won. That certainly means far more money than if Morocco won. 

1 minute ago, Notone said:

Not necessarily. Germany in 1994 and Brazil in 2006 were just horrible teams to watch. I don't remember how France was doing in '02, but it cannot have been too impressive.

IIRC, France were absolute pants in 2002. Eliminated without winning a game or scoring a goal.

3 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Oh yeah, travelling is going to be a bitch for supporters who want to follow multiple teams. For international visitors following just their country, arranging groups regionally is really the best the organising committee can do. FIFA is probably very happy that the United bid won. That certainly means far more money than if Morocco won. 

The real nuisance will probably start in the knock out stages. Brazil's already been a pain for teams with the different climates.

But going from Montreal to Florida looks unpleasent (for several reasons).

5 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

IIRC, France were absolute pants in 2002. Eliminated without winning a game or scoring a goal.

Yeah ,that makes sense ,just gotta suck it up I guess . Not the first turd that FIFA has shoved down our throats .

North America has been awarded the 2026 WC. 

The US showed everyone a valuable lesson: if you miss out on a bid to host a WC, spend the next few years crushing the organization for bribery and corruption until they see the error of their ways. 

Any guesses what “incentives” were offered by the North America bid team this time around?

Archived