Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

1 hour ago, Notone said:

I don't remember how France was doing in '02, but it cannot have been too impressive.

France are probably grateful you've forgotten. 

9 minutes ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

How many qualifying spots will CONCACAF get if three teams already qualify as hosts?  It could be a one-off opportunity for some of those small teams. 

Will three teams qualify as hosts? 

4 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

Will three teams qualify as hosts? 

Not yet confirmed.  Japan and S. Korea got the benefit of that, and the tournament is expanding.  So if US, Mexico and Canada will all host games, I was guessing they’d all get waved in. 

Imagine getting drawn in a group with Canada as the #1 seed. 

29 minutes ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Not yet confirmed.  Japan and S. Korea got the benefit of that, and the tournament is expanding.  So if US, Mexico and Canada will all host games, I was guessing they’d all get waved in. 

Imagine getting drawn in a group with Canada as the #1 seed. 

I read somewhere that USA, Mexico and Canada all qualify automatically as hosts, a further 3 qualifying spots for CONCACAF and 2 sides go into playoffs. So potentially 8 spots for CONCACAF and 6 guaranteed.

It's also been confirmed that the USA will host 60 out of the 80 games with Canada and Mexico getting 10 each. 

55 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

I read somewhere that USA, Mexico and Canada all qualify automatically as hosts, a further 3 qualifying spots for CONCACAF and 2 sides go into playoffs. So potentially 8 spots for CONCACAF and 6 guaranteed.

Speaks volumes of new format with 48 teams taking part, doesn't it?

3 hours ago, Notone said:

Not necessarily. Germany in 1994 and Brazil in 2006 were just horrible teams to watch. I don't remember how France was doing in '02, but it cannot have been too impressive.

Liverpool fans probably remember France ‘02 fondly, as they lost to Senegal in the first game, giving Senegal a platform to perform impressively and in the end getting El-Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao to Anfield...

19 minutes ago, Man of the Tusk said:

Liverpool fans probably remember France ‘02 fondly, as they lost to Senegal in the first game, giving Senegal a platform to perform impressively and in the end getting El-Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao to Anfield...

They'd already been signed pre World Cup. I do remember thinking they were going to be great after watching them at the World Cup though. Turns out they, er, weren't.

2 hours ago, Vin said:

Speaking of which, there's usually a few relatively unknown stand out youngsters every tournament. Any guesses for this one ?

This gets increasingly unlikely, because pretty much any standout talent this days is scooped early by a rich European team (in many cases, being loaned out immediately afterwards).

2 minutes ago, Bern is Burning said:

This gets increasingly unlikely, because pretty much any standout talent this days is scooped early by a rich European team (in many cases, being loaned out immediately afterwards).

True but I think the world cup definitely helped create some names and push them even further , James Rodriguez and kaylor navas for example benefited greatly from the world cup .

2 minutes ago, Vin said:

True but I think the world cup definitely helped create some names and push them even further , James Rodriguez and kaylor navas for example benefited greatly from the world cup .

Navas and Rodriguez were not really unknowns. Navas was excellent for both Albacete and Levante in La Liga (definitely considered one of the top GKs in the league) and Rodriguez was tearing it up in Portugal for Porto before moving to Monaco for big money (40 odd million which was a big transfer at the time) before the WC. The WC did make them more of a household name though.

9 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Navas and Rodriguez were not really unknowns. Navas was excellent for both Albacete and Levante in La Liga (definitely considered one of the top GKs in the league) and Rodriguez was tearing it up in Portugal for Porto before moving to Monaco for big money (40 odd million which was a big transfer at the time) before the WC. The WC did make them more of a household name though.

Yeah but minus the world cup , James never makes it to Madrid and cost as much as he did .

2 hours ago, Vin said:

Speaking of which, there's usually a few relatively unknown stand out youngsters every tournament. Any guesses for this one ?

I can’t see any relative unknown announce themselves as world stars in one tournament anymore, but a few who I think could boost their reputation (from unknown to well know or well known to star, etc) are Milinkovic Savic, Jovic, Lozano, Harit, Cueva (not that young though), Pavard and Jahanbakhsh.

6 minutes ago, Vin said:

Yeah but minus the world cup , James never makes it to Madrid and cost as much as he did .

Would have been better for his career if he never went to Madrid in the first place.

As I said, the WC increased their profiles but neither Navas nor Rodriguez were unknowns. Rodriguez was considered to be one of the top talents in Europe before the WC. He only ended up at Monaco because their Russian billionaire owner was throwing around silly money at the time. It's how Falcao ended up there as well even though he was considered to be among the top #9s in world football at the time.

5 minutes ago, I am Zlatan said:

I can’t see any relative unknown announce themselves as world stars in one tournament anymore, but a few who I think could boost their reputation (from unknown to well know or well known to star, etc) are Milinkovic Savic, Jovic, Lozano, Harit, Cueva (not that young though), Pavard and Jahanbakhsh.

I really like jovic

3 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Would have been better for his career if he never went to Madrid in the first place.

As I said, the WC increased their profiles but neither Navas nor Rodriguez were unknowns. Rodriguez was considered to be one of the top talents in Europe before the WC. He only ended up at Monaco because their Russian billionaire owner was throwing around silly money at the time. It's how Falcao ended up there as well even though he was considered to be among the top #9s in world football at the time.

That's moot really . And he didn't do badly at Madrid.

I get that but I was just curious if someone unexpected was gonna dominate. 

2 minutes ago, Vin said:

I get that but I was just curious if someone unexpected was gonna dominate. 

I don't think you are going to find some unexpected gem these days. Maybe someone like Timo Werner who is already a well known and coveted player could raise his profile even further with a top WC showing and spur one of the wealthy clubs to make a big money bid for him. Another very talented player who could raise his profile is Mateo Kovacic - he's not unknown either and is already seen as the successor to Modric both at club and international level.

2 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

I don't think you are going to find some unexpected gem these days. Maybe someone like Timo Werner who is already a well known and coveted player could raise his profile even further with a top WC showing and spur one of the wealthy clubs to make a big money bid for him. Another very talented player who could raise his profile is Mateo Kovacic - he's not unknown either and is already seen as the successor to Modric both at club and international level.

Makes you appreciate the quality of scouts these days ,no ?

There's been some rumors of Werner to Madrid , a good world cup can boost that I guess .

Archived