Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

1 minute ago, Bern is Burning said:

Now that I think about it, I'm struggling to remember who was the last truly unknown (or virtually unknown) player to make a splash at the WC. 

I'd have loved to see Vinicius Junior and Rodrygo. Real Madrid have dropped (or are about to drop) 90 million to sign the both of them. Outside Brazil, I doubt many would have even heard of these guys but from what I've read, they are considered to be the top talents in Brazil. Unfortunately neither have made the squad which is understandable given that both are only 17.

2 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

I'd have loved to see Vinicius Junior and Rodrygo. Real Madrid have dropped (or are about to drop) 90 million to sign the both of them. Outside Brazil, I doubt many would have even heard of these guys but from what I've read, they are considered to be the top talents in Brazil. Unfortunately neither have made the squad which is understandable given that both are only 17.

Rodrigo has only made a few games in the top level. Vinicius Jr. is progressing well, but Brazil has far better options these days.

Bouhafsi reporting that Martial wants to leave United. Can't really blame him. Straight from Martial's agent:

It is important to remember that this season he scored 11 goals and gave ten assists in five months. He was elected three times players of the month by the fans. Then arrived the transfer window of January. I will not comment on the consequences of this transfer window. Everyone will have his opinion, I think he must resume the course of his career. The time has come.

8 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Vinicius jr already signed last year ,no ? They just left him in Brazil tell he gets 18 . 

1 minute ago, Vin said:

Vinicius jr already signed last year ,no ? They just left him in Brazil tell he gets 18 . 

Don't know. Maybe there was a verbal agreement or something. It's only been recently reported that Real have completed a €45m deal for him.

2 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Don't know. Maybe there was a verbal agreement or something. It's only been recently reported that Real have completed a €45m deal for him.

Probably because I definitely remember reading about them signing him last year but waiting so they don't run afoul of under age signing rules again.

2 hours ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Bouhafsi reporting that Martial wants to leave United. Can't really blame him. Straight from Martial's agent:

Spurs apparently want him. Could see him flourishing under poch. 

The Alexis transfer was so stupid for United. 

5 hours ago, Bern is Burning said:

Now that I think about it, I'm struggling to remember who was the last truly unknown (or virtually unknown) player to make a splash at the WC. 

The thing that amazes me is how many clubs are prepared to take 5 or 6 performances as a benchmark and bid accordingly. 

7 hours ago, Bern is Burning said:

Not a WC, but Bartosz Kapustka came out of nowhere to impress everyone at the last Euros.

The fact that he has since played an entire 10 competitive matches for his clubs says that tournament football isn't necessarily the best for judging quality in players...

That said, while unknown revelations are unlikely (though not impossible, and there are a couple of teams there this year- Tunisia for example - whose star players aren't very well known), there are gonna be a lot of players where this is the first time most people have really seen them play. Even someone like Milinkovic-Savic. Heck, anyone who doesn't play for a team that does well in European competitions is likely to be being seen for the first time by the majority of fans (including me) in nations other than their own and the one they play in.

8 hours ago, Bern is Burning said:

While not a young talent 4 years ago, Keylor Navas certainly a made a splash, and he went from modest Levante to main GK at Real Madrid.

8 hours ago, Marko Antonivic said:

Spurs apparently want him. Could see him flourishing under poch. 

The Alexis transfer was so stupid for United. 

I don't think united will let him go . Madrid should go after him but knowing united it'll turn into a weird bale/de gea/martial/navas cluster fuck of a proposal.

Yeah , that never made sense to me . His value definitely plummeted. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The thing that amazes me is how many clubs are prepared to take 5 or 6 performances as a benchmark and bid accordingly. 

I agree but clubs are so eager to get an edge on the next big thing that they're willing to gamble . I mean 2 years ago 50 million for a 17 year old who's never played outside of Brazil would've been considered preposterous .

2 hours ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

That said, while unknown revelations are unlikely (though not impossible, and there are a couple of teams there this year- Tunisia for example - whose star players aren't very well known), there are gonna be a lot of players where this is the first time most people have really seen them play. Even someone like Milinkovic-Savic. Heck, anyone who doesn't play for a team that does well in European competitions is likely to be being seen for the first time by the majority of fans (including me) in nations other than their own and the one they play in.

I agree with this especially when it comes to African and middle eastern teams . Who knows where the next maharez is . Is anyone even looking for him ?

3 hours ago, Vin said:

I don't think united will let him go . Madrid should go after him but knowing united it'll turn into a weird bale/de gea/martial/navas cluster fuck of a proposal.

Martial would go from bench player for United to bench player for Madrid. They've just dropped big money for a left winger (Vinicius Jr), still have Ronaldo who prefers to drift in from the left, Bale, Isco and Asensio who can play on both sides of a front 3 and a manager who prefers his young, Spanish players. I think the most likely destination would be Juve or maybe Bayern.

A number of reports surfacing that Real Madrid are in for Allisson. Hopefully that's true.

4 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Martial would go from bench player for United to bench player for Madrid. They've just dropped big money for a left winger (Vinicius Jr), still have Ronaldo who prefers to drift in from the left, Bale, Isco and Asensio who can play on both sides of a front 3 and a manager who prefers his young, Spanish players. I think the most likely destination would be Juve or Bayern.

A number of reports surfacing that Real Madrid are in for Allisson. Hopefully that's true.

To be honest I sometimes forget the Italian league exists lol 

Bayern are a good fit with how old and injury prone their wings are . 

I actually believe the best fits for him are in England but I don't see united letting that happen.

I'm not really sold on Allison yet . I think he's good but I'm not really convinced he's that big of an upgrade from navas . Need to see more .And with the inflation of the market you know he's gonna cost a lot and I say if you're gonna pay up either way might as well go with the world class option in de gea . I honestly wouldn't mind if they payed 100 million for him . 

Speaking of keepers , what's the latest on butland ?

1 minute ago, Vin said:

To be honest I sometimes forget the Italian league exists lol 

Bayern are a good fit with how old and injury prone their wings are . 

I actually believe the best fits for him are in England but I don't see united letting that happen.

I'm not really sold on Allison yet . I think he's good but I'm not really convinced he's that big of an upgrade from navas . Need to see more .And with the inflation of the market you know he's gonna cost a lot and I say if you're gonna pay up either way might as well go with the world class option in de gea . I honestly wouldn't mind if they payed 100 million for him . 

Speaking of keepers , what's the latest on butland ?

It always baffles me that every season Real Madrid are looking for a goalkeeper yet Navas has not done much wrong and played an important role in the club winning 3 CL titles on the spin. Plus 31 is not old for a keeper. 

In England, I think only Chelsea or Spurs might be interested in Martial but I'm not convinced that either would stump up the money (the same holds true for both Juve and Bayern) and United aren't going to sell on the cheap. United's mouthpiece, Simon Stone, has reported that the club have no intention of selling him and reminded everyone that the club can trigger a one year extension clause effectively placing Martial under contract until June 2020. Martial is also very limited in the positions he could play - he's really only effective as an inside forward off the left. 

No idea about Butland. Very unreliable sources i.e. shit stains like the Sun, Daily Star and Express have been linking him with Liverpool and Wolves.

35 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

I wonder what this will mean for Courtois. Talks with Chelsea regarding extending his contract seem to have hit an impasse. I doubt it is down to money, as Chelsea are probably willing to pay him as well or better than Real Madrid would. I'd imagine, going by his comments after the FA cup final, that it is more down to the situation at the club: no Champions League football next season, manager in limbo, Hazard not signing a new contract etc.

Obviously PSG could still come in for him, but apparently his kids live in Madrid with their mother, so going to Real Madrid seemed like the best option for him career-wise and for his personal life.

26 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

No idea about Butland. Very unreliable sources i.e. shit stains like the Sun, Daily Star and Express have been linking him with Liverpool and Wolves.

I don't see Butland being good enough for Liverpool and I doubt he would be happy on the bench. Wolves' first choice will likely be Patricio, given the Gestifute link and him being, quite ludicrously, on a free after resigning from Sporting. West Ham would be a good fit if they aren't happy with Adrian.

Archived