Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

31 minutes ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

I wonder what this will mean for Courtois. Talks with Chelsea regarding extending his contract seem to have hit an impasse. I doubt it is down to money, as Chelsea are probably willing to pay him as well or better than Real Madrid would. I'd imagine, going by his comments after the FA cup final, that it is more down to the situation at the club: no Champions League football next season, manager in limbo, Hazard not signing a new contract etc.

Obviously PSG could still come in for him, but apparently his kids live in Madrid with their mother, so going to Real Madrid seemed like the best option for him career-wise and for his personal life.

With this type of personal interest you'd think a deal would've been within reach because Madrid have show  interest but I think Allison getting thrown in the mix altered the equation for a lot of teams that were looking for keepers.

45 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

It always baffles me that every season Real Madrid are looking for a goalkeeper yet Navas has not done much wrong and played an important role in the club winning 3 CL titles on the spin. Plus 31 is not old for a keeper. 

In England, I think only Chelsea or Spurs might be interested in Martial but I'm not convinced that either would stump up the money (the same holds true for both Juve and Bayern) and United aren't going to sell on the cheap. United's mouthpiece, Simon Stone, has reported that the club have no intention of selling him and reminded everyone that the club can trigger a one year extension clause effectively placing Martial under contract until June 2020. Martial is also very limited in the positions he could play - he's really only effective as an inside forward off the left. 

No idea about Butland. Very unreliable sources i.e. shit stains like the Sun, Daily Star and Express have been linking him with Liverpool and Wolves.

True but navas can be inconsistent and at times makes horrible mistakes (I still shudder everytime I remember that spill against Dortmund) and Madrid have been spoiled with a smooth transition from a great era with Paco buyo to an even stronger keeper in casillas who's arguably one of the best to ever stand in goal . So I think it's understandable that people aren't 100% satisfied with just mostly good performance from navas .

Yeah, I don't see anything developing from that situation .

Well Liverpool certainly need a new keeper and he won't be expensive.

3 minutes ago, Vin said:

Well Liverpool certainly need a new keeper and he won't be expensive.

I don't think Butland is an upgrade over Karius. Klopp has shown that he is not going to make a signing just for the sake of it. They failed to get VVD in the summer but Klopp did not go out and sign any old CB just because they needed to fill that position.

Liverpool have also been linked with Cillessen. There's been rumours about Oblak as well but I don't think Liverpool will spend €100m on him and Atleti will not sell for less than the buyout clause. Also talk that Atleti are ready to offer Oblak a bumper new contract with a €200m buyout.

22 hours ago, Vin said:

Speaking of which, there's usually a few relatively unknown stand out youngsters every tournament. Any guesses for this one ?

Golovin just had a hell of a good first half. He’s already been linked with Juve though so I’m not sure how unknown he is (I’ve never heard of him till today) Could see his price tag going up. 

1 hour ago, Warm-hands said:

Despite their little attractive brand of football, I would actually love to see Atleti clinch a CL or LaLiga title next year. Barça & Real have been ruling on Spanish football for too long. Time for Simeone to get some credit.

Not that I'd object to Atleti winning either competition (assuming we pathetically give up in Europe again this season of course) but they've already won La Liga once and Simeone is hardly short of credit?

Surprised no one posted this crazy news about Sporting - Sporting Lisbon: 7 players terminate contracts after training ground attack

Seven Sporting Lisbon players have terminated their own contracts in response to an attack by fans, the Portuguese Players' Union has said.

Four members of Portugal's World Cup squad - Rui Patricio, William Carvalho, Gelson Martins, and Bruno Fernandes - have joined Ruben Ribeiro, Bas Dost and Daniel Podence in leaving.

Can the players be bought on a free or reduced valuation?

24 minutes ago, Ancalagon El Pistolero said:

It'll probably depend on the court case when Sporting try and prevent them terminating their contracts that I'd imagine is in the offing. Still, it's hard to say the players don't seem to be in the right on this.

ETA: Rhian Brewster's apparently agreed to sign a contract with Liverpool after all.

This was expected after the attack tbh and comes as no surprise. Players and staff have a legitimate case of terminating their contracts for just cause. Plus the club's president, Bruno De Carvalho, is a massive cunt whose actions have emboldened Sporting's ultras. 

24 minutes ago, Ancalagon El Pistolero said:

They would be able to leave for free if the court upholds the contract terminations.

Archived