Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

In non-WC news, 17-year-old Erling Håland, son of Alf Inge Håland if anyone remembers him, has just scored four goals in 20 mins (one penalty), reportedly with scouts from MUFC in the stands. I wonder if he's none too keen (get it?) to go there, considering... :P

As the years roll on, I find myself less and less interested in national team matches, World Cups included.

Might be because my national team quality is decreasing over the years, might be because I don't have as much time to watch the tournament as I did while growing up or who knows what other reason, I just don't care as much.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Salah just signed a new 5yr contract extension, with no release clause. 

Let’s hope he gets some rest and is not too fatigued after a long season.

It is good news but I think he still had 4 years left on his previous contract with no release clause so it's basically a one year extension and a significant pay rise. It's probably not the significant statement it's being made out to be in a few places.

Arsenal finalize Sokratis Papastathopoulos today and Lucas Torreira's father said that he'll head to London after the World Cup for medicals. Sokratis is ok but I'm super excited about Torreira. Seems like a player Arsenal has needed for 8 years.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Arsenal finalize Sokratis Papastathopoulos today and Lucas Torreira's father said that he'll head to London after the World Cup for medicals. Sokratis is ok but I'm super excited about Torreira. Seems like a player Arsenal has needed for 8 years.

Yeah pretty much. I was hoping Xhaka would be that, but he's not nearly as defensive as Torreira is, plus Torreira does seem to have a decent forward play too!

I really wanted Torreira for Liverpool when it was assumed Jorginho was going to City and before the Fabinho deal came out of nowhere. He’s impressed me every time I’ve watched Sampdoria and he’s been really good in this WC as well 

What do we think about the rumours linking Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus?

I thought his wages demands would have ruled a move to Juventus out to begin with, considering Neymar and Messi have overtaken him with their respected salaries at PSG and Barcelona. 

True, but, if you read Mormont's link, you'll see there seems to be a bit more heat around the Ronaldo to Juve link compared to other potential moves in previous transfer windows. On top of that, Florentino Perez doesn't seem as keen to give into Ronaldo's new contract demands as he was in previous years, as, despite Ronaldo still being at the top of the game, he is 33.

These Ronaldo to Juve rumours seems to have legs. Very reliable journalists in Di Marzio, Romano and Agresti are all reporting that there is genuine interest and that Juve are preparing a bid. They are also saying that Ronaldo is interested in joining Juve. This is certainly more than the usual "Ronaldo angling for a pay raise at Real Madrid" that we usually get.

The glaringly obvious downside to Ronaldo signing for Juventus: one sure way for one of the least competitive leagues in Europe to become even less competitive is for the side that's won the title six years on the trot to sign the best player in the world. 

Though, saying that, it would better equip Juventus for the Champions League, whichwould put them in a good position to be the first team outside of Spain to win the competition since Bayern in 2013.

Archived