Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

I've not seen that, but I'm not surprised he's going. I figured either he or Bale would end up at Juventus or Bayern this summer. With the wages Man I are paying Sanchez, I didn't think it was likely they'd be going in for either. 

Wages aren't really an issue for United - remember Zlatan was on big wages and he left plus Carrick was also one of the top earners at the club and he has now retired. The club's wage/revenue ratio is either the lowest or second lowest in the league (Spurs might be lower) and even the short term cost control regulations don't really affect United much because the club is less reliant on premier league broadcasting income than every other club in the league.

However, I doubt Ronaldo would rejoin United even if we do show an interest. He still wants to win things and be in contention for the CL and Ballon d'Or. At Juve, he's practically guaranteed the league title and Juve are among the genuine contenders for the CL whereas at United, if fans are being honest with themselves, we are not even guaranteed a top 4 finish. 

Plus I think he’s probably more suited to a slower paced league now. He ultimately had a good season last year but he really managed his workload for Real; both within games and across the season. He pretty much phoned it in for the first half of the league season before having an excellent 2018.

5 hours ago, It'sAlwaysWinterInScotland said:

I've not seen that, but I'm not surprised he's going. I figured either he or Bale would end up at Juventus or Bayern this summer. With the wages Man I are paying Sanchez, I didn't think it was likely they'd be going in for either. 

Bayern can't or won't pay the wages Ronaldo demands. Maybe Bale's if he accepts a cut, but definately not Ronaldo's. Just for comparission sake, Lewandowski earns (rumoredly) around 10m € per year at Bayern, and he is a top earner there (if not the top earner). Kimmich otoh is rumoredly on a 3m € per year contract. So I really don't see them paying Ronaldo's wages. Bale with a cut could be around the 10-12m € per year wage range. And Bayern are rumoredly atm more interested in trimming their squad size down, with Bernat a top candidate to leave. Which would make sense, if the rumors are true that Pavard will be joining them next year.

On the plus side of Uruguay going out, at least Torreira gets closer to reality. I was pretty impressed with his play in the World Cup and think he'll add exactly what Arsenal have been looking for. Just hope he plays.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:53 PM, Notone said:

Bayern can't or won't pay the wages Ronaldo demands. Maybe Bale's if he accepts a cut, but definately not Ronaldo's. Just for comparission sake, Lewandowski earns (rumoredly) around 10m € per year at Bayern, and he is a top earner there (if not the top earner). Kimmich otoh is rumoredly on a 3m € per year contract. So I really don't see them paying Ronaldo's wages. Bale with a cut could be around the 10-12m € per year wage range. And Bayern are rumoredly atm more interested in trimming their squad size down, with Bernat a top candidate to leave. Which would make sense, if the rumors are true that Pavard will be joining them next year.

Yeah, it was more Bale that I thought would end up at Bayern - though I also thought he was the less likely to be willing to go, as his young family are settled in Madrid now - but that was also before Ribery signed an extension (albeit on reduced wages, I think). 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Oh West Ham fans, prepare to be frustrated, but also hopeful, with Jack Wilshere 

Ha ha.  Believe me, I’m already sooo excited for fit Jack Wilshere and sooo terrified of perpetually-injured Jack Wilshere.  His injury record over the last couple of seasons isn’t really that bad, but, of course, that doesn’t erase the years of injury misery previous. 

I feel like most West Ham fans are equally alternating between optimism and nervousness.  But Andy Carroll could use a drinking buddy, and really who better could he ask for?

Sad to see him go on a free - he's a talented enough player that if he had a contract Arsenal could have easily gotten a decent price for him, even with the injury history. With a guaranteed starting place and in a new environment this could come off nicely for him and for West Ham. I'll console myself with the fact that if he had stayed in the Arsenal environment that was still never going to happen.

Reports out of France saying that Fulham have not yet agreed terms with Seri and the player favours moving elsewhere. Rumours that both Dortmund and Chelsea are interested as well.

Ronaldo to Juve is getting closer. Di Marzio, Romano as well as various reports out of Spain including reliable Madrid reporter, Josè Luis Sànchez, are all saying that Perez will accept the €100m bid from Juve. 

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Club.

Also, looks like Real Madrid is confirming Ronaldo to Juventus. Crazy.

Yeah that’s why I was asking. So Real Madrid get $100m euros and then Juventus gets to negotiate a deal with Ronaldo? So is this how the smaller clubs rise of the ranks? Get young stars for cheap and then sell them to the major clubs so they can slowly expand?

2 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Yeah that’s why I was asking. So Real Madrid get $100m euros and then Juventus gets to negotiate a deal with Ronaldo? So is this how the smaller clubs rise of the ranks? Get young stars for cheap and then sell them to the major clubs so they can slowly expand?

Yup but reality is that smaller clubs hardly ever rise. The rich get richer and the smaller clubs try to stay afloat by developing young talent. The only real way a smaller club rises is a confluence of factors including luck like with Leicester or a rich oligarch/oil guy buys them and sinks a shitload of money into the club.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:45 AM, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

I know that twitter is full of people you shouldn't pay attention to but the amount of people who seem to think that it's alright that Madrid are selling Ronaldo coz Vinicius Jr is arriving next week is fucking depressing.

They will buy Hazard, Neymar, or Mmmmmbop right? Hazard probably most realistic. Been a while since Madrid really spent on a high profile signing. Cant see them not doing it now. 

7 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

If the youngsters don't let their contracts run down and leave on a free. And talent scouting/poaching starts quite early, and the big club also have their academies.

But usually yes, get them young, hope they develop well, and then either rise thru the ranks with them or at least pick up a nice fee when they leave. For lower clubs reality is more like pick up rejects, who are good, but were not quite good enough to break thru at the big clubs and give them a chance to show what they are capable of. The lower you go down the food chain the less likely you actually are to encounter a real gem. Oh, and be prepared that big clubs poach at your own academy (you get some compensation if they break thru and get sold, depending on how long they were at your club).

13 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

They will buy Hazard, Neymar, or Mmmmmbop right? Hazard probably most realistic. Been a while since Madrid really spent on a high profile signing. Cant see them not doing it now. 

I can't see why PSG would sell Neymar or Mbappe, it's not like they need the money.

Hazard's a possibility but Lopetegui's apparently a big Isco fan. I suppose it's not a very Real Madrid thing to do but the obvious thing seems like to just rejig the team a bit now they don't have to cover for Ronaldo without the ball and play Isco and Asensio more.

ETA: Apparently it's a 4 year deal at Juve. That's a bit of a gamble.

Archived