Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

I think it's gonna be between Hazard and Kane, with Kane the more likely in the wake of Ronaldo leaving if he does because he scores the goals.

Mbappe's already turned Madrid down once and seems happy where he is for now, and I think even Madrid might be looking at Neymar and thinking he's more effort than he's worth.

3 minutes ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

I can't see why PSG would sell Neymar or Mbappe, it's not like they need the money..

Doubt they would unless a player forced a move like Coutinho or Dembele which is always possible when Madrid comes calling.

yeah I guess Kane and Icardi are likely candidates as well since they need to upgrade on Benzema. 

It's going to be tough for Real to get Neymar, Mbappe or Kane. I'd say Hazard is the most likely and Icardi as well. Kane just signed a new contract so it's probably going to take a world record offer for Levy to even consider it. 

I'd have thought that Real's new front line would be a Hazard - Icardi - Salah. 

Three excellent, quite young, versatile attackers playing at a great level in medium club (I am aware that Pool just reached a CL final, but let's be honest, when it comes to sell their best players to a Spanish giant, they're as competent as Spurs), who may not stay where they are for a long time.

At the moment, I just feel a bit surprised to not hear any reports about Real being interested in Salah. They were linked to Icardi at some point too.

I’m not sure if the Ronaldo deal will kick off a galactico version of musical chairs, or if Real will focus on existing talent like Isco and Asensio.  Bale and Benzema could be moved on too, which would definitely lead to them recruiting a top class attacker or too.  Barcelona have added Suarez and Coutinho in recent years and RM has looked stale in that period despite winning three CLs in a row. 

As much as I want him to stay, I think Hazard will be at Real Madrid next season. I don’t think he can be Ronaldo’s replacement, though. Ronaldo is the greatest goalscorer in football; Real Madrid can’t just sell him and not try to replace him with a goalscorer. As brilliant as Hazard is, and he will probably score more goals at Real Madrid, he is not a prolific goalscorer. 

8 hours ago, Jeor said:

Sad to see him go on a free - he's a talented enough player that if he had a contract Arsenal could have easily gotten a decent price for him, even with the injury history. 

Liverpool don’t seem to be getting many offers for Sturridge, in a reasonably similar situation and still under contract.

I doubt Real will move for Salah in this window. He just signed a new contract with Liverpool and even if he does pull a Dembele or Coutinho, Liverpool will demand an astronomical amount and Real still have Bale for that position.

They might try for Neymar but I don't see Al-Khelaïfi selling even if Neymar tries to force a move - Verratti unsuccessfully tried to force a move to Barca last season. Selling Neymar after just one season in which the club achieved nothing they couldn't have without him would not be good for the club's brand. 

Benzema is the one who needs to be replaced. His output has badly fallen off in the last couple of seasons and he was only in the team because of how well he linked up with Ronaldo - much better than Morata, Vasquez or Mayoral.

6 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Benzema is the one who needs to be replaced. His output has badly fallen off in the last couple of seasons and he was only in the team because of how well he linked up with Ronaldo - much better than Morata, Vasquez or Mayoral. 

In that respect Icardi makes the most sense- replace one total snake of a person for another.

This has fallen under the radar a little with Ronaldo’s move and the World Cup, but following on from Milan getting kicked out of Europe, they have now been repossessed by the hedge fund the previous owner lent money from to buy the club.

Romano now reporting that Chelsea are very close to completing a deal for Sarri and Jorginho worth €65m (add-ons included). €8m for Sarri and €57m for Jorginho. 

This is a very good deal for Chelsea if it goes through but does call into question their unnecessary haggling over Sarri's release clause. They could have just paid the €8m a month ago. Marina Granovskaia does not seem like a very good negotiator on the football side of things. Her work since assuming Emenalo's responsibilities comes across as being penny wise and pound foolish.

ETA. De Laurentiis is also confirming this. Says that Sarri will join Chelsea - the lawyers are busy finalising everything. Also says that they reached an agreement with City for Jorginho 15 days ago but Chelsea offered more money and that Jorginho would prefer living in London than in Manchester.

57 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Romano now reporting that Chelsea are very close to completing a deal for Sarri and Jorginho worth €65m (add-ons included). €8m for Sarri and €57m for Jorginho. 

This is a very good deal for Chelsea if it goes through but does call into question their unnecessary haggling over Sarri's release clause. They could have just paid the €8m a month ago. Marina Granovskaia does not seem like a very good negotiator on the football side of things. Her work since assuming Emenalo's responsibilities comes across as being penny wise and pound foolish.

ETA. De Laurentiis is also confirming this. Says that Sarri will join Chelsea - the lawyers are busy finalising everything. Also says that they reached an agreement with City for Jorginho 15 days ago but Chelsea offered more money and that Jorginho would prefer living in London than in Manchester.

As Emelano was technical director, I am not sure it was ever his job to negotiate over fees. Emelano was still at Chelsea last summer when they haggled with Everton over the fee for Lukaku, so I'm not sure Emelano being there or not makes any difference to how Chelsea negotiate deals. However, it's staggering that they still haven't replaced him. 

Losing out to Chelsea for Jorginho could be a bit of a blow for City. They'll probably need a replacement, or at least a rotation option, for Fernandinho sooner rather than later, they ask him to do a lot of work and he's 33 now.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:24 AM, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Kane just signed a new contract so it's probably going to take a world record offer for Levy to even consider it. 

Same with Salah so I doubt they bother with him either. Gonna be Bales time to shine if he can stay fit.

Conte out. Sarri in plus a Jorginho gazump for Chelsea. He must’ve really enjoyed playing under Sarri to snub Pep and City. 

Archived