Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

10 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Signing Felipe Anderson, Yarmolenko, Jack Wilshire, Fabianski and a new young French CB (Diop), fending off approaches for Arnautovic, releasing Evra & Collins (& others?), replacing Moyes with Pellegrini ... are West Ham becoming a well run club?

They’ll miss Lanzini with his long term injury but they seem to be heading in a better direction than a year ago. 

Yep. West Ham have done some really good business. The only concern would be that with so many changes it will take some time for them to gel. If Pellegrini can get them to hit the ground running then West Ham could be in for a very good season.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Along similar lines, Everton have upgraded their manager and ditched Rooney and Funes Mori, but they have a lot of work still to do in recruitment. 

Paul Joyce has reported that Everton are trying to sign Digne and Mina from Barcelona. 

3 hours ago, baxusalah said:

Never thought I'd say I miss a City fan, but I do miss Alex.

I stand corrected. Thought you somehow dug out that test from a year ago and took it now. :cheers:

I know moar about soccer than you!!! :commie:

:P

44 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I know moar about soccer than you!!! :commie:

:P

I wouldn't go that far now :P :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Infantino confirms that the 2022 WC will take place between 21 November and 18 December. 

I'll likely boycott that one since I don't like one bit that Qatar won the bid with "AC everywhere" pitch only to backtrack like this.

Other than that, it will be fun to see how UEFA and European leagues react to this since it will severely mess up their fixtures schedule and cost them a lot of money.

26 minutes ago, baxusalah said:

I wouldn't go that far now :P :thumbsup:

*Puts On Red MAGA Hat*

Some people say I have a beautiful soccer mind. Everyone’s saying it. The most beautiful soccer mind. It’s so big, but that’s because I’m like a smart person. I know a lot about soccer. Nobody has ever known more about soccer than me. You heard it here folks. My soccer mind is of the likes you’ve never seen before. So massive and strong. And Powerful! So Powerful! I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it. They all agree. My soccer mind is the best anyone has ever seen. And the people love it. Boy do they love it. Not like that other candidate’s though. She doesn’t know anything about soccer. If she had won, soccer would be extinct by now. Gone. Bye bye. Now wouldn’t that be horrible? No soccer. None! But that doesn’t matter because I won and I know more about soccer than anyone. Some are even going so far as to suggest that I invented the sport. I probably did, but since I’ve been so successful and created so many great things, I can’t remember. Actually I can. I did create soccer. And that’s why we call it soccer. Not football. Football is a man’s sport. Made in America. The best. But yes I absolutely created soccer and I know more about it than anyone who has ever lived or will ever live. That’s why I know that Belgium will destroy England 3-0 and France will be World Cup Champions after they beat Croatia 2-1. My good friend Emmanuel will throw a parade for me for allowing them to win. And Theresa will shine my shoes for allowing her team to get this far. They’re so weak, but like I said, I know more about soccer than anyone because I created the sport and I deemed it fit to allow those scrubs to get this far. God bless me and god bless America!

On 7/10/2018 at 1:00 AM, Nas! said:

Ha ha.  Believe me, I’m already sooo excited for fit Jack Wilshere and sooo terrified of perpetually-injured Jack Wilshere.  His injury record over the last couple of seasons isn’t really that bad, but, of course, that doesn’t erase the years of injury misery previous. 

I feel like most West Ham fans are equally alternating between optimism and nervousness.  But Andy Carroll could use a drinking buddy, and really who better could he ask for?

He was certainly fit for a lot of last season, even though he didn't play for us. I wonder where he will play, he played in a bunch of positions for us, he played a no.10/ out wide and sometimes a more box to box no.8. I think the last positions is *probably* the best one for him, but he's not really defensively responsible in that position. My biggest frustration with him was that he would *always* look to draw a foul as oppose to passing to a player in a better position. He's mostly a ball carrier, as opposed to someone who can pick out a really good pass. Maybe with the right midfield it could work? 

7 hours ago, baxusalah said:

I'd hate seeing Shaqiri in Liverpool. Disliked the guy ever since he joined in with Mandzukic doing the nazi salute when they were both in Bayern.

I’m not sure how I feel about him.  The nazi salute is distasteful (what was the explanation for that?) and he seemed to have a prima donna attitude at Stoke at times. 

But he also seemed to work hard within the Swiss team without a ton of ego, the political celebration against Serbia was understandable, and I’m glad that we’re getting some proven back-up for our wide forward positions.  I’d like to see Wilson, Woodburn and Ojo get some chances but it’s risky to have such a big gap between starter and the only back-up options.  

In the last couple of years we have really suffered for want of bench depth.  And our talented youngsters haven’t shown they are ready yet to be relied upon. 

8 hours ago, baxusalah said:

I'd hate seeing Shaqiri in Liverpool. Disliked the guy ever since he joined in with Mandzukic doing the nazi salute when they were both in Bayern.

After reading more about this, it was interpreted not as a nazi salute but as a military salute to Croatian generals (it was Mandzukic who led it) just released from war crimes trials.  The complaints were by Serbians who perceived it as a political gesture against them, as they did again with Xhaka and Shaqiri’s Albanian eagle celebration in the WC. 

(I have very little sympathy for Serbian sensitivities)

That’s very different from someone deliberately performing a nazi salute gesture in Bavaria.  Paolo DiCanio used a fascist salute celebration many times, which was clearly intended as a fascist salute. 

44 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

His diva attitude is slightly worrying but Klopp would just Sakho him if he ended up being a locker room cancer 

He must have signed with a clear understanding that he's going to be 3rd choice winger and he's going to spend a reasonable amount of time on the bench. Doesn't seem like there should be too many problems given that but who knows.

20 hours ago, Raja said:

He was certainly fit for a lot of last season, even though he didn't play for us. I wonder where he will play, he played in a bunch of positions for us, he played a no.10/ out wide and sometimes a more box to box no.8. I think the last positions is *probably* the best one for him, but he's not really defensively responsible in that position. My biggest frustration with him was that he would *always* look to draw a foul as oppose to passing to a player in a better position. He's mostly a ball carrier, as opposed to someone who can pick out a really good pass. Maybe with the right midfield it could work? 

Wilshere's mix of skills is a hard one to find a good position for. His strength is dribbling, and I remember an article saying his interceptions were very good, but his tackling and passing are only so-so. If he had a bit of pace he could actually be a decent winger but I don't think that's him. The No. 8 position would work well if he can get better at shooting; he can take on defenses from a more advanced position in midfield.

I'm excited for the start of the season for Arsenal. Emery probably won't get us immediate results but for once we're getting some action in the transfer market in the right positions (Torreira in particular has me excited, and Leno could be an astute buy for the future with Cech, and with Kos out for a while it's good that we got Sokatris as experienced CB cover). If Emery can tighten up the defence (shouldn't be hard to improve on last year's calamitous numbers), get us a couple of good results in big matches (as opposed to getting spanked away from home) and get us into top four I'll be very very happy.

Wilshere should ideally looking to play a similar role to Dembele at Spurs, I think. He's not as good a dribbler technically nor as strong physically, but he is really really good at finding the spaces in between lines and finding his way through them. Once he's done that, he should focus just on getting the ball to the real creatives rather than being Iniesta himself. It's not gonna work for everyone coz it needs a true three-man midfield for best effect, but get it right and he's still got it in him to be really really good.

1 hour ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

Wilshere should ideally looking to play a similar role to Dembele at Spurs, I think. He's not as good a dribbler technically nor as strong physically, but he is really really good at finding the spaces in between lines and finding his way through them. Once he's done that, he should focus just on getting the ball to the real creatives rather than being Iniesta himself. It's not gonna work for everyone coz it needs a true three-man midfield for best effect, but get it right and he's still got it in him to be really really good.

Dembele is *way* better technically than Jack, and that's in every aspect, not just dribbling. I think what makes Dembele good for spurs is just how good he is at shielding/ releasing the ball at the right moments. Jack *can* do that, but he hasn't. The decision making is poor. I'm interested to see if the move works out for him, he could be good for them. 

On 7/12/2018 at 9:42 PM, Iskaral Putsch said:

If your revealed preference is that you're a plastic bandwagon kind of fan, however much you want to deny it, then there's a position open around here for a Man City fan.  I don't think we've had a die-hard citizen since Alex decamped.

Hey!!!

I know I don't contribute much but I do enjoy reading the opinions on this thread.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Dembele is *way* better technically than Jack, and that's in every aspect, not just dribbling.

Oh sure, but that's why Dembele plays for Spurs and Wilshere's just been shunted out to West Ham. I'm not saying he'll ever be an exact recreation, but that's what I see as his best position.

Archived