Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

It looks like Everton are about to sign Richarlison. He was terrific for the first half of the season and not so much for the rest - what do you reckon to selling him for ~£50m? 

I'd want to keep him - despite the second half of the season I still think he's got the makings of a star and his form in the second half was partly down to Gracia just not knowing how to use him, or Watford's attack in general, and not just a mental thing- but £50mil is a lot for a player in his position so with some wise spending of the windfall it's pretty much a good move for all parties. Everton get a potential star and a winger who isn't suffering long-running injury problems and Watford get shot of a player they're doubtful of the commitment of.

It's an issue though coz Carillo ended his loan, Amrabat's gone to Saudi Arabia, so if Richarlison leaves they've lost pretty much all their width. So they'd definitely need to replace him.

59 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

For the majority of us who support a top-6 team, we should choose or be assigned another team to represent here.  Kind of like the WC threads.  Nothing too manic or affected, just tracking that team’s perspective and injecting it here.  Sometimes our discussions here treat the rest of the league as NPCs.

I’m going to give mine some thought before I decide. 

I started following Newcastle as my 2nd team back when Sir Bobby Robson was the manager. Now that was an entertaining side to watch.

On a related note: can Mike Ashley just fuck off already. Rafa gave an interview recently where he intimated that the club would have to sell before he can buy. Really? Fuck Mike Ashley. That cunt knows nothing about football. 

I have only started following the premier league for about the last 10 years so I have a few sides other than Liverpool that I usually follow. Huddersfield and Brighton last year mainly for the Aussies that were playing there and take a fair bit of interest in how Newcastle are going.

There's talk that a Hazard to Madrid deal has been struck for 190 m pending details. Rumors of Hazard's father currently negotiating with Madrid .

As for second string teams to support I'm torn between Newcastle and West Ham (how can one have such a cool nickname ,the hammers, yet suck so much ? Fucking dildo brothers ).

For a second team I think I'll go for Brighton. I always thought Chris Hughton got treated badly at Newcastle and they have an Aussie 'keeper. And I have a soft spot for battlers who aren't given much of a chance in a relegation fight.

Really excited for this season. A lot of the big teams have unknowns (will Mourinho have his third season flame out? will Emery fix Arsenal's longstanding problems? how good are Liverpool really going to be?). Not the least of which is Chelsea with all this Hazard business. If they do sell him, they're going to have to rebuild the team all over again, though they'll have a fair bit of money to play with.

I enjoy La Liga very much. The level of technical skill in the league is just a cut above. Ball playing defenders, building play from the back and intricate passing are standard fare in La Liga. The quality of the football from top to bottom is of a higher standard than any other league. 

9 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I think it’d be better to pay attention to a different league entirely instead of a second team. Serie A was brilliant last year, wish more people here watched it.

It’s a great suggestion but I don’t know what will be broadcast in the US.  I’ll look for Serie A when the season starts. 

La Liga is unwatchable here because of the commentary. 

50 minutes ago, Mexal said:

If I move to the UK this year, I'm going to be really fucking sad how hard it'll be to watch the PL. Not looking forward to that.

Why would it be hard to watch, all you need is a friend with Sky Sports and you can use their log in on Sky Go (up to 4 devices).

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Why would it be hard to watch, all you need is a friend with Sky Sports and you can use their log in on Sky Go (up to 4 devices).

I don't know anyone who has Sky Sports?

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s a great suggestion but I don’t know what will be broadcast in the US.  I’ll look for Serie A when the season starts. 

La Liga is unwatchable here because of the commentary. 

Yeah I’m hoping someone convenient like espn or something f picks up the rights in the US. Ronaldo could be good for that I guess. 

Serie A is on BEIN Sports in the US, or at least it has been the past few years.  Usually have 1-3 games every weekend.  Though it can vary, because they also show the La Liga games. 

Last year was great, even if Napoli lost it at the end.  Was a really fun season.  

On that note, pretty disappointed that Napoli couldn't work things out with Sarri.  His style of football is what drew me to the club, and I'm sad to see him go.  Really hoping things don't change too much this year, but I'm guessing it's inevitable.  Kind of nervous about how bad things went for Ancelotti at Bayern last season.

Also don't love Jorginho leaving.  But maybe it'll mean more time for some of their other guys like Zielinski, Diawara, and Rog.  I know they signed another player - Fabian Ruiz - but don't know anything about him.

5 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Serie A is on BEIN Sports in the US, or at least it has been the past few years.  Usually have 1-3 games every weekend.  Though it can vary, because they also show the La Liga games. 

Last year was great, even if Napoli lost it at the end.  Was a really fun season.  

I really hope Ray Hudson isn’t the commentator then.  He makes LaLiga unwatchable.

Archived