Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

7 minutes ago, Marko Antonivic said:

I’ve seen Guti being thrown around. Think he manages one of their youth teams

Yeah I heard the same but I don't see it . He doesn't have the same name and star magnitude that zidane had ( it helped him deal with big name players and fan outrage when they did poorly) 

There's also talk of sarri which is more plausible I think . 

At any rate I think they're in for a slump , especially if they don't get a new striker .

2 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

On the other hand the hosts get assigned the tournament based on bribes and corruption, so I have no real sympathy for protecting their financial interests.  

Oh, the FAs and the people organizing deserve no sympathy, but if the taxpayers are getting robbed, the least FIFA could do is guarantee a place for their team.

17 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

You're right.  How did I overlook that?  I'm surprised champions no longer have an automatic right to defend their title.  They seem more worthy of a spot than a host nation, especially Russia or Qatar.  Even South Africa was marginal.

IIRC, Blatter claimed at the time that the decision was made (in part) due to the wishes of former world cup winners. According to him, those associations preferred to have more proper competitive matches rather than playing a whole bunch of friendlies in between world cups. 

32 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

IIRC, Blatter claimed at the time that the decision was made (in part) due to the wishes of former world cup winners. According to him, those associations preferred to have more proper competitive matches rather than playing a whole bunch of friendlies in between world cups. 

If that is the case, it hasn't worked, as the defending champion has gone out in the groups three of four times since the rule change.

WC qualifying groups, particularly in the UEFA system, look like good preparation for the group stages of the WC but no more.  The seeding system generally means that the top teams are beating all or most opponents without meeting anyone at their level.  The UEFA system is really more for a lower (Ireland, Wales, Iceland, Norway, etc) or mid (Croatia, Czech, Russia, Ukraine, etc) tier country to take advantage of a golden generation and supplant another who is fading in their cycle or else a giant who is temporarily in the doldrums.  These lower and mid tier teams at least have regular experience against a top team during the group and play-off.

The Confederations Cup gives exposure to styles outside your region, but still only one or two real heavyweight clashes.

In CONMEBOL you get the top teams facing off during qualifying, but it’s just Brazil vs. Argentina all the time with no variety for them.

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Real Madrid have announced that Julen Lopetegui will be appointed as their manager after the world cup. 

He doesn't have much of a club football pedigree.

I suspect the next manager's on a bit of a hiding to nothing anyway. They weren't particularly close to Barcelona in the league and they rode their luck to win the Champions League (plus at some point you suspect Ronaldo's going to have a significant drop off) so there's a decent chance it could get fairly unpleasant next season if it doesn't go their way in Europe.

2 hours ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

He doesn't have much of a club football pedigree.

I suspect the next manager's on a bit of a hiding to nothing anyway. They weren't particularly close to Barcelona in the league and they rode their luck to win the Champions League (plus at some point you suspect Ronaldo's going to have a significant drop off) so there's a decent chance it could get fairly unpleasant next season if it doesn't go their way in Europe.

This appointment certainly came out of nowhere. I don't think there were even rumours linking him to the job. A few of my mates are big Benfica fans and they tell me that this guy was absolute pants in the Primeira Liga when he coached Porto. It also raises some question marks over Bale's future given his comments after the CL final and the fact that Lopetegui is known to be a big fan of Isco and Asensio. Don't think Bale will see more game time under him than he did under Zidane, probably less even.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Real Madrid have announced that Julen Lopetegui will be appointed as their manager after the world cup. 

Well  that's out of left field . I didn't even know he was a serious consideration.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

This appointment certainly came out of nowhere. I don't think there were even rumours linking him to the job. A few of my mates are big Benfica fans and they tell me that this guy was absolute pants in the Primeira Liga when he coached Porto. It also raises some question marks over Bale's future given his comments after the CL final and the fact that Lopetegui is known to be a big fan of Isco and Asensio. Don't think Bale will see more game time under him than he did under Zidane, probably less even.

I'm getting benitez  flashbacks ...

I really hope bale does get a big role because I really like him and think he's a hardworker who got unlucky with injuries. I don't like isco , I get that he has great ball control and is very flashy but I think he's very inefficient.seems like he'd run 50 yards with the ball rather than make a simple pass that does the same purpose. Also his leg is weak .

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Monaco have announced that they've reached an agreement in principle with Atletico Madrid over the transfer of Lemar.

I'm guessing this means griezmann is on his way out and that Liverpool's options are screwed again. Unless Lyon compromise I guess.

6 minutes ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

Atletico Madrid showing their ambition with that signing. If they can keep Griezmann, this could be a brilliant transfer window for them.

I don't see it . This seems more like a patch up than a build up . I still think griezmann is out . But I do hope I'm wrong because that'd make LA liga more interesting. 

Atletico Madrid really aren’t that far off Barcelona when it comes to La Liga.

In Oblak, they have the best keeper in the league, and they quite clearly have the meanest defence in Spain. They have a midfield that works extremely hard for the team, and in Costa and Griezmann, a centre forward pairing as good as any in Europe.

Their problem is that they can lack a bit of flair in between their solid defensive unit and devastating strike force. A player like Lemar is what they’ve needed. Lemar certainly wouldn’t be a replacement for Griezmann, as Griezmann is a striker for Atletico. 

Signing Lemar is the kind of move you’d imagine would excite Griezmann and tempt him to stay at a club where he is clearly loved and treated as the star.

Lemar is a good signing for Atleti, as they have a thin squad and he is pretty versatile, but he is not going to take them onto a new level - or at least not yet. He was rather average last season when you would have hoped he would become one of Monaco's leaders following the major departures. I doubt whether he will even be in their first choice xi, as his best position is taken by Koke. Still, early days as he is only 22.

The vote deciding who hosts the 2026 World Cup takes place tomorrow in Moscow. Hopefully Morocco can see off the mess that is the US/Canada/Mexico bid, but I am not too confident given FIFA’s rather transparent preference for the North Americans.

26 minutes ago, I am Zlatan said:

The vote deciding who hosts the 2026 World Cup takes place tomorrow in Moscow. Hopefully Morocco can see off the mess that is the US/Canada/Mexico bid, but I am not too confident given FIFA’s rather transparent preference for the North Americans.

I don't like this new joint bids trend . Just have the damn thing in one country . Travel will be a nightmare .

4 hours ago, I am Zlatan said:

but I am not too confident given FIFA’s rather transparent preference for the North Americans.

That might actually help Morocco given that UEFA don't seem too fond of doing what FIFA ask of them. If the African block unites behind Morocco it'll be close- the prevailing wisdom from observers seems to be it's too close to call at this stage.

Archived