Football: Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Jordan La Cabra

49 minutes ago, Soylent Dropbear said:

Has that been confirmed? I thought it was still under consideration.

Not that it matters, as the World Cup will be a 4096-team abomination by then anyway.

Technically speaking, isn’t every country in the World Cup, but only 32 teams make it to the finale?

Leverkusen laughing all the way to the bank. Upgrade their keeper and €25m to strengthen elsewhere. Once again underwhelming and predictable from Mislintat. Torreira would be better if that goes through.

Doubt Gundogan will be leaving. City will have six senior midfielders now. Guardiola wants to add quality depth so I don't think he will bring in Jorginho just to sell Gundogan. It's also why they are chasing Mahrez as well - so they can have Sane, Mahrez and Sterling on the flanks and move B.Silva to a more central midfield role. Since B.Silva can play on the wing as well, that gives them enough quality and depth both on the flanks and in midfield. Everyone should get enough game time across 4 competitions.

On 6/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, I am Zlatan said:

Leverkusen laughing all the way to the bank. Upgrade their keeper and €25m to strengthen elsewhere. Once again underwhelming and predictable from Mislintat. Torreira would be better if that goes through.

How much of both of them have you seen play? 

46 minutes ago, Raja said:

Lots of Leno and a decent amount of Torreira.

Leno might improve with a change of scenery, as he has stagnated in Leverkusen and still has time on his side. If he can cut the large number of errors out of his game and realise he will never match Neuer & Ter Stegen’s comfort on the ball he will be a good keeper, but it is worrying that he has regressed from where he was in 2013.

15 hours ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Doubt Gundogan will be leaving. City will have six senior midfielders now. Guardiola wants to add quality depth so I don't think he will bring in Jorginho just to sell Gundogan. It's also why they are chasing Mahrez as well - so they can have Sane, Mahrez and Sterling on the flanks and move B.Silva to a more central midfield role. Since B.Silva can play on the wing as well, that gives them enough quality and depth both on the flanks and in midfield. Everyone should get enough game time across 4 competitions.

That makes sense. It’s such quality depth though it’s hard to imagine all the players being happy with the play time that they get. 

Emre Can to Juve official

1 hour ago, La Albearceleste said:

Well, that was a great read. I get that there are plenty of stories like his at the world cup (not to mention all of those that doesn't make it as a pro...) but I'll be cheering for Lukaku for the rest of the cup.

22 hours ago, Raja said:

The criticism of Leno you read here is a bit harsh and a bit out of proportions imho.

Leno is sort of the eternal rival of ter Stegen. they are of the same age, and have competed over the starting goalkeeper status in all German junior teams. Marc Andre usually emerged winning, as he has always been the better footballer. Leno's transition into the sneior level of football was faster however. When German International and Leverkusen goalkeeper Adler struggled with injury problems, Leverkusen decided to get Leno from Stuttgart on a loan deal. And he established himself as a very good Bundesliga keeper with CL experience. So he went to Germany's u21 with a very good claim to be a starter there, just to have ter Stegen starting again. So for years it was a tight race on who will succeed Neuer. Leno only lost that race during the last 2 years or so. The 16/17 season was a bit of a stinker for him, he produced a couple of uncharacteristic howlers. He got called up to the Confed cup all the same to share the  starting duty with ter Stegen (and Trapp). ter Stegen's first game of the competition was fualtless, while Leno looked rather unlucky in his game. So the coaching staff sticked with ter Stegen as #1 for the tournament, and now clear heir apparent to Neuer. 17/18 was overall a solid season for him, some outstanding saves/games, yes, also a few howlers, but by no means as bad as our fellow boarder makes it sound like (but also not up to his previous standards). He considered leaving Leverkusen last year, but opted against it because he originally intended to position himself as Neuer's successor, and didn't want to leave in a world cup year. That plan went up in smoke after the Confed Cup. Usually he should be the third guy in Russia, however ghis rather difficult personal relationship to his rival ter Stegen apparently was the reason why he missed out. 

Long story short, if you get the pre-2016-17 Leno, you will get a really great goalkeeper, capable of making really great saves. I hope for him, that he gets back to his old self with a change of scenery. Otherwise you get good a goalkeper capable of making great saves, but also with that odd howler in him.

Looking at Can's deal with Juve: 14m signing bonus plus 80k per week for four years, which is a combined 220k per week (all figures in GBP), it makes me wonder why more players don't run down their contracts.  That's more than Modric or Kroos at RM.  Sanchez and Ozil both got huge pay bumps too by running down their contracts at Arsenal.

Aside from the risk of serious injury (I'm sure there could be an insurance market for that), why would players accept a transfer deal with less than two years remaining?  Yes, careers are short and no-one wants to waste their time, but being able to seize a large slice of the putative transfer fee is a really big deal now.

3 hours ago, baxusalah said:

@Iskaral Putsch I think your math might be wrong there. If you "spread" that 14M over 4 years (4*52 weeks) you get additional ~67.308£/week. Add that to 80k£ per week and you get close to 150k£ per week, not 220k£.

You’re right.  I quoted the figures directly from ThisIsAnfield without checking the math.  Embarrassing.

You only reach 220k if you amortize the signing bonus over the first two years, but he has announced a four year deal.  

Archived