VIKTOR'S LOSERS' LOUNGE

Was on vacation when my dear Danish were knocked out and couldn't remember my new user name to log in...

:(

On the upside, I was in Mexico, so I enjoyed heightened World Cup enthusiasm than we have in the States. :cheers:

On the downside, I also was in Mexico when Mexico was knocked out... 

Well that stinks. I thought England was really going to do it. Still, there’s no need for them to feel like losers as they did far better than expected and got a ton of great seasoning for 2022 and other international tournaments. I also feel like this is the first WC where I actually learned something about the game itself. In 2006 I barely watched and couldn’t stop laughing at ZZ for head butting that Italian dude it what might be the worst mistake I’ve ever seen in a sporting event. I started to really appreciate the game in 2010 as I was living in Argentina at the time. In 2014 I was pretty much rooting for the U.S. and checked out once they did. But this tournament helped me learn a lot about the game and the structure of the sport. I always tell myself after a WC that I’m going to get into watching club soccer, but inevitably I was fail after a bit. Not this time! I still need to figure out what EPL team I’ll support, but at least now I really know some of the players, which helps.

Congrants to my fellow England supporters, both in real life and for the board’s game. Our lads gave it their best shot and did well to represent the country!

:cheers:

15 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Well that stinks. I thought England was really going to do it. Still, there’s no need for them to feel like losers as they did far better than expected and got a ton of great seasoning for 2022 and other international tournaments. I also feel like this is the first WC where I actually learned something about the game itself. In 2006 I barely watched and couldn’t stop laughing at ZZ for head butting that Italian dude it what might be the worst mistake I’ve ever seen in a sporting event. I started to really appreciate the game in 2010 as I was living in Argentina at the time. In 2014 I was pretty much rooting for the U.S. and checked out once they did. But this tournament helped me learn a lot about the game and the structure of the sport. I always tell myself after a WC that I’m going to get into watching club soccer, but inevitably I was fail after a bit. Not this time! I still need to figure out what EPL team I’ll support, but at least now I really know some of the players, which helps.

Well, the obvious (and biased on my part, as I'm a Spurs supporter) choice is Tottenham Hotspur, if you want to go with maximum familiarity. I mean, 5 of England's players on the WC squad (Kane, Rose, Trippier, Dier, and Alli) all play there, as do members of the Belgian, French, South Korean, and Danish sides. 

Plus, England's whole "perform above expectations and raise hopes before a late collapse" thing is the best preparation for following a Tottenham season.

2 minutes ago, Signur X said:

Plus, England's whole "perform above expectations and raise hopes before a late collapse" thing is the best preparation for following a Tottenham season.

You sweet summer child...

I'll call your Tottenham late collapse and raise you Liverpool's late collapse. ;) 

EDIT:

Though, now I think about it, you just did perform above expectations and raised hope before a late collapse, didn't you? :lol: 

15 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Not this time! I still need to figure out what EPL team I’ll support, but at least now I really know some of the players, which helps.

If you have trouble sleeping you could always support United. Mourinho-ball is the perfect remedy for insomnia. 

Probably the only superstitious belief I have when it comes to football is the colors a team wears (the home vs. the away). Croatia has found success mostly wearing their dark away uniforms. I also feel that England's best games happened when they wore red. So I was worried from the start.

I'm hoping Croatia get to wear their dark colors again.

Archived