VIKTOR'S LOSERS' LOUNGE

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

First I thought about going with “Soccer Queen Lilibeth” to make a profile mocking the Queen, but that seemed lame. Then I tried playing around with combining Sterling and Kane, which failed, then going with some Sterling Archer mashup, which also failed. I got nothing!

"Name et al." where Name could be either the coach, or whomever of the players thinks he's the biggest shit. That's my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

The only good thing to come out of Casablanca:

THE ONLY GOOD THING THAT CAME OUT OF CASABLANCA WAS YOUR FRENCH ASSES AFTER WE REDECLARED AND EARNED INDEPENDENCE FROM YOU

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Since my teams are now Argentina (via having lived there during a WC) ...

Argentina are probably 3rd favourites for this tournament, after Germany and Brazil.

41 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Argentina are probably 3rd favourites for this tournament, after Germany and Brazil.

I don't follow the national team outside of the major tournaments, but my understanding is they're weaker this go around than in 2014. Lots of aging players.

I don't think I've ever seen a sadder city than after the Germans smashed Argentina in 2010. Walking around Buenos Aires, it looked like everyone had just been told that their entire family died in horrifically painful way. 

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't follow the national team outside of the major tournaments, but my understanding is they're weaker this go around than in 2014. Lots of aging players.

I don't think I've ever seen a sadder city than after the Germans smashed Argentina in 2010. Walking around Buenos Aires, it looked like everyone had just been told that their entire family died in horrifically painful way. 

My GP is Brazilian. She was utterly devastated after the semi-final. She said she couldn't sleep for a week and kept having nightmares about it. She made me laugh when she said, "Our president got impeached and I just didn't care. Who cares? No one cares. President? No one cares. Football and Jesus we love. In that order."

2 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I think both France and Spain are ahead of Argentina as favorites.

Italy have a better chance than Spain.

13 hours ago, Yukle said:

I'd place France above Argentina. For all the talent on paper, Argentina are a one man team. It's crucial for Argentina that Messi is on fire because without him they are a round of 16 side. Came across an interesting stat - the last time a player other than Messi scored in a competitive game for Argentina was 19 months (12 games) ago - it was Higuain and Messi provided the assist.

3 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

I'd place France above Argentina. For all the talent on paper, Argentina are a one man team. 

None will be above Argentina come the final. When your one man is Messi, you only need one man. 

10 hours ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

I'd place France above Argentina. For all the talent on paper, Argentina are a one man team. It's crucial for Argentina that Messi is on fire because without him they are a round of 16 side. Came across an interesting stat - the last time a player other than Messi scored in a competitive game for Argentina was 19 months (12 games) ago - it was Higuain and Messi provided the assist.

Yeah, probs. France has the most UEFA players at the moment.

Climate is always a factor in the World Cup. Obviously most players compete in Europe anyway, but France's entire squad are used to the conditions Russia will have to offer.

Except the political climate, I suppose.

Hey, isn't it nice for Russia to tone down its anti-gay rhetoric a little so we forget how terrible their country is? Or is it that FIFA is the only organisation more corrupt than Putin's Russia, so it doesn't seem so bad now? :P

Archived