Who Is This Year's Group of Death?

I've paid almost no attention whatsoever to the run up to this World Cup (life has been...hectic and awful...for the last couple of years), and I really only looked at the group draws today. Some years, it's really obvious which group is the Group of Death, but this year it's not. Instead, we have pretty serious contenders in Groups C, D, and F.

Group C: France, Denmark, Peru, Australia 
Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland 
Group F: Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden

So, which group is going to be the hardest-fought? And who do you think will make it out of group play for each?

I don't think Group C is too bad. Australia aren't that good anymore and Peru are the weakest South American side.

Group F I don't think South Korea or Sweden are particularly good, not sure about Mexico.

Group D could be awkward. Argentina and Croatia are the two most talented sides but they're both got a shit performance in them, Iceland are well organised so they could grind out an upset or two. Nigeria have a very nice kit.

ETA: I think Group H could be good. There's no real stand out team and, although I'm not sure about Japan, I don't think any of them are terrible either.

I think Group G can have some surprises, too, though probably not from Panama. Belgium should win the group, but they may also under-perform, and while England is good, they are England. Tunisia is the best African team right now.

Groupe de la mort? La mort n'est qu'une étape dans le voyage de la vie, peu avant l'étape où l'on est humilié par l'émerveillement de Pogba. Ceux d'entre vous qui ont la malchance de ne pas être Français devraient embrasser l'abîme.

The tournament is a few big teams light to have a proper group of death. H looks like it will be the closest fought and has three potential dark horses, but none are at the level of Spain, Chile and the Netherlands last time. B looks interesting. Portugal seem the most likely big side to go out in the groups, with Morocco having a solid defence, plenty of midfield options and the best tournament manager out there.

19 minutes ago, Xray el Sicario said:

I was all set to start talking about our general indifference to winning--one might even say a neutrality towards the competition--and then I looked at the rankings and NUMBER SIX! THAT'S WHAT'S UP!

On 6/10/2018 at 9:10 AM, Signur X said:

I was all set to start talking about our general indifference to winning--one might even say a neutrality towards the competition--and then I looked at the rankings and NUMBER SIX! THAT'S WHAT'S UP!

Switzerland has been overrated in the ranking for years now, it seems. Poland however... well. Poland is MUCH to low at #8.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:11 PM, I am Zlatan said:

The tournament is a few big teams light to have a proper group of death. H looks like it will be the closest fought and has three potential dark horses, but none are at the level of Spain, Chile and the Netherlands last time. B looks interesting. Portugal seem the most likely big side to go out in the groups, with Morocco having a solid defence, plenty of midfield options and the best tournament manager out there.

AT LAST SOMEONE RECOGNIZES THE TRUTH
WE ADMIRE ZLATAN AND WILL CARE FOR HIS CHILDREN AFTER HIS UNTIMELY DEATH AT PARTY MOROCCANS

What's the opposite of group of death?

Whatever it's called, I think Group A is that. It could be the first group in history to have none progress beyond the group stage. :P 

I'd actually say Group B is the trickiest. Spain go without saying, Portugal are the champions of Europe, and then you've got Iran who are the strongest team in Asia, and Morocco who have a good shout at being the best team in Africa, qualifying well ahead of the Ivory Coast. 

4 hours ago, Jaimstoyevesky said:

In progressive modern Russia, no group will be put to death. 

Putin benevolent as he is wise. 

In Putin's Russia, group deaths YOU!

Archived