Why do people dislike Stannis?

Frey Kings

First and foremost, Renly deserved it. I would've done it with my bare hands. Pompous little sh!t. Anyways, The Irone Throne is his by right. He'll make the lannisters and flowery flowers of highgarden submit quickly and that boy wolf up north in a heart beat.  Throwing a fit because his daddy got his head chopped off.  All of them made the realm bleed for their selfish purposes. Maybe setup a nice little bon fire in the dragon pit with all the lannisters, tyrells, greyjoys, and starks. GODS wouldn't that be lovely. 

1 minute ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Well, I don't understand why people dislike the one true king, but if you actually believe what you just wrote and aren't just non-sense trolling I can see why people would dislike Stannis' fans...

Yes because everything about my online profile shows that i'm a huge Stannis fan! 

Anyways now hes stuck in some sh!thole up north. Hows that fair? The Starks won't follow him even if Rhllor's magic could make Brandon walk again. 

Stannis is disliked because he believes everyone should just bend the knee to him because he is the rightful king, this isn't the case in a feudal society where being charismatic and often open handed is needed. 

Also just because we the reader know without a doubt all Cersies children arnt Roberts doesnt mean the lords of Westeros believe they are not especially since Robert himself took them as his children, to a lot of lords both Renly and Stannis are trying to usurp the rights of their nephews. Stannis would make a great Commander but a horrible king IMO, he inspires no love or loyalty from his vassals and soldiers and is willing to literally sacrifice his personal moral beliefs to achieve his end goals. 

13 minutes ago, Frey Kings said:

First and foremost, Renly deserved it. I would've done it with my bare hands. Pompous little sh!t. Anyways, The Irone Throne is his by right. He'll make the lannisters and flowery flowers of highgarden submit quickly and that boy wolf up north in a heart beat.  Throwing a fit because his daddy got his head chopped off.  All of them made the realm bleed for their selfish purposes. Maybe setup a nice little bon fire in the dragon pit with all the lannisters, tyrells, greyjoys, and starks. GODS wouldn't that be lovely. 

How are things at home?

He’s better than Renly. At least Stannis cares enough about the realm to answer the call for aid at the Wall and recognizes that it won’t matter who is on the Iron Throne, because the White Walkers will ‘wight’ them up. 

I mean people like Tywin, try to defend Tyrion's rape of a slave girl, and think the red wedding is perfectly okay. There are far more heinous things people in the fandom do than hate Stannis. I personally don't hate him, but I also don't like him. I think he is an interesting character. However, Renly didn't deserve it and murdering your brother is pretty awful. Renly may be a worse commander than him (hard to say, after all he never actually battled him), but would have made a better King. Might have ended the War of 5 Kings earlier, too. 

56 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I mean people like Tywin, try to defend Tyrion's rape of a slave girl, and think the red wedding is perfectly okay. There are far more heinous things people in the fandom do than hate Stannis. I personally don't hate him, but I also don't like him. I think he is an interesting character. However, Renly didn't deserve it and murdering your brother is pretty awful. Renly may be a worse commander than him (hard to say, after all he never actually battled him), but would have made a better King. Might have ended the War of 5 Kings earlier, too. 

Erm pretty sure renly was threatening to murder him too just in a more traditional way

Talking only for me here.

Stannis in ACoK comes out as a cynical, arrogant, ambitious, ruthless resentful prick that keep pushing the narrative that he never wished the throne but is his right and duty.

We see him talking that Ned "stole" his position when he became the Hand of the King, he talks like it was his right even though he run away from KL. He killed his own brother and was willing to burn his nephew because he wanted to be king, even Roberts death could be put on him since he never tried to warn him after Jon Arryn death.

He threaten Catelyn to deal with Robb when she tries to make peace between the brothers, he refuses to even be greatful to Eddard when he lifted the siege, in the prologue he refuses to even try to make any alliances with Lysa in the Vale, he comes out of it like he is impossible to reason with.

Before Stannis march to save the Wall his character is pretty much unlikeble.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Talking only for me here.

Stannis in ACoK comes out as a cynical, arrogant, ambitious, ruthless resentful prick that keep pushing the narrative that he never wished the throne but is his right and duty.

We see him talking that Ned "stole" his position when he became the Hand of the King, he talks like it was his right even though he run away from KL. He killed his own brother and was willing to burn his nephew because he wanted to be king, even Roberts death could be put on him since he never tried to warn him after Jon Arryn death.

He threaten Catelyn to deal with Robb when she tries to make peace between the brothers, he refuses to even be greatful to Eddard when he lifted the siege, in the prologue he refuses to even try to make any alliances with Lysa in the Vale, he comes out of it like he is impossible to reason with.

Before Stannis march to save the Wall his character is pretty much unlikeble.

^this. :)

The first time we meet Stannis, he's just spouting a long list of real and imagined grievances. It's just kind of hard to like somebody like that. I don't hate him, and actually agree with him on several points, but his me-centric view of the entire world, where everything that doesn't go his way must be a deliberate slight (Ned stole your rightful position as Hand? Really? Never considered that you maybe just never came up?), makes him hard to completely get behind, either.

31 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

I) He is a kinslayer.

II) He is worshipping a firedemon and burning down septs and weirwoods.

He didn't actually kill Renly. Supposedly he isn't even aware of what Mel did with his shadowbaby, but even if he is aware of it they were going to go to combat the next morning regardless. Kinslaying is more direct, like what Tyrion did. 

He doesn't burn any septs, just idols of the 7. Weirwoods are significantly more demonic than Rhllor. People draped them with intestines and organs like a macabre Christmas tree. They drink blood and possess animals & people.

1 hour ago, ChuckPunch said:

He didn't actually kill Renly. Supposedly he isn't even aware of what Mel did with his shadowbaby, but even if he is aware of it they were going to go to combat the next morning regardless. Kinslaying is more direct, like what Tyrion did. 

Even if this is true he still would have burned Edric Storm if wasn't for Davos. If he wasn't a kinslayer already he was willing to become one.

Archived