Why do people dislike Stannis?

Frey Kings

30 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Even if this is true he still would have burned Edric Storm if wasn't for Davos. If he wasn't a kinslayer already he was willing to become one.

"would have been" is still not the same as him actually being one. Kinslaying is a grievous sin, and not one taken lightly. There's a reason Stannis lets Davos delay the decision for so long, it's not something he really wants to do.

However, in the face of the elimination of humanity Stannis will sacrifice even his own soul to save everyone. If anything his sacrifices of family are his greatest redeeming quality.

6 hours ago, Frey Kings said:

First and foremost, Renly deserved it. I would've done it with my bare hands. Pompous little sh!t. Anyways, The Irone Throne is his by right. He'll make the lannisters and flowery flowers of highgarden submit quickly and that boy wolf up north in a heart beat.  Throwing a fit because his daddy got his head chopped off.  All of them made the realm bleed for their selfish purposes. Maybe setup a nice little bon fire in the dragon pit with all the lannisters, tyrells, greyjoys, and starks. GODS wouldn't that be lovely. 

I can speak for my own reasons.  I don't like Stannis because he supports Jon Snow and the Starks.  I like Walder Frey and Roose Bolton because they do the opposite and hurt the Starks.  

5 minutes ago, ChuckPunch said:

"would have been" is still not the same as him actually being one. Kinslaying is a grievous sin, and not one taken lightly. There's a reason Stannis lets Davos delay the decision for so long, it's not something he really wants to do.

However, in the face of the elimination of humanity Stannis will sacrifice even his own soul to save everyone. If anything his sacrifices of family are his greatest redeeming quality.

"a good act does not wash out the bad nor a bad the good"

By Stannis standarts what should he suffer?

I see sacrificing Edric more like ambition than duty or sacrifice. Stannis showed no love for his brothers, his distant to his wife and his daughter, he's far from a family person. He was ambitious, he tell says that Renly stole Storm's End, he tell Catelyn that Ned stole his position. He is very ambitious and kind of a hypocrite.

8 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

If I only had a dime for every "why don't people like what I like" thread....

Coming soon : Why don't people like Joffrey. 

(I am at least excited to see their defense of Joffrey, lol)

17 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Stannis is disliked because he believes everyone should just bend the knee to him because he is the rightful king, this isn't the case in a feudal society where being charismatic and often open handed is needed. 

Also just because we the reader know without a doubt all Cersies children arnt Roberts doesnt mean the lords of Westeros believe they are not especially since Robert himself took them as his children, to a lot of lords both Renly and Stannis are trying to usurp the rights of their nephews. Stannis would make a great Commander but a horrible king IMO, he inspires no love or loyalty from his vassals and soldiers and is willing to literally sacrifice his personal moral beliefs to achieve his end goals. 

How very true.  Stannis could not provide enough proof to convince more people than he already has.  It looks bad for him.  He would make a horrible king because he's a hypocrite.  He breaks the rules as it suits him and severely punishes others when they do.  In that way he is not much different from Robb Stark and Jon Snow.  All three are hypocrites who would have made horrible kings.  One down, and very hopefully the remaining two would go down soon.  

1 hour ago, Helena Kyle said:

How very true.  Stannis could not provide enough proof to convince more people than he already has.  It looks bad for him.  He would make a horrible king because he's a hypocrite.  He breaks the rules as it suits him and severely punishes others when they do.  In that way he is not much different from Robb Stark and Jon Snow.  All three are hypocrites who would have made horrible kings.  One down, and very hopefully the remaining two would go down soon.  

Jon Snow never had an ambition to become a king.

So I would like to know why do you have the idea that Jon would make a horrible king? And you present this idea on a thread about Stannis Baratheon. It's odd.

It seems to me that it isn't so much about hating Stannis as loving life, which Stannis will take from them for ever opposing him.

Petyr Baelish is a practised liar, but I don't think he oversteps the truth when he argues against giving Stannis what is his by rights:

Stannis cannot rest easy on the throne until Cersei and her bastards are dead. Do you think Lord Tywin will sit idly while his daughter’s head is measured for a spike? Casterly Rock will rise, and not alone. Robert found it in him to pardon men who served King Aerys, so long as they did him fealty. Stannis is less forgiving. He will not have forgotten the siege of Storm’s End, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dare not. Every man who fought beneath the dragon banner or rose with Balon Greyjoy will have good cause to fear. Seat Stannis on the Iron Throne and I promise you, the realm will bleed.

(AGoT, Ch.47 Eddard XIII)

Robert didn't trust Stannis to bury the hatchet when that was required (Ned wasn't his first choice for hatchet burying either, but when the choice was down to him, Renly, Stannis, Jaime, or Petyr Baelish...he figured Eddard was the fairest choice.)

Time and again Stannis answers the fears of people who were considering bending the knee to him  - he lets Melisandre burn Alester Florent and crown his old Maester with cowbells, and imprisons the smuggler Hand Davos for sedition, at exactly the point that the Tyrells and the Florents and the houses of the Reach were deciding which King to cast in their lot with, now Renly was dead through some kind of Stark plot or feminine sorcery. 

“The Wall is only a few hours south of here,” said Jon. “Why not seek shelter there? Others yielded. Even Mance.”
The wildlings exchanged looks. Finally one said, “We heard stories. The crows burned all them that yielded.”
“Even Mance hisself,” the woman added.

(ADwD, Ch.35 Jon VII)

Well, you could say that the burnings are on Melisandre, but that would only bring me to another problem with Stannis - he shirks responsibility.

Melisandre (and Davos, and Sallador Saan) are appointed by him, to act in his name. When they burn people, skulk around doing sleazy undercover jobs, take to piracy, people have every right and reason to blame King Stannis for what they do in his name, whether or not Stannis choses to know what they do.

As Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Jon knows this problem himself, but he deals with it in good faith, while Stannis just resents that people have the impudence to question him and doubt his right to rule. At the moment, he has allied with the clansmen, some of the most underhand and quarrelsome men of the North, and also has an army of former Wildlings, also cunning and quarrelsome, and sworn enemies of the Northern clans. He is looking more wraith-like and burnt out every day, and if he survives this campaign, well, the thought of him at the Nightfort with his kneelers and his clansmen and his ice queen and his fire woman and his death child...I'm guessing they won't pull together like the Brady Bunch.

Stannis isn't good at remembering the duty he owes other people. For example, it was his duty as Lord of the Admiralty to attend Eddard Stark's small council. Renly knew it was demanded not just by duty, but ambition as well. Eddard would have done what he could to make Stannis Warden of the East, Hand to the King, King, if Stannis had been there to receive the honours that he considered to be his by rights. Instead, he took off to Dragonstone and started preparing to fight against his brother's realm as soon as Robert was on his way to offer Eddard the Handship. If any man treated him like that, he would not be slow to see how treasonous these actions were. It was Davos that reminded him that a King protects his people, and Melisandre that convinced him that the Wall would serve him, if he answered their call.

He is like Joffrey rather than Tywin when he has an enemy on its knees. He won't help them, he will kill them. It is his biggest weakness, their biggest fear.

Perhaps his new tactic of championing the North will go some way to allaying the fears of weak enemies who are thinking of joining him. They might see he hasn't killed Asha or Theon, and trust his mercy. But it doens't seem to go with his character to do that, or to care that the lives of Lady Sybell and her son depend on his mercy. Also, it doesn't seem to be much in the nature of his new weak enemies (the Umbers and Karstarks and Manderleys and so on) to feel anything but anger at his showing mercy to the Ironborn. Even if an alliance with Theon and Asha against Erik Iron-maker makes perfect sense.

19 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Well, I don't understand why people dislike the one true king, but if you actually believe what you just wrote and aren't just non-sense trolling I can see why people would dislike Stannis' fans...

Agreed. Some people are just jealous.

I don't dislike Stannis.  Not much anyway.  I would have preferred his POV at the wall instead of Jon Snow's.  Jon's chapters are among my least favorites and it may be because I don't like Jon.  A Stannis POV instead might make the story at the wall a little better for me.  Stannis has a reputation on the battle field but he's not the person I would choose to sit on the throne.  He's too harsh to his followers.  I am not impressed by the Baratheon brothers.  

18 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Talking only for me here.

Stannis in ACoK comes out as a cynical, arrogant, ambitious, ruthless resentful prick that keep pushing the narrative that he never wished the throne but is his right and duty.

We see him talking that Ned "stole" his position when he became the Hand of the King, he talks like it was his right even though he run away from KL. He killed his own brother and was willing to burn his nephew because he wanted to be king, even Roberts death could be put on him since he never tried to warn him after Jon Arryn death.

He threaten Catelyn to deal with Robb when she tries to make peace between the brothers, he refuses to even be greatful to Eddard when he lifted the siege, in the prologue he refuses to even try to make any alliances with Lysa in the Vale, he comes out of it like he is impossible to reason with.

Before Stannis march to save the Wall his character is pretty much unlikeble.

Which is not to even mention his penchant for permitting human sacrifice. I mean, that's a very serious character flaw. 

On 6/10/2018 at 1:58 AM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Coming soon : Why don't people like Joffrey. 

(I am at least excited to see their defense of Joffrey, lol)

Joff is an unfortunate product of his upbringing mixed with potential genetic disorders. He is a victim.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:46 AM, Walda said:

He is like Joffrey rather than Tywin when he has an enemy on its knees. He won't help them, he will kill them. It is his biggest weakness, their biggest fear.

He has some of that character in him, but he was pragmatic enough to recruit those who chose Renly over him after Renly's death. He might have planned on punishing them after he won the throne, but he did accept former enemies on their knees. Incorporating the wildlings into his forces was a far more radical step (Mance was the exception for being a night's watch deserter).

On 6/11/2018 at 11:52 AM, ChuckPunch said:

Joff is an unfortunate product of his upbringing mixed with potential genetic disorders. He is a victim.

By that logic, isn't everyone a victim without responsibility for their actions?

I dislike him because his persona does not translate to a commensurate payoff. What I mean is his character description conforms to “badass”, but his results correspond to “loser”.

Tywin is of similar gravitas, but had results to back up the reputation. Stannis doesn’t. He has an ugly, harridan for a wife, was sneered at by his brothers, lost his chance of victory at the Blackwater even after getting there by magic, and now sits brooding in a freezing tower with an army that doesn’t respect him.

What’s to like?

On 6/10/2018 at 1:19 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:

I can speak for my own reasons.  I don't like Stannis because he supports Jon Snow and the Starks.  I like Walder Frey and Roose Bolton because they do the opposite and hurt the Starks.  

Yikes.

I'm not sure Stannis supports anyone. He's in a kind of desperate situation, he asks allegiance from anyone and he'd accept anyones help.

Archived