Cloak & Dagger on (dramatic pause) Freeform *Spoilers*

Bastard of Boston

As the most voracious of voracious superhero fans, even I'm burned out by the quantity of comic-based TV shows on the air right now. I'll still devour the movies, but I'm absolutely numb when it comes to the shows...the CW finally broke me. That said, I went into Cloak and Dagger with eyes of the glazed variety. I have fond memories of the character from the 90s, though, so I had to give this one a shot.

I enjoyed the hell out of this. It's on Freeform, which I didn't even know was a thing before this show was announced, so I think it'll be hard for many to find -- it's offered on Hulu, though.

Overall, I thought the show was shot really well. I'm a lapsed Catholic, but I'm still fascinated by Catholic imagery, and there's a lot of that. It befits the characters' origin, though. I thought the two leads were solid and the fresh take on the characters is interesting. That said, the setting is supposed to be New Orleans, and that didn't come across at all. I still appreciate the fact that they're basing the show out of the standard superhero bubble. It's one to watch. Thankfully, it's a short season, too.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:46 AM, Bastard of Boston said:

As the most voracious of voracious superhero fans, even I'm burned out by the quantity of comic-based TV shows on the air right now...

Overall, I thought the show was shot really well. I'm a lapsed Catholic, but I'm still fascinated by Catholic imagery, and there's a lot of that. It befits the characters' origin, though. I thought the two leads were solid and the fresh take on the characters is interesting. That said, the setting is supposed to be New Orleans, and that didn't come across at all. I still appreciate the fact that they're basing the show out of the standard superhero bubble. It's one to watch. Thankfully, it's a short season, too.

I'm on the same page as you in so many ways. I burnt out on the CW superhero shows long ago. I was very disappointed with The Runaways (had trouble making it through one episode), and had zero interest in Cloak & Dagger based on the trailer and my minimal exposure to the characters in comics as guest appearances in story arcs for other Marvel titles I read.

However, a friend in Miami messaged me a week ago asking if I was watching the show. I told him no, and he mentioned it was set in New Orleans and that I should watch it. He also wanted to know how "authentic" it felt in terms of the setting in New Orleans since I'm from there. Well, sadly the show feels about as New Orleans as clam chowder. It's absolutely filmed there, but nothing from the dialogue, accents, or plot feel the least bit New Orleans.

That being said--it was a pretty damn good show. I've seen the first two episodes on Hulu and the cast & writing is solid. Roxxon as the "big bad" is a great Marvel tie-in and the two main characters have pretty great motives. I honestly can't recall the origins from the comic, but they're given a solid connection/origin story in the pilot episode. The only other complaint I have is that the pop song mood music is laid on a little too thick. All in all I was very pleasantly surprised by this show and will continue to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Curious about what you think now that the show is incorporating more and more of the setting. I know nothing about New Orleans, so it's hard to know whether I should be impressed with their efforts. That said, I just finished episode 4, and I'm still completely on board with this show. We finally get some meaty interactions between the two leads, and I like the chemistry. Also, first appearance of Cloak's cloak!

It's pretty much just the two of us talking in here, @Bastard of Bostonbut should you put "spoilers" in the title anyway?

S1E4

Yes, the origin of Cloak's cloak was something truly, inherently New Orleans. At first I as rolling my eyes and thinking, "Ugh. Looks like whoever wrote this episode watched Treme on HBO." But it was handled really well. This is maybe the first thing about the show (other than S1E3's voodoo aunty visit) that truly ties a character to the setting in NOLA.

Fucking Roxxon! The one good lawyer in the city and they murk his ass. The hidden files bit was kinda cliche, but forgivable. I also was left wondering if that jump was a true suicide attempt or just Tandy testing her ability to manifest a dagger? I'm leaning more towards the latter, but it's tough to say 100%.

I'm really digging this show. 

Spoiler

Episode 4 seemed to indicate that there was some kind of foreign/special metal/substance the rig was tapping into beneath the surface.

Anyway, I liked Cloak and Dagger as a comic-gobbling kid but I can't remember much by way of story details. One thing I like especially is the way the showrunner and writers are distributing the weight of Tandy and Tyrone's  abilities. Narratively speaking, after 4 episodes Cloak and Dagger's aspected visions are still magnitudes more important than their 'action' powers, which speaks volumes to the creatives' confidence in the product... and it shows. I agree that the music/montage bits are too frequent, yet otherwise think it's a very impressive show for the genre, and, I find myself very much looking forward to each episode.  

Glad you're enjoying the show too, @JEORDHl! I said it before but I'll say it again--I'm shocked by how much I like this show. Based on the promo pics and trailer I was ready to skip this, but it's definitely the show I most look forward to each week. And if they keep up this level of quality it'll probably make my Top 10 list of shows for the year.

Nerdist is apparently doing an after show for this, so here's the one on S2E4 if you're interested. It has the showrunner and actress that play's Tandy's mom. (Who I just realized was Janet on the FX show Rescue Me!)

Sup, M. :)  I dumped Facebook. Hit me up via DM and we can trade info so as to stay in touch.

---

E, I'm quite smitten with the somewhat nonlinear storytelling style and how they're going about developing these two. I suspect you might like the show as well.

Count me in as someone who only checked this out because I loved C&D from when I was a kid and went into this with little to no expectations. I've been digging the hell out of it though.

My favorite part is how they swapped Tandy and Ty's socio-economic statuses. I thought that was really smartly done.

2 hours ago, MisterLewandowski said:

Count me in as someone who only checked this out because I loved C&D from when I was a kid and went into this with little to no expectations. I've been digging the hell out of it though.

My favorite part is how they swapped Tandy and Ty's socio-economic statuses. I thought that was really smartly done.

I thought so too. The creatives actually flipped or outright changed a lot of their personal backstories. Nothing feels forced, or stereotypical-- it flows so well that I regret being such comic purist [and not so long ago] like, I somewhat recently read a thread somewhere about Iron Fist and the tension that could've been purchased just by making him a Chinese American. Imagine Daniel lost in K'un-Lun, bullied for not knowing his own language... anyway. 

New episode tonight, w00t.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This show is so surprisingly good.  Easily my most anticipated show week to week (not that there's a whole lot of competition at the moment, but still).  Such a good episode tonight, and the preview for next week looked amazing.  I'm very sad there's only two more left this season.  Anybody know if it's been picked up for a second season?  And that was the kid that plays Cloak singing the song at the end wasn't it?

On 7/7/2018 at 10:19 AM, Ran said:

Watched the first episode last night, when I discovered HBO Nordic carried it. Have to say I was really impressed by it. 

Surprisingly well made show, right? The slow burn of the first 4 episodes was cool, smart of Freeform to give the producers a long leash.  

Interesting that in episode 8:

Spoiler

They fridged the non-gay, non-woman nice loyal guy character.  Innovative!  They even positioned the body the same way as that infamous comic book scene, right?

I am a couple of episodes back, but really like it too.  I hope as they use their powers more Cloak starts to get his "hunger".  When I was describing the Cloak and Dagger comics from the 80s to my daughter that was the thing I remembered most. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, they dialed up the cheese for that finale.  Did they have a different person selecting the music for it?  It felt very off from what they had established for the entirety of the season.  Especially during the climax, I literally laughed out loud at how bad that choice of song was. 

And yay, the one good cop in the city is now a super villain.

Archived