The dragontamer and the arrow

Rosetta Stone

Quentyn was doing fine until somebody from behind loosed an arrow at the dragons.  The dragons retaliated and baked Quentyn.  The text didn't give the reason why somebody loosed an arrow at the dragons.  The attack was unprovoked.  Anyone besides me think it was deliberately done to kill Quentyn?

10 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

The text didn't give the reason why somebody loosed an arrow at the dragons.  The attack was unprovoked

Umm...

The dragon moved awkwardly on the ground, like a man scrabbling on his knees and elbows, but quicker than the Dornish prince would have believed. When the Windblown were too late to get out of his way, Viserion let loose with another roar. Quentyn heard the rattle of chains, the deep thrum of a crossbow.

“No,” he screamed, “no, don’t, don’t,” but it was too late. The fool was all that he had time to think as the quarrel caromed off Viserion’s neck to vanish in the gloom. A line of fire gleamed in its wake—dragon’s blood, glowing gold and red.

Viserion was moving quickly towards them while roaring. I would not describe the text as listing "no reason why".

I think firing a crossbow bolt at the dragon is a normal reaction given the circumstances. Quentyn was the only one who wanted to tame a dragon. The rest of them are probably only wanting to survive and this crossbowman probably thought he was about to be a crispy snack.

I strongly believe that the Tattered Prince was playing the Dornishmen the whole time to get close to the dragons and possibly kill them, severely weakening Dany's forces. He would still have been very much on the Slaver's side at that point and Qynntin gave him an opportunity to take advantage. Later on, when Barrastin proposes a deal, the Tattered Prince might cooperate, because Barrastin isn't giving him an opportunity to take advantage of him and because a deal from Barrastin means more than a deal from Quyntinn. 

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Umm...

Viserion was moving quickly towards them while roaring. I would not describe the text as listing "no reason why".

I think firing a crossbow bolt at the dragon is a normal reaction given the circumstances. Quentyn was the only one who wanted to tame a dragon. The rest of them are probably only wanting to survive and this crossbowman probably thought he was about to be a crispy snack.

I totally forgot about Viserion  bleeding fire, gold and red.  Jesus H Christ, Tyrion might ride a dragon, huh? 

I do think it's a hard call on the arrow being shot out of 1:  fear  2: the melee between the Windblown and guards plus fear and 3: a conspiracy to slay the dragons.  I do mostly lean toward no conspiracy, just the plot for Dragon Taming going to hell. 

Then again, I'd forgotten about Viserion's interesting fire blood, so....

12 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

Quentyn was doing fine until somebody from behind loosed an arrow at the dragons.  The dragons retaliated and baked Quentyn.  The text didn't give the reason why somebody loosed an arrow at the dragons.  The attack was unprovoked.  Anyone besides me think it was deliberately done to kill Quentyn?

Q and his comrades were playing with fire.  Always a dangerous thing to do.  The motto should say "don't fu-- with dragons!"  They had no right to steal the dragons and I am glad he got flamed.  Who shot the arrow and why?  Some trigger-happy mercenary is my best guess.  

I saw this question before and read many different answers.  Daario's lackey is one proposed suspect.  The Dornishmen made a fool out of him and he has a grudge about that.  The sequence of events doesn't support this because Daario was already held by the enemy.  Preston Jacobs has his thoughts and perhaps that is worth considering.  I believe Q is deader than Ned and Robb Stark.  Though he still has his head.  

I enjoyed Q's adventures but I am glad he got broiled for trying to steal Dany's dragons.  

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Umm...

all the conspiracies around Ser Krispy are a natural outcome of there being nearly a decade between releases 

On 6/12/2018 at 6:48 PM, Mooncalf said:

I strongly believe that the Tattered Prince was playing the Dornishmen the whole time to get close to the dragons and possibly kill them, severely weakening Dany's forces. He would still have been very much on the Slaver's side at that point and Qynntin gave him an opportunity to take advantage. Later on, when Barrastin proposes a deal, the Tattered Prince might cooperate, because Barrastin isn't giving him an opportunity to take advantage of him and because a deal from Barrastin means more than a deal from Quyntinn. 

The tattered prince did all of the work in getting Quentyn to the dragons. He procured the masks and the password. If that was his intention he wouldn't need Quentyn at all. Besides he had already been intending to make overtures to Dany. 

The conspiratorial motive I can think would be, that he saw the incident as an opportunity to reignite the war immediately and prolong his employment and/or force a battle prior to the arrival of the Volantene fleet so that he would have a much greater share of the spoils.

All these however have to do more with his agreement to the scheme in the first place. And if he was looking to be on the slavers side, it seems to me that it would have been in his best interest that the scheme worked at least as far as removing the dragons from the city.

The arrow seems to be the very obvious answer to fire-breathing monster and understandable panic.

That said that the tattered prince agreed to the scheme in the first place might be worthy of some discussion.

Archived