What was the last time you had your "mind blown"?

chuck norris 42

It is probably just me but on the weekend  it blew my mind that hens and roosters have a very different reproductive system to your typical mammal,

Also the sperm and ovum have opposite roles in sex determination , in mammals the sperm is either X or Y, the ovum MUST be X , 

birds are totally different , all sperm is Y and the ovum is either X or Y,  and males are YY and females are XY
To  technically correctly use the letters Z and W instead of X and,  a male is ZZ and a female is ZW, all sperm is Z and the ovum is either Z or W

8 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

A few days ago when I found out that Friar Tuck in Disney’s Robin Hood is supposed to be A BADGER?!? WTF!!?? 

Honeybadgers don't have stripes or eyepatches so not super crazy if you say honeybadger instead of badger, Unlike calling that silly fat headed green thing in H.R. pufnstuf a dragon 

When I realized that Danish pastries aren't actually Danish but are in fact Austrian (originated in Vienna and brought to Denmark in 1850 because Danish pastry workers went on a big ass strike ) . I felt so betrayed . 

1 hour ago, chuck norris 42 said:

Honeybadgers don't have stripes or eyepatches so not super crazy if you say honeybadger instead of badger, Unlike calling that silly fat headed green thing in H.R. pufnstuf a dragon 

Honey badgers don’t exist in UK 

at least...I don’t think they do

he looks nothing like a honey badger either 

6 hours ago, chuck norris 42 said:

birds are totally different , all sperm is Y and the ovum is either X or Y,  and males are YY and females are XY
To  technically correctly use the letters Z and W instead of X and,  a male is ZZ and a female is ZW, all sperm is Z and the ovum is either Z or W

Reptiles run the gamut. Snakes are ZW, iguanas are XY, turtle clutches can be male or female depending on if the clutch is cooler or warmer.

Although "I have a gut feeling," is just an idiom, your gut bacteria do affect your mood. If you eat well, they improve your mood. Eating literally changes your personality over time.

My skull cracks as my mind blows.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:32 AM, AverageGuy said:

Reptiles run the gamut. Snakes are ZW, iguanas are XY, turtle clutches can be male or female depending on if the clutch is cooler or warmer.

Related: 

Mind was FREAKIN BLOWN late last year watching a classic Attenborough show when he revealed FREAKIN KOMODO FREAKIN DRAGONS CAN FREAKIN MULTIPLY WITHOUT SEX!!!

Wolpertingers are not something Walter Moers came up with, they originate in older folk stories and mythology. That came as a big surprise to me, I always assumed they are only native to Zamonia.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, Davrum said:

Related: 

Mind was FREAKIN BLOWN late last year watching a classic Attenborough show when he revealed FREAKIN KOMODO FREAKIN DRAGONS CAN FREAKIN MULTIPLY WITHOUT SEX!!!

Where's the fun in that? :P 

Had a big ol' accident over the weekend and broke my ankle in three places.  At the emergency room they gave me Ketamine in order to try to straighten it out and wrap it.

Talk about having your mind BLOWN.

/wins thread

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Had a big ol' accident over the weekend and broke my ankle in three places.  At the emergency room they gave me Ketamine in order to try to straighten it out and wrap it.

/wins thread

Yikes! I wish you an as much as possible painless recovery. And that your family spoils you when you need it!

57 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

Everyone likes some Special K. 

Not this one. 

7 minutes ago, El trigo sarraceno said:

Yikes! I wish you an as much as possible painless recovery. And that your family spoils you when you need it!

Thanks. :love: 

4 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

/wins thread

Daaaaaamn! Hope you're feeling better, Tears, even if the kittytranqs have run their course!  Those K holes are something else

On 6/27/2018 at 2:17 PM, Tears of Lys said:

/wins thread

I am sooooo sorry!!!!  Feel better soon.  <3

The latest mind boggle that doesn't involve my work life or my insane family is that badgers are living in the southeastern US.  I had no clue.  We saw one on our way to a junk store and it was just hanging out on the side of the highway doing badger stuff.  

I obviously suck as a glamorous naturalist.

When I first encountered someone who honestly believed that manmade climate change was impossible because the climate had changed in the past when humans weren't around. I honestly couldn't understand what they were talking about until I realised that they believed that it was a zero sum game: humans had to be responsible for all climate change or none climate change. The idea that humans have instead interfered with natural processes that were occurring anyway, and have dramatically accelerated pre-existing trends (or perhaps even reversed them catastrophically), was a concept literally beyond their mental ability to grasp.

My mind was blown that day, as I had to dial down my lower end of expectations for adult human intelligence considerably.

Archived