WC2018: which game to watch? (No spoilers!)

For those of us many time zones to the west, relying on the faithful DVR while we’re at work or asleep, please recommend each day which game is best to watch.  

No spoilers, no results, just a recommendation for must-see football. 

Danke und viel spass. (I need to find a scharfes s)

To kick it off, I’m skipping Russia vs Saudis on Thursday based on political principles and quality.  The two worst teams in the competition, and a soft draw (probably rigged) to help the hosts get out of the group stage. 

Portugal vs Spain looks like the best prospect on Friday but I’m open to suggestions.  Opening matches bring lots of enthusiasm and surprises.  

Just to clarify - are you asking people to nominate which game they think will be best before they are played? Or once they've been played, which one was the most enjoyable to watch (without spoiling the result)?

On the former - yeah, it's hard to go past Portugal and Spain. (And even more so, given my wife supports Spain and I have a soft spot for Portugal - far behind my beloved Swedes, of course).

4 hours ago, AndrewJsonsen said:

Just to clarify - are you asking people to nominate which game they think will be best before they are played? Or once they've been played, which one was they most enjoyable to watch (without spoiling the result)?

Both. But yeah, for the latter definitely with no spoilers!

1 hour ago, Soylent Dropbear said:

As I'm currently all the way around the other side of the world, in the future, I feel uniquely qualified to comment in this thread - France v Australia is definitely worth a watch: really entertaining, great football, lots of goals, and a big upset!

We Ticos like an underrated, organised team that strikes like a bolt from the blue to vanquish the complacent, which is exactly why I second this Antipodean's choice of France vs Australia.

6 hours ago, AndrewJsonsen said:

Just to clarify - are you asking people to nominate which game they think will be best before they are played? Or once they've been played, which one was they most enjoyable to watch (without spoiling the result)?

The latter, once the games actually get going.  

In the meantime, the former is good while we’re all jittery with anticipation. 

And following on re the Spain v Portugal match... from my uneducated view point, it's hard to see there being a bigger match up in the entirety of the group stages. Can any of the other groups lay claim to having two such big name teams?

4 hours ago, AndrewJsonsen said:

And following on re the Spain v Portugal match... from my uneducated view point, it's hard to see there being a bigger match up in the entirety of the group stages. Can any of the other groups lay claim to having two such big name teams?

FOOL. EVEN WE  WARRIORS, WHO TAKE THRALLS TO SCRIBE OUR LETTERS, ARE KNOWING THE TWO BIG NAME TEAMS TO BE SWITZERLAND AND COSTA RICA.

COMBINED - 20 LETTERS.

YOUR IGNORNANCE IS BEING AMUSING! SUCH WOE YOU MUST FEEL! HAR!

16 hours ago, AndrewJsonsen said:

Other arguably top-heavy groups are D (Argentina and Croatia) and G (Belgium and England). Neither is quite as impressive as group B though. 

Well, and going by FIFA world rankings (but who would follow that rigged nonsense?... and I'm saying that as a Swiss who's been incredibly happy with our team over the last two decades) Brazil and Switzerland in group E.

Morocco vs Iran.

Why, Horzatico?! Has your brain been destroyed by too many delirious days on Costa Rica's gorgeous beaches? 

No, my somewhat rude friend, hear my reasons:

Yes, Iran and Morocco both play a reactive style. Yes that could make this  a legendary dullfest if they play safe, a game boring enough to make Ukraine - Switzerland '06 look like Brazil - Italy '70...

...but they can't play safe. These teams burn with ambition and know that with Spain and Portugal to face, only three points will aid them here. Risks will have to be taken, and when they are, the game will break open! 

You could watch this tense encounter or you could watch two star-studded teams of pampered galacticos play keep-ball to maximise their chance of going through, the choice is yours.

OK everyone, time to switch from prognostication to actual informed recommendations.  This is your big moment.  This is your opening fixture of the WC.  Thursday was a gimme and the expectations start now.

I’m doing my level best to avoid hearing any results or spoilers today, aided by nine straight hours of conference calls and meetings (don’t you wish you had my job?).  News alerts are off and colleagues have been warned about appropriate WC protocol when DVRs are in play.  A couple of past transgressors received an additional steely glare.

And then, finally, this evening I will get to choose which game to watch first.  Help me make it count.

If Sergio Ramos should suffer a personal humiliation, grievous bodily harm or any form of divine retribution, that should definitely sway you to recommend Spain vs Portugal.  But otherwise it’s all about the quality of the football and the joy of the spectator experience.  Sure there’s a bias to the big teams but it’s still fundamentally meritocratic, taking delight in surprise showings, big upsets and deserved schadenfreude (Ronaldo *cough*, Ramos *cough*).

More than a century ago, America told the world “give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”. And, boy, did you.  Now we just ask: give me your recs.

Before watching, I largely agree with Horzaticos analysis above.

If you want technical and tactical brillancy neutralizing itself in a waiting slugfest, watch Spain-Portugal (That said, it's probably the most decisive game of the WC in terms of potential ripple effects of the result - whoever wins this will probably win group B...)

If you want a less  high-class game where neither side can afford a draw (and, hence, the most offensive risk taking), Morocco-Iran should be your pick.

Uruguay-Egypt is nominally the most lopsided game of the day and neither side can afford to lose after Russia's result yesterday, so that might well become a defensive slugfest, but without the individual and tactical ability of Spain-Portugal (well, more precisely, that level of brillancy could still be found for the Urus, but Egypt has onl one player who's on that level...)

Archived