Is Maggy the most powerful witch in the series?

I don't know if she's the most powerful witch (MMD was nothing to sneeze at, look at what she managed with Drogo), but I've always suspected that Maggy's craft was almost the Westerosi equivalent of a DNA test.  Then again, she's not the only one to use blood in such ways, there was the fortune telling in Arya's story in Braavos that used blood as well.  I've always wondered, though, as Cersei seems an example of someone whose own actions bring the prophecy closer and closer to full fruition, what that all means?  That shouldn't put Maggy's fortune telling skills in doubt, though.   Still, that blood reading skill, it'd be interesting to use on a few people wouldn't it.  I wonder......do we know for sure if Maggy is alive or dead?  I don't recall, I do recall that she seems to be the grandmother of Robb's widow. 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don't think so. I mean, she's good but the GoHH is at least as good and there are others...

Oh, and lest we forget, the OP used the word 'witch,' but there are the warlocks to consider.  Pyat Pree is one to come to mind, although, he didn't do much to help out his OWN fate, did he?  There are many words for those with these kind of skills.  These are a few of the persons and well as terms for descrbing them off the top of my head.

3 hours ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

It shocked me how Maggy guessed that Cersei will marry the King and also she will have three children (if we don't count miscarriage). Also Robert's 16 bastards are pretty good guess. I am sure that even Robert wouldn't be sure about how many bastards he have if someone asked him.

I wouldn't say these were guesses, more like visions or auguries from the drop of Cersei's blood.

And it depends on what you mean by powerful, but in terms of overall magicality I don't see anything that tops birthing a shadow-Terminator from your king's seed.

The strongest magic user in entire series is Shiera Seastar. I think, that she's also a shadowbinder Quaithe and the three-eyed crow.

She has studied magic from an early age. And she inherited magic blood from both sides of her family - dragonseed father and sorceress mother. She's able to use blood magic, fire magic, shadowbinding, glass candles, she has a gift of foresign, and she's able to use power of Old Gods. I think, that she was the one, who trapped Bloodraven in that Weirwood cave, and binded him to a tree. It's a parallel to wizard Merlin and his lovers Morgana (Mor in Welsh means sea, water-related name, same as Shiera's), and Lady of the Lake Nimue. In Asshai she was teaching magic to Mirri Maz Duur and maester Marwyn. She's also the one who saved from death Dany's son Rhaego.

Second place - the Ghost of High Heart. I think, that probably her real identity is Rohanne Webber-Lannister. She has a gift of foresign, years ago made prediction for King Jaehaerys, that the Prince that was promised will be born from his line. And if rumors about her were at least partially correct, then aside from making precise predictions, she's also able to use blood magic.

Third place - Melisandre. Shadowbinding, foresign, blood magic, fire magic. She's able to use powerful blood magic - her shadow babies. But she's barely able to control fire magic. Nearly got herself fried, during burning of fake Mance. And even though she's able to see prophetic visions in fire, she's often unable to correctly interpret them. So her foretelling ability is way below than Maggy's or Rohanne's.

Fourth place - Jon Snow. Warg and dragonseed. He had at least two prophetic dragon dreams - about wights getting on this side of The Wall, and dead Starks rising in crypts of Winterfell. Not to mention that he's future Azor Ahai and wielder of blazing sword.

Fifth place - Bloodraven. Greenseer and warg.

If I haven't forgotten someone, then those first five, are the only characters in ASOIAF, that have both abilities - to see/know and to use. All others are mostly have only one ability, they either have foresign (like Maggy, Moqorro, Jojen Reed, Daenys the Dreamer, the Undying), or are able to use practical magic (like Mirri Maz Duur, Thoros of Myr, Faceless Men, Bran and other Starks, that are able to warg into their direwolves, Valamyr Sixskins).

4 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

And, shouldn't we count Melisandra?  She considers herself a priestess, but her powers seem magical in nature.

Definitely! Pree as well, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting... 

@Megorova, that's speculation about Shiera. Especially stating she is Quaithe  etc etc. 

Also, Bloodraven is a skinchanger not a warg. :)

So, does anyone like the idea of a Maggy the Frog type DNA test?  I've always thought of that as a bit of a joke, but I do wonder...........if that sort of test, ie blood tasting or such, would or could be used to suggest someone's true parentage? 

I think Melisandre's POV should be taken into account on the topic of witches. From that we learn a little about her magic, it's strength and limitations. How her powers are stronger in some places then others, how she sometimes will use trickery to help enhance the appearance of her magic. Perhaps it's the same with others witches.

Maggy has powers, that's for definite. Whether she's the most powerful or not, that's open to interpretation.

Mother Mole is another one who seems to have accurate visions and their source might be the same as the GoHH, but the GoHH vision about the ptwp ended in tragedy at Summerhall because dragons and Mother Mole's vision was essentially effed up when the essosi ships were blown off course. 

It seems the gods are more than willing to give visions, but they will kick you in the face with them.

Maggy using the blood as a focus for her powers doesn't seem unique. MMD uses blood magic to 'save' Drogo. We see in Bran's visions that blood sacrifice was a part of the weirwood rituals and that it 'awakens' the trees (if I'm remembering right). Jojen paste, if true, is another use of blood to enhance magic. Mel uses leeches and has a fetish for King's Blood. It seems to be the most common denominator for some of the more powerful magic we see perpetrated. The Targ dragon dreams and Stark skinchanging seem to be tied to blood, even if they don't explicitly use it to manifest their magic abilities. Even the glass candles are sharp enough to draw blood, which may indicate that blood is a component of their magic (maybe, we don't know enough.) Blood isn't involved in all magic (Patchface, Mel's latent fire abilities, resurrection), but it does seem to figure prominently a lot.

As to the OP, I'd qualify anyone who uses magic as a 'witch', and Maggy has powers, but I don't know if I'd say she's the most powerful. At this moment, I would probably say Mel. She has used her powers the most blatantly in the series and we've seen a wide range of things she can do. Bloodraven is powerful, but in a more focused and narrow way, going by what we've seen so far. Then again - define power. Is it action or knowledge and influence? Bloodraven wins for knowledge, Mel for direct actions.

6 hours ago, Megorova said:

The strongest magic user in entire series is Shiera Seastar. I think, that she's also a shadowbinder Quaithe and the three-eyed crow. [...] In Asshai she was teaching magic to Mirri Maz Duur and maester Marwyn. She's also the one who saved from death Dany's son Rhaego.

That would make her extremely old. Bloodraven managed that by fusing with a tree, and he doesn't look like an ordinary human. Quaithe wears a mask, but doesn't seem to be in a situation like that. Melisandre is another shadow-binder whom the show revealed to be much older than she appears, but we haven't gotten much info on that in the books. We've heard that Mirri was taught by Marwyn, why think she was also taught by Marwyn's teacher? Also, heckuva job saving Dany's son, seeing as how Rhaego didn't survive.

I don't think it is supposed to work like a muscle. At least not in the case of blood magic which Maggy seems to practice. The way they describe it, it reads like something that is learned and practiced. Fire magic seems to involve some degree of innate talent and skinchanging appears to be an innate ability. 

Archived