Is Maggy the most powerful witch in the series?

10 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

That would make her extremely old. Bloodraven managed that by fusing with a tree, and he doesn't look like an ordinary human. Quaithe wears a mask, but doesn't seem to be in a situation like that. Melisandre is another shadow-binder whom the show revealed to be much older than she appears, but we haven't gotten much info on that in the books.

Shiera Seastar, same as her mother, Serenei of Lys, was using blood magic to stay young and beautiful. That's what said Aegon V. If he didn't knew it for sure, he wouldn't have said about it to Dunk.

11 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

We've heard that Mirri was taught by Marwyn, why think she was also taught by Marwyn's teacher?

Quaithe appeared to Dany by using glass candle - 1. when Dany was giving birth to Rhaego (maester Marwyn also was there, though in her half-unconscious state, Dany saw him first as Drogo and then Jorah, he said that Rhaegar was the last dragon and then vanished), 2. on board of Balerion ship, 3. in Meereen, 4. in Dothraki Sea, in Dany's last chapter in ADWD. Marwyn learned magic in Asshai, and he knows how to use glass candles, and he also knew Mirri Maz Duur. So Asshai, Mirri and glass candles are connection between Marwyn and Quaithe/Shiera. And also both of them knew about the promised Prince prophecy. My guess, is that probably after Rhaegar's death, Marwyn went to Asshai, to find any additional information about future Azor Ahai, and that's when he met Quaithe. Their common interest in the prophecy and magic brought them together.

11 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

Also, heckuva job saving Dany's son, seeing as how Rhaego didn't survive.

I'm sure that he isn't dead. I will be convinced otherwise, only if we won't hear anything about him, when Dany will be brought by Dothraki into Vaes Dothrak. I think, that Rhaego is there, he was kidnapped by Dothraki, and that's first out of three treasons - the one for blood.

9 hours ago, Megorova said:

I'm sure that he isn't dead. I will be convinced otherwise, only if we won't hear anything about him, when Dany will be brought by Dothraki into Vaes Dothrak. I think, that Rhaego is there, he was kidnapped by Dothraki, and that's first out of three treasons - the one for blood.

Makes more sense to me that MMD managed to pass him off to some of her Lhazarine followers via her notably large medicine chest. Said Lhazarines escaped during the chaos and got him across the river into Lhazar proper where they found a wet nurse and passage on the Cinnamon Wind, which is why our author keeps letting us where that ship is when there's not seemingly a reason for it. So when Rhaego shows up again and we know what exactly happened to him we can look back and go "ooooh, THAT'S why the Cinnamon Wind was in Braavos!" and whatnot.

5 minutes ago, FictionIsntReal said:

You must be confusing me with everybody else on this forum, because I've never discussed Rhaego before. I can confirm that everyone but you (and presumably Megorova) is a crackpot though!

Well as long as that's out in the open.

14 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

"ooooh, THAT'S why the Cinnamon Wind was in Braavos!"

I think, that Cinnamon Wind's crew is working for Quaithe.

Captain's name Quhuru Mo from Japanese くふる も (Ku furu mo) means Crows. And Shiera/Quaithe is the three-eyed crow. The ship's type (swan ship) is also a clue to Shiera Seastar. I think, that Shiera's mother, Serenei of Lys, is actually Larra Rogare, and that Larra's mother was Johanna Swann, the Black Swan of Lys. It's one of my tinfoil theories. Though if I am right about this, then we will get some info about it in Fire and Blood book. First volume covers history of Targaryens up to Aegon III, so probably there will be information about who was Larra's mother, and what happened with Larra after she left Viserys II. I think, that after she returned to Lys, she gave birth to Viserys' fourth child, this girl later married with Archon of Tyrosh, and their daughter was Rohanne of Tyrosh, wife of Daemon I Blackfyre.

In ACOK Cinnamon Wind arrived to Qarth from Oldtown, and its captain brought news from Westeros to Dany. It's like courier version of raven-mail ^_^

After that they were supposed to go to Jade Sea, which is bordering with Asshai. But for some reason their plans changed, and instead of going east, they went to Braavos. So I think, that after bringing news to Dany, they met Quaithe, and she sent them to Braavos, to bring Sam back to Westeros and to Oldtown, and also to fetch from there maester Marwyn, and to bring him to Essos. Probably originally, prior Dany gave birth to Rhaego, and hatching of Dany's dragons, Quaithe was going to return from Qarth to Asshai, on board of Cinnamon Wind, that's why that ship came from Oldtwon to Qarth.

19 hours ago, Megorova said:

After that they were supposed to go to Jade Sea, which is bordering with Asshai. But for some reason their plans changed, and instead of going east, they went to Braavos.

I don't think their plans changed at all. It's more likely they lied about where they were heading as an excuse not to take Daenerys with them, because they were actually carrying Rhaego. And that would be awkward.

I don't tend to think that Quaithe can see the future: she can see over great distances, but only what's currently happening. Which is why certain things she predicts don't happen: she warns Daenerys of the Stinky Steward, because she knows the boat is heading to her and she knows who is on it, but she has no way of knowing that the ship will sink. But then I haven't looked into her very deeply, so perhaps there's something I've missed.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:20 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Actually warg is a very, very specific term for a skinchanger who bonds w/ a wolf or dog. :)

Isn't Bloodraven a greenseer? That whole bit about "only one in a thousand is a skinchanger and only one of a thousand skinchangers can be a greenseer" kinds of sets him and Bran apart.

There is also the thing about him maybe using glamour in TMK, but that might have been Shieras work, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Sigella said:

Isn't Bloodraven a greenseer? That whole bit about "only one in a thousand is a skinchanger and only one of a thousand skinchangers can be a greenseer" kinds of sets him and Bran apart.

There is also the thing about him maybe using glamour in TMK, but that might have been Shieras work, I suppose.

Yeah. BR is a greenseer and a skinchanger, but not a warg - as far as we know he has never bonded w/ a wolf. Bran is a greenseer (in training) and a skinchanger and a warg. I guess we could say that all wargs are skinchangers, but not all skinchangers are wargs. 

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah. BR is a greenseer and a skinchanger, but not a warg - as far as we know he has never bonded w/ a wolf. Bran is a greenseer (in training) and a skinchanger and a warg. I guess we could say that all wargs are skinchangers, but not all skinchangers are wargs. 

Ok, gottcha. 

Just thought of this though: do we even know that BR can skinchange? The three eyed crow wasn't a real crow and the elk might just have been elk-whispered by Leaf or something. Dunk has heard rumours of him doing it (change into the likeness of a one-eyed dog) but also that he can turn into a mist, so... Seems like all rumours are lies in theese books.

23 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Ok, gottcha. 

Just thought of this though: do we even know that BR can skinchange? The three eyed crow wasn't a real crow and the elk might just have been elk-whispered by Leaf or something. Dunk has heard rumours of him doing it (change into the likeness of a one-eyed dog) but also that he can turn into a mist, so... Seems like all rumours are lies in theese books.

Well, we know he slips into ravens at the very least, he tells Bran as much. Also, when he is explaining this gift to Bran, he very clearly says that one person in a thousand is a skinchanger, and one skinchanger in a thousand is a greenseer. He is a greenseer, ergo, he is a skinchanger. :)

19 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, we know he slips into ravens at the very least, he tells Bran as much. Also, when he is explaining this gift to Bran, he very clearly says that one person in a thousand is a skinchanger, and one skinchanger in a thousand is a greenseer. He is a greenseer, ergo, he is a skinchanger. :)

Jojen is also a greenseer, but he is not a skinchanger. Which means, that not every greenseer is a skinchanger, and not every skinchanger is a greenseer. What is rare is two of them combined together in one person, one in a million is like Bloodraven or Bran.

2 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Jojen is also a greenseer, but he is not a skinchanger. Which means, that not every greenseer is a skinchanger, and not every skinchanger is a greenseer. What is rare is two of them combined together in one person, one in a million is like Bloodraven or Bran.

No, he isn't. Jojen has green dreams but is not a greenseer. 

ASoS, Bran I

Jojen gave a solemn nod. "I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth by chains of stone, and came to Winterfell to free him. The chains are off you now, yet still you do not fly."

"Then you teach me." Bran still feared the three-eyed crow who haunted his dreams sometimes, pecking endlessly at the skin between his eyes and telling him to fly. "You're a greenseer."

"No," said Jojen, "only a boy who dreams. The greenseers were more than that. They were wargs as well, as you are, and the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast that flies or swims or crawls, and could look through the eyes of the weirwoods as well, and see the truth that lies beneath the world.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

True :D 

Archived