The legend of Storm's End foreshadows a romance between Aegon and Arianne, and a war between Aegon and Euron

Lost Melnibonean

The legend of Storm's End foreshadows a romance between Aegon and Arianne, and a war between Aegon and Euron...

The songs said that Storm's End had been raised in ancient days by Durran, the first Storm King, who had won the love of the fair Elenei, daughter of the sea god and the goddess of the wind. On the night of their wedding, Elenei had yielded her maidenhood to a mortal's love and thus doomed herself to a mortal's death, and her grieving parents had unleashed their wrath and sent the winds and waters to batter down Durran's hold. His friends and brothers and wedding guests were crushed beneath collapsing walls or blown out to sea, but Elenei sheltered Durran within her arms so he took no harm, and when the dawn came at last he declared war upon the gods and vowed to rebuild.

Five more castles he built, each larger and stronger than the last, only to see them smashed asunder when the gale winds came howling up Shipbreaker Bay, driving great walls of water before them. His lords pleaded with him to build inland; his priests told him he must placate the gods by giving Elenei back to the sea; even his smallfolk begged him to relent. Durran would have none of it.

Catelyn III, Clash 31

Aegon

Spoiler

has taken

the seat of the Storm King, and he will win the love of the fair and seductive Arianne, whom Doran has sent to investigate Aegon's merit. Euron has already told us that he is the storm. Jon Connington will not be pleased with Arianne's wiles, and like Durran's lords, he will tell the noblest lad that he must be free to wed Daenerys. Aegon will join with Daenerys when she arrives in Westeros in the hour of Aegon's peril (Euron) just as Tyrion predicted, but he will still love Arianne. Aegon will then betray Daenerys for love of Arianne, and the dragons will dance. 

Interesting take.

I've been thinking lately about how to reconcile some of the things that we have been told/ have been foreshadowed.  Moqorro, who seems to be good at predicting things has told us that he see's Danaerys greatest threat as Euron.  Meanwhile George has directly said that there will be another Dance of Dragons.  Yet Dany is still a long, long way from Westeros.  Not just in terms of sheer distance, but in terms of all the plot points that need to be resolved, going back to Vaes Dothrak, uniting the Dothraki, settling the situation in slavers bay, Volantis, and Pentos/Ilyrio.

In order for any of this to be remotely true, Euron must win his upcoming fight with the Redwyn fleet, and Aegon must defeat/ co-op the incoming Tyrell army.  This will lead to a practical collapse in the Reaches ability to defend itself, and it seems likely that many Reach lords will start declaring for Aegon, and perhaps the Oldtown area will bend to Euron soon.

This obviously sets up a conflict between the two, and it is possible that Euron could be on top when Danaerys arrives, thus setting up the exact situation you describe.  However it seems kind of hard to reconcile there being any sort of real struggle if Dany already saves Aegon when his forces are depleted. 

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Interesting take.

I've been thinking lately about how to reconcile some of the things that we have been told/ have been foreshadowed.  Moqorro, who seems to be good at predicting things has told us that he see's Danaerys greatest threat as Euron.  Meanwhile George has directly said that there will be another Dance of Dragons.  Yet Dany is still a long, long way from Westeros.  Not just in terms of sheer distance, but in terms of all the plot points that need to be resolved, going back to Vaes Dothrak, uniting the Dothraki, settling the situation in slavers bay, Volantis, and Pentos/Ilyrio.

In order for any of this to be remotely true, Euron must win his upcoming fight with the Redwyn fleet, and Aegon must defeat/ co-op the incoming Tyrell army.  This will lead to a practical collapse in the Reaches ability to defend itself, and it seems likely that many Reach lords will start declaring for Aegon, and perhaps the Oldtown area will bend to Euron soon.

This obviously sets up a conflict between the two, and it is possible that Euron could be on top when Danaerys arrives, thus setting up the exact situation you describe.  However it seems kind of hard to reconcile there being any sort of real struggle if Dany already saves Aegon when his forces are depleted. 

That is kind of the way I see it developing. I think together the wee Targlets will defeat Euron, and in the process, I am guessing that the noblest lad that ever lived will mount the green dragon, joining Daenerys on the big black one and Brown Ben or maybe the imp on the white one. All will be well at first, but then, after yet another wedding, I expect their relationship to deteriorate rapidly. 

Not sure that I see the connection there.

But Storm's End seems to be a stepping stone to power. Jaehaerys and Alysanne first hid there and then proclaimed themselves there, before taking the Iron Throne, Princess Jaehaera was hidden there before she became queen (for a rather short time, but still...), and then Princess Rhaelle went there, and her grandson Robert came from there to take a throne.

It is a seat more connected to (ultimate) power than many other great seats. I'm pretty sure Prince Aegon will rise nearly as quickly to the Iron Throne as Jaehaerys I did after he was proclaimed king there. But he isn't Jaehaerys I. He'll rule as long as Rhaenyra or Aegon II after his restoration.

And Euron, well, Euron is in a completely different league than Aegon. I don't think George already knows how Euron is going to go down - he has not been build up to stumble over a feigned boy, that's for sure. Is an antagonist for the actual protagonists and heroes of this series, not for Aegon.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Not sure that I see the connection there.

But Storm's End seems to be a stepping stone to power. Jaehaerys and Alysanne first hid there and then proclaimed themselves there, before taking the Iron Throne, Princess Jaehaera was hidden there before she became queen (for a rather short time, but still...), and then Princess Rhaelle went there, and her grandson Robert came from there to take a throne.

It is a seat more connected to (ultimate) power than many other great seats. I'm pretty sure Prince Aegon will rise nearly as quickly to the Iron Throne as Jaehaerys I did after he was proclaimed king there. But he isn't Jaehaerys I. He'll rule as long as Rhaenyra or Aegon II after his restoration.

And Euron, well, Euron is in a completely different league than Aegon. I don't think George already knows how Euron is going to go down - he has not been build up to stumble over a feigned boy, that's for sure. Is an antagonist for the actual protagonists and heroes of this series, not for Aegon.

That's why I think the wee lad will need Daenerys and her dragons to beat him. 

Just now, Lost Melnibonean said:

I know you don't think she will. And I think most readers in this forum would agree with you. 

I don't like the signs, but even I must admit that there is very strong foreshadowing (real foreshadowing, going back to the House of the Undying) implying that Dany might marry Euron Greyjoy. It would have to be after Cersei's death (who I think is definitely going to marry Euron) and before the Dany-Jon thing, but it is a possibility that the rogue kraken ends up as playing the role of Daemon to Dany's Rhaenyra.

I mean, we have those three visions which seem to be Dany's consort. First Drogo, then the whole Greyjoy vision thing with the dude in the ship, etc., and then the obvious Jon vision. The ship guy wasn't Hizdahr, it isn't going to be another Dothraki, so who is it going to be?

If she is in trouble when she lands she'll take any help she can get. And as of yet Dany has no issue whatsoever with Euron Greyjoy. Whereas she might have a lot of issues with the impostor and his ilk by the time she comes.

Still, if that's nonsense I'd think that Euron on his own becomes a major threat to Dany on her way to Westeros, at a point when the Lad Without Ships might sit on the Iron Throne but have as much strength at sea as Aegon II.

42 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't like the signs, but even I must admit that there is very strong foreshadowing (real foreshadowing, going back to the House of the Undying) implying that Dany might marry Euron Greyjoy. It would have to be after Cersei's death (who I think is definitely going to marry Euron) and before the Dany-Jon thing, but it is a possibility that the rogue kraken ends up as playing the role of Daemon to Dany's Rhaenyra.

I mean, we have those three visions which seem to be Dany's consort. First Drogo, then the whole Greyjoy vision thing with the dude in the ship, etc., and then the obvious Jon vision. The ship guy wasn't Hizdahr, it isn't going to be another Dothraki, so who is it going to be?

If she is in trouble when she lands she'll take any help she can get. And as of yet Dany has no issue whatsoever with Euron Greyjoy. Whereas she might have a lot of issues with the impostor and his ilk by the time she comes.

Still, if that's nonsense I'd think that Euron on his own becomes a major threat to Dany on her way to Westeros, at a point when the Lad Without Ships might sit on the Iron Throne but have as much strength at sea as Aegon II.

No doubt, there are strong arguments to make suggesting that The George is planning to have Daenerys wed a kraken, by force or by choice. I just don't see it happening. 

I would so much like to participate in this thread. My problem is lack of speculative knowledge. It's kinda like reading FfC & DwD the first time. Martin took the story into unknown territory. Didn't much appreciate it. Yet those two sample Adrienne chapters did reveal a lot of possibilities.

9 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, and it kind of fits well (given the story + foreshadowing). And not only she has no probs w/ the Greyjoys at present, but one (Euron) could make a case that the Greyjoys have been wronged by Baratheons, Starks and Lannisters just as Dany herself thinks she has. 

Cherry on top: if Euron hides his worse atrocities, he may come across to her as just her type, sort of a roguish bad boy. Euron actually reminds me of Daario. Maybe that's why some think they are one and the same... they very obviously aren't, but still. 

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, and it kind of fits well (given the story + foreshadowing). And not only she has no probs w/ the Greyjoys at present, but one (Euron) could make a case that the Greyjoys have been wronged by Baratheons, Starks and Lannisters just as Dany herself thinks she has. 

That case has been made by Viserys III himself, back in AGoT. But I very much doubt Dany (or anyone, really) is going to give a crap about the Usurper and Robert's Rebellion by the time she arrives. They will all have other fish to fry. There is no room for stags (or their dogs) when the dragons dance a second time.

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Cherry on top: if Euron hides his worse atrocities, he may come across to her as just her type, sort of a roguish bad boy. Euron actually reminds me of Daario. Maybe that's why some think they are one and the same... they very obviously aren't, but still. 

Drogo and Daario both share some traits with Euron, but this would not be some kind of silly romance. Nor is Euron going to be able to hide the things he is going to do in the chapters to come from anyone out there. Sure, perhaps the murders of his brothers, but not what he is going to do to the Redwyne fleet - or during any of the battles that are going to follow thereafter.

It would be some sort of arranged marriage, people making common cause to achieve a common goal (just as the Cersei-Euron alliance would turn out).

In fact, that's the plan Euron laid out for his Ironborn on his Kingsmoot. He wants Dany for her claim, her dragons, to birth his legitimate children. It is not likely Euron could keep any sane woman sweet for long, but he may still believe he could do that.

However, a scenario where these two are forced to make common cause would be remarkable different from the situation right now. Dany would have to need Euron for some reason, and Euron would to be able to offer her something of importance.

A possible scenario where this might make sense is if Aegon ends up somehow as the unquestioned ruler of pretty much all of Westeros, with pretty much everybody either supporting him wholeheartedly or having no interest opposing him. And if Dany somehow doesn't get her entire vast army to Westeros - but that would only work if Euron's navy would attack her at sea. If he was her ally then she should face no trouble at all.

On 6/15/2018 at 12:50 AM, Lord Varys said:

I don't think George already knows how Euron is going to go down

I think, I know how Euron will go down. Maybe he forgot to pay to Faceless Men for his brother's assassination. On his tombstone will be written - Bad credit rating.

9 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't like the signs, but even I must admit that there is very strong foreshadowing (real foreshadowing, going back to the House of the Undying) implying that Dany might marry Euron Greyjoy.

In my opinion, what they told her implyed, that she will be married three times.

First mount to ride, that brought her to life - she married with Drogo, and her son Rhaego was born. Second mount, that brought her to death - she married with Hizdahr, and it brought death to thousands of her children, ex-slaves, that died from pale mare, and war against slavers. So third mount, or third marriage, that will bring her to love, is her marriage with Jon Snow, and it will make people of 7K to love her, and accept her as their Queen. Everybody loved Rhaegar, and everybody respected Ned, and Jon Snow is son of both of them. So when people will know his real identity, they all will accept him as their rightful ruler. So if Dany will marry with him, instead of trying to fight him, to get Iron Throne for herself, then they will also love her. Because their rightful, chosen and respected new King, Aegon VII Targaryen, has chosen Dany as his significant other.

10 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

While that seems a very likely outcome, I don't see how Storm's End has anything to do with it.

Melisandre's vision:

"Then the towers by the sea <- possibly Storm's End, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths. Shadows in the shape of skulls <- possibly Golden Company, taking over SE, skulls that turned to mist, bodies locked together in lust <- possibly sex between fAegon and Aryanne, writhing and rolling and clawing. Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky. <- possibly Dany arriving to Westeros, to take over Iron Throne from fAegon, who is mummer's dragon from one of Dany's visions."

On 6/14/2018 at 9:06 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

That's why I think the wee lad will need Daenerys and her dragons to beat him. 

You are going to have to help me out with some of this stuff like you did before.

For some odd reason I remembered something about a little girl who had dreams of dragons. It took me a while to find it.

Spoiler

The Winds of Winter - Arianne I    It was then that pasty, pudgy Teora raised her eyes from the creamcakes on her plate. "It is dragons."   "Dragons?" said her mother. "Teora, don't be mad."   "I'm not. They're coming."

The Winds of Winter - Arianne I     "How could you possibly know that?" her sister asked, with a note of scorn in her voice. "One of your little dreams?"    Teora gave a tiny nod, chin trembling. "They were dancing. In my dream. And everywhere the dragons danced the people died."

Am I correct in assuming Storms End has a natural defense against invading ships?

I am interested in the topic. I just didn't pay attention in some of the chapters.

I'm being vague because I don't really understand some of the dynamics that are happening with the Targs and Martell's.

6 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

You are going to have to help me out with some of this stuff like you did before.

For some odd reason I remembered something about a little girl who had dreams of dragons. It took me a while to find it.

Hide contents

The Winds of Winter - Arianne I    It was then that pasty, pudgy Teora raised her eyes from the creamcakes on her plate. "It is dragons."   "Dragons?" said her mother. "Teora, don't be mad."   "I'm not. They're coming."

The Winds of Winter - Arianne I     "How could you possibly know that?" her sister asked, with a note of scorn in her voice. "One of your little dreams?"    Teora gave a tiny nod, chin trembling. "They were dancing. In my dream. And everywhere the dragons danced the people died."

Am I correct in assuming Storms End has a natural defense against invading ships?

I am interested in the topic. I just didn't pay attention in some of the chapters.

I'm being vague because I don't really understand some of the dynamics that are happening with the Targs and Martell's.

I am not really sure what you are asking or suggesting. Forgive me. 

No, I don't think there is any suggestion that Storm's End has a natural defense against ships. 

17 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I am not really sure what you are asking or suggesting. Forgive me. 

I have tried twice to put my words and thoughts together and both times it comes up more jumbled than box of jigsaw puzzle pieces. I think I need to go back and re-read some of the chapters.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

the seat of the Storm King, and he will win the love of the fair and seductive Arianne, whom Doran has sent to investigate Aegon's merit.

Arianne seems rather skeptical of JC's pet dragon, but she hasn't met him yet, so, yeah, I agree Arianne and Aegon will come to terms.

I would like to contribute this though.

The little Dornish girl that Arianne met while traveling ---- the little girl said that in her dreams the dragons were dancing and everywhere the dragons danced people died.  It occurred to me that "dragons" can be literal or figurative. Dragon's can mean Targ or it can mean the winged things.

Thanks.

Archived