2017: Sons of dragon, 2018: Fire and Blood, 2019 ..

I think it's mostly done. He's just adding the bits involving food. And swords. And internal monologues. A couple or three deaths to sort out. Some following of paths and some encounters with lemon tarts (which can't be written until the sword stuff is done). A few adjustments in the dragon and patricide areas and minor tweaking of the resurrection stuff. Other than that, pretty much ready to go.

If it's definite that Fire and Blood V1 will go on sale this October, then it also means that TWOW is also already done, and will be out after the GOT-show's finale. So it could be published either in late 2019 or in early 2020. Or not. We will know for sure, only when it will happen ^_^

I hope that it's mostly completed and basically ready to publish with just some minor adjustments/edits.  My real hope is that publisher is just waiting for the final season of AGOT for maximum press coverage and that the book will be released either shortly before or shortly after the final season airs.

55 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't see the connection. Unless you're being sarcastic.

I'm not sarcastic, and there is connection. The thing is, between author completing his book, and actual publication of this book, usually many months pass. Because aside from writting the book, there are also other things, that should be done, prior the book will go on sale. So based on GRRM previous history of missed estimated dates, it's unlikely that his team will announce any concrete dates, or even precise year, unless they will know for sure, that the F&B book is already done, and GRRM's publisher are preparing it for sale.

So if that announcement, about 20 October 2018 is official, then it means, that they already have completed book, and were working on it for some time. Which also means, that with completion of this project, and several others in working on which GRRM was involved last year (Wild Cards that he edited, Nightflyers TV-series based on his novel, etc.), now he has more time to work on TWOW. Though actually Wild Cards were completed in 2017, so GRRM already had at least 6 months of time, free from other projects, including Fire and Blood book. So now, and for several months since last year, he was working solely on writting TWOW, and he already had 1,500 pages manuscript in 2016 (divided between TWOW and ADOS), though the F&B book, and the GOT TV-show, and Wild Cards were constantly getting in his way, preventing him from concentrating on TWOW. Now all those obstacles are gone. IF announcement about F&B is real. So it's possible, that we will get TWOW in 2019.

Originally they planned to publish F&B in 2019, after the final season of GOT will be aired. But if they moved F&B's release date to this year, it means, that probably they plan to release something else after the show. And what else could it be, if not TWOW? (Unless it's F&B V2, that they plan to publish in 2019, and then it will be back to original schedule - GOT S8 in 2019, after it F&B V1 also in 2019, then in 2020 TWOW, after it F&B V2, and then ADOS).

4 hours ago, Megorova said:

If it's definite that Fire and Blood V1 will go on sale this October, then it also means that TWOW is also already done, and will be out after the GOT-show's finale. So it could be published either in late 2019 or in early 2020. Or not. We will know for sure, only when it will happen ^_^

How do you reckon?

ETA: Sorry, just saw you had already replied to the same question. Thing is, the post of yours I quoted said that if F&B is ready it means TWoW is as well, and the explanation you gave to @Takiedevushkikakzvezdy doesn't explain why you think that. 

I don't see how Winds could be complete, or almost complete, considering GRRM's own recent posts that claim he is still working on it?  This is his latest post on the subject only days ago. 

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/06/11/hbo-greenlights-goldman-pilot/

(And yes, before you ask, work on WINDS OF WINTER continues, and remains my top priority.   It is ridiculous to think otherwise.   If I wasn’t busy with WINDS, don’t you think I’d be scripting one or more of these pilots myself?  It’s not as if I’ve never written for TV… )

So cross your fingers and your toes, fantasy fans.   Some good stuff is coming.   And let’s have a round of applause for Jane Goldman.

24 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Thing is, the post of yours I quoted said that if F&B is ready it means TWoW is as well, and the explanation you gave to @Takiedevushkikakzvezdy doesn't explain why you think that. 

Warning - speculations ahead.

Do you remember/know? months ago, I think, still in 2017, there was news, that some store (don't remember in what country), placed an announcement, that in (don't remember this also) either in September or October of 2018 will go on sale (this part I also don't remember) either F&B V1 or TWOW.

Basically the news was this - in late 2018 GRRM's book will go on sale. That store made that announcement months ago, and then it was immediately removed. Probably they weren't supposed to reveal that information so soon.

Now people again say, that GRRM's book will go on sale in October of 2018. What's the sorce of this information? Is it official? Is it for sure?

The thing is, if this information is a real announcement, about real date, when F&B V1 will go on sale, you know what it means? It means, that that first announcement made months ago, probably still in 2017, was real. Which also means, that booksellers in various countries already knew months ago, that F&B V1 will go on sale this October. They knew it for a long time, but weren't supposed to share this info.

If book sellers in 2017 already knew release date, then it means, that publishers already had completed manuscript in their hands. They woudn't have said release date to booksellers, if they didn't had the book in their hands. No? :huh:

So it went like this - 1. sometime in 2017 GRRM completed his work on F&B V1 and gave it to his editor/published & other team members; 2. sometime later they made an announcement about release date to booksellers in various countries; 3. one of those booksellers mistakenly shared this information with general public, even though at that point this information was supposed to be known only to insiders in book industry.

Recently GRRM made an announcement on his not-blog, that in 2018 there will be published 3 Wild Cards books.

So if we will go backwards from this point, then it goes like this - 7. Book goes on sale; 6. Official announcement from GRRM; 5. Unnoficial announcement from publishers to booksellers (because booksellers have to beforehand prepare logistics, plan and coordinate marketing in their stores, etc.); 4. Publishers coordinate things with printing companies, plan printing schedule, register ISBN and prepare other things like that, like designing book's cover, choosing paper and ink, organising schedule of translations in various languages, etc., and then only after all those plans are approved and confirmed, they share publication/sale date with booksellers; 3. After receiving completed manuscript from GRRM, after he and his editor already added all finishing touches to it, they give it to proofreaders to check for any mistakes, and then to (don't know how this profession is called in English) some sort of graphic designer that place text on pages and arrange book's layout. After this stage they will know, how long the book will be, and will be able to calculate how much ink and paper do they need, and what printing company can work with book as big as that. And then they can go to step 4.; 2. GRRM and his editor give completed manuscript to their publisher; 1. GRRM finishes writing manuscript.

So between GRRM actually completing his book, and his announcement, when the book will go on sale, more than a year can pass, or even yearS.

So basically GRRM already completed F&B and those Cards books long ago, based on that accidental announcement, still in 2017. And previously he was saying to fans, that his progress on Winds is hindered by working on F&B book and Cards. But it was last year and before that. Though now those books are already done, were completed months ago, in 2017. So in those months he had no other projects to work on, aside from TWOW. And based on what he said years ago about his progress on TWOW and ADOS manuscripts, he already wrote more than half of TWOW years ago. In span of those years he was continuing his work on TWOW and ADOS, while simultaneously working on F&B and various Cards books. And since beginning of this year, or even longer than that, he had no other projects to work on, aside from TWOW and ADOS. So it's likely that in those months, he finally had time to complete TWOW manuscript. And he already has more than just a general outline even for ADOS. How else could he have consulted show-makers how they should end GOT S8?

Though this speculations are viable, only if recent info about book going on sale in October 2018, is real. If it's real, then this release date was known since 2017. So by that point in time the book already went thru stages from completed manuscript to announcement about sales date, given to booksellers in various countries. So the manuscript itself was completed many months prior that first announcement. And if GRRM already wrote F&B in 2017, then he had lots of completely free time, to end TWOW's manuscript.

No? :huh: If you think, that my assumptions are wrong, then can you specify, why you think otherwise?

@Megorova, thanks for taking the time to answer, I understand the point you were making. 

That said, I don't really agree w/ the speculations you presented. For instance, the announcement in 2017 you mention may have been just a mistake by whoever and it simply coincided w/ the actual release date for F&B. Or any number things... And yes, the Oct 2018 release for F&B is official. 

The other thing is, Martin has said that when he is done w/ Winds he will announce it on his NaB. So, any other announcements about the book elsewhere are... meaningless. 

Also, from Martin delivering it to it being ready it's going to be only ~ three months. 

13 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

For instance, the announcement in 2017 you mention may have been just a mistake by whoever and it simply coincided w/ the actual release date for F&B. Or any number things... And yes, the Oct 2018 release for F&B is official. 

It can't be coincidence.

Think about it - in some country certain bookseller posted information about future release of F&B book, that will go on sale in October 2018. Out of thousands authors, that exist in the world, that bookseller supposedly accidentaly has chosen specifically GRRM. Out of all GRRM's books, that announcement was about F&B, not about TWOW or one of his Cards books. And the date was October of 2018.

Author + book + date of release - three common points between that previous announcement and this latest announcement. Occurence like that, can't be coincidental.

I found this article https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/07/i-think-ive-cracked-the-code-for-the-release-date.html

GRRM posted on his blog in summer of 2017

"Alas, alas, that great city Valyria, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come."

And some fans speculated that it's from Bible, the Book of Revelation, Chapter 18, Verse 10:

"Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come."

Revelation 18:10. or October 18.

Though usually GRRM's books are released on Tuesdays, and that article said that October 18 in 2017 was Wednesday.

October 18 will be on Tuesday only in 2023. Could be that it's a planned release day for ADOS.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

October 18 will be on Tuesday only in 2023. Could be that it's a planned release day for ADOS.

He hasn't even started writing that, I very much doubt there's a planned release date for it! 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

He hasn't even started writing that

Wasn't there information before, that some events in TWOW and ADOS happen at the same time, only in different locations/POVs? There's too many POVs to add them all into one book. And if those events are happening at the same time, then he needs to have more than a general outline of ADOS, while he's also writing TWOW, not to make them contradict each other. It's like those previous two books on which he was working simultaneously - Clash and Storm, or was it Storm and Feast :unsure:

17 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Wasn't there information before, that some events in TWOW and ADOS happen at the same time, only in different locations/POVs? There's too many POVs to add them all into one book. And if those events are happening at the same time, then he needs to have more than a general outline of ADOS, while he's also writing TWOW, not to make them contradict each other. It's like those previous two books on which he was working simultaneously - Clash and Storm, or was it Storm and Feast :unsure:

Feast and Dance, they were split geographically. But there has never been any talks about the same being done w/ Winds and Dream. What did happen is Dance was too big and some stuff was pushed into Winds, like the preview Theon I. But as I said, there has never been any discussion on the same type of split we got in Feast/Dance happening again, let alone throwing Dream in the mix. 

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Feast and Dance, they were split geographically. But there has never been any talks about the same being done w/ Winds and Dream. What did happen is Dance was too big and some stuff was pushed into Winds, like the preview Theon I. But as I said, there has never been any discussion on the same type of split we got in Feast/Dance happening again, let alone throwing Dream in the mix. 

IIRC, (on the new NotABlog page that GRRM has on his own website), George answers a question in the reply section that he has not started working on A Dream of Spring.  Someone had compiled a list of all the various answers GRRM gave on a big Q&A on one of his posts.  I'm going to see if I can find the compilation of answers and post it here.  I'm fairly sure that he said he had not started work on Dream at all, while answering that he did not want to split up Winds in two volumes, etc. etc.

ETA:  Here's the list, divvied up by subject matter, GRRM's answers to various questions including info on Winds and Dream, compiled by Tower of The Hand

https://towerofthehand.com/blog/2018/05/08-not-q-and-a-grrm/index.html

Here is the section where GRRM says he has not started on Dream of Spring, from the above link in my previous post.

Did you need to do a lot of re-writing since your last update on TWOW? Did you stop working on the book more or less completely in favor of other projects? Have you started working on A Dream of Spring? (ref)

I have done some rewriting, yes. But there have been distractions as well.

No, I have not started working on A DREAM OF SPRING.

4 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

IIRC, (on the new NotABlog page that GRRM has on his own website), George answers a question in the reply section that he has not started working on A Dream of Spring.  Someone had compiled a list of all the various answers GRRM gave on a big Q&A on one of his posts.  I'm going to see if I can find the compilation of answers and post it here.  I'm fairly sure that he said he had not started work on Dream at all, while answering that he did not want to split up Winds in two volumes, etc. etc.

ETA:  Here's the list, divvied up by subject matter, GRRM's answers to various questions including info on Winds and Dream, compiled by Tower of The Hand

https://towerofthehand.com/blog/2018/05/08-not-q-and-a-grrm/index.html

:cheers:

I remembered reading something somewhere - lol - where Martin said he had not started writing ADoS, but couldn't for the life of me remember where or when! :D

Archived