WC2018 - Match Day 1: In Putin Russia, World Cup Watch You!

Also, just to put it out there, I have a feeling that the refs will rig the entire thing to try to stop Croatia from winning. They're the clear favourites and definitely the best.

I'm excited for the VAR system. That way a certain player, cough Modrić cough, doesn't get to run down the sideline to throw the ball to his buddy from 20 yards where he should have been, who then scores a goal.

So, we're not going to be surprised if Russia wins, right? But the question is, how will they win? 

Will they actually be the better team (despite being woeful) on the pitch? Will Saudi Arabia sandbag it? Or will it be a gentle assist by the 12th, 13th, and 14th man, the refs? If the latter, will it be dodgy offsides calls? A missed handball in the box? Lopsided bookings?

ETA: or maybe it'll end in a draw to make it look slightly less rigged?

I actually think Russia has the better opportunity here. While the other teams have been travelling to the site, the Russian team has spent the past week at a retreat far from the hubbub and honing skills. They are also on home turf. I think the hosting team also historically wins due to those very reasons.

1 hour ago, آهنگ های رویایی said:

They are also on home turf. I think the hosting team also historically wins due to those very reasons.

Actually the last three world cups, since when the host plays the opening match, there were two wins (Germany on 2006 and Brasil in 2014) and one draw (South Africa in 2010). And the teams that won were also massive favourites of the whole tournament. So I wouldn't be so sure about today's result.

I'm at work peeping a tv hidden behind in the back office. Most of us have money bet on Russia today so Russia better keep ahead in the score. Good beginning. 

Fortunately here the commentators are quite good. 

Archived