WC2018 - Match Day 1: In Putin Russia, World Cup Watch You!

No surprise that the Saudis were ineffectual.  1994 was their only decent showing ever, and they've otherwise been whipping boys each time when they even managed to qualify.  Giving up 5-0 is worse than expected because Russia are no great shakes lately, but are at least pretty motivated as hosts.  And a couple of those goals were in garbage time.

The uncertain result today is what level of oil production was agreed during half time.  

5 hours ago, Don Inigima said:

So uh... Did the Saudis throw that match?

Translation of Putin, overheard before kickoff on the phone (we only know his side of the conversation):

PUTIN: Sultan, it's Putin.

(reply)

PUTIN: Of course I have your number.

(reply)

PUTIN: I also have a certain tape of a certain Muslim visiting a certain place of leisure activities.

(reply)

PUTIN: Simple, we win by two goals.

(reply)

PUTIN: You dare negotiate? Now it's three goals for your insolence.

(reply)

PUTIN: Make it four goals.

(reply)

PUTIN: We're finally learning. Good. Also I want one of those big ice creams in a tall glass with the cherry on it.

(reply)

PUTIN: Five goals.

(reply)

PUTIN: Chocolate.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

No surprise that the Saudis were ineffectual.  1994 was their only decent showing ever, and they've otherwise been whipping boys each time when they even managed to qualify.  Giving up 5-0 is worse than expected because Russia are no great shakes lately, but are at least pretty motivated as hosts.  And a couple of those goals were in garbage time.

The uncertain result today is what level of oil production was agreed during half time.  

There's a morbid humour about Saudi Arabia being whipping boys.

Also useless trivia - the first time New Zealand qualified, in 1982, they had to beat Saudi Arabia by six clear goals away in order to qualify. They ended up winning 5-0, to force a play-off with Bahrain. So beating Saudi Arabia 5-0 is a time-honoured tradition.

I just saw the highlights.  I thought it was in slow motion, but then realized that was just the Saudi keeper.  I can’t decide if his efforts were pathetic or apathetic.  Not that his defenders were much better.   They made Cheryshev look like Luis Suarez. 

16 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Makes you wonder what Putin and the Saudi Crown Prince were discussing in the stands? What did Putin promise them? 

You don't need to pay Saudi Arabia to play like that.

Archived