Brewery Bucket List

Jaxom 1974

So, with Father's Day this weekend, Mrs. Jax keeps asking what I want to do.  I told her I  wanted to make the 4 hour drive to Iowa to visit theToppling Goliath Brewery, which is on my bucket list of breweries.  

What breweries do the beer drinkers of the Board endorse? What places need to be tried?

I can tell you that if you're ever in Williamsburg, VA you have to hit up the Virginia Beer Company and try the Free Verse IPA...

32 minutes ago, Xray el Sicario said:

Night Shift Brewing in Everett, MA
Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn, NY
Hill Farmstead Brewing in Vermont
Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, CA

Yes.

We had a really nice time at Ninkasi (Eugene, OR) because the creative vibe there is different to most other breweries I've been to. We had a personal tour so we got to rummage around into their business which was extra fun.

I'd also say it's worth going to see what The Veil (VA) is like because I found it a weirdly fascinating slice of life. There was a weird juxtaposition of locals, beer mules, and some strange corporate outing happening there when we visited.

Big love for FW and FW Barrelworks (again we had personal tours but I'm sure it's still great even without that). Just very professional and very lovely people. Beer isn't bad either.

The Sierra Nevada Brewing Company in Asheville, NC is nice

When I lived in Colorado I liked the Breckenridge Brewery and the Tommyknocker Brewery (they made the best Maple Nut Brown I have ever tasted). 

I've been to a few micro brews here in South Carolina, but none of note

1 hour ago, Xray el Sicario said:

Night Shift Brewing in Everett, MA
Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn, NY
Hill Farmstead Brewing in Vermont
Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, CA

Haven't tried the first one, but all the others are worth a mention.

Ballast Point at BrewMart was nicer than I expected. Modern Times is a must visit when in SD, as the Lost Abbey/Port Brewing Taproom. Pizza Port, also.

A bit disappointed by the Alesmith taproom.

Sainte Aidarius (not sure I've written it correctly) in Capitola, near Santa Cruz. Belgian ales, from sour to quads. A few IPA/NEIPAs. A bit hard to find with GPS, though, I think to took me 30 mins of driving through houses.

55 minutes ago, Isis said:

Big love for FW and FW Barrelworks (again we had personal tours but I'm sure it's still great even without that). Just very professional and very lovely people. Beer isn't bad either.

Also those.

In Italy:

Hammer taproom, between Bergamo and Milan. Mostly WC-style hoppy ales.

Crak taproom, near Padua. First italian brewery to start a canning line. Some NEIPAs, some WC hoppy ales, some barrel aging. All good.

Lambrate pubs in Milan. They have two. The smaller one was the brewpub until last year, when they moved the brewery.

Carrobiolo brewpub in the heart of Monza. Lovely food too.

Other italian breweries I endorse: Loverbeer, Toccalmatto, Extraomnes, and more.

cantillon for me is a must one day.

we have been fortunate to have been to a lot of awesome breweries all over the nation and in canada. 

for real extra fun I suggest hitting breweries and taproom with cray, isis and respective partners. your liver will thank you!

1 hour ago, Xray el Sicario said:

Fully endorse The Veil beers, although we've not yet been to the taproom. 

Wicked Weed in Asheville, NC is definitely worth the trip as well. Mr. X, Merc Chef, Kair, and I spent a pleasant evening there a few years ago.

Wicked Weed was on my radar when I was in Virginia once upon a time...then we moved back to the midwest...

Archived