Match Day 2: Uruguay v Egypt; Morocco v Iran; Spain v Portugal

2 hours ago, Warm-hands said:

Iceland defenders should better prepare themselves: Messi isn't going to let Cristiano overtake him on Ballon d'or ranking without a word.

(Shinji Okazaki is the only one who really deserve it, anyway)

PS: can we all take a moment to talk about Nacho's stunner please

I dunno , messi is a perennial non factor for Argentina . And I'd say 3 against Spain is a much bigger deal than anything against Iceland.

I love nacho , he just seems like such a cool nice guy who does the best he can at any position the coach needs him . Sad that he has diabetes tho . 

Ronaldo made the most of what he was given, but surely that can't be the best goalkeeper in Spain. You can't fault him the penalty, but the second goal was the softest of the tournament so far (and quite likely will stay that way) and the third one was pretty much the same as Russia's last goal against the Saudis. It's one thing for Saudi Arabia not to realize that the ball can be curled in like that and the wall should be positioned accordingly, but for Spain to do that is rather silly.

I hate that I can only visit the thread now after finally watching all of today's matches. Mediocre games first and second, brilliant third. So glad to have seen such a game early in the Cup. This easily could have been categorized as a quarterfinal, or even a semifinal.

3 hours ago, Warm-hands said:

Iceland defenders should better prepare themselves: Messi isn't going to let Cristiano overtake him on Ballon d'or ranking without a word.

(Shinji Okazaki is the only one who really deserve it, anyway)

PS: can we all take a moment to talk about Nacho's stunner please

My feeling after CR7's 3rd: Your move, Messi!

Ronaldo was ice cold taking that free-kick. It was a soft penalty award, a soft free-kick award and an absolute gift from DeGea — lots of good fortune (and diving) all around — but that’s still a hat-trick in the WC (he only had 3 goals in 13 previous WC games) and a nerveless late equalizer. 

Costa’s first was quintessential: up front by himself for an outball, battling against two physical CBS, sneaky forearm to the face of one to get on the ball, force his way into the area and smash home a shot despite having no support.

Portugal weren’t great, but they took their chances and scored at perfect times to take a point despite being outplayed. 

Spain need to be concerned about conceding three, plus DeGea’s other bizarre flap at a bouncing long pass into his area.  Can he not see past his beard?  Isco was great for them but Iniesta and Silva were less potent than usual.  The MF seemed just a bit older and slower, and struggled against long direct passes.  

Now both teams have to race to rack up goal difference against Iran and Morocco.  That will make the group more interesting.  Iran especially may sit deep to play for a draw. 

5 hours ago, Altherion said:

but surely that can't be the best goalkeeper in Spain.

He had a 'mare for the second goal but I'm presuming you're not that familiar with football (not in a snarky way) if you really think this, since he's pretty unquestionably one of the best two goalkeepers in the world. He does seem to make a couple more errors for Spain than United, but still.

Also you can't really legislate for freekicks like that. I mean, sure, an extra man in the wall would have made that particular shot impossible but if you look at the shot from directly behind, the last man is well outside the width of the goal, and if you have too many in the wall you haven't got enough men to cover the rest of the defensive duties. You have to cover the percentages that either Ronaldo's going to just hit the wall, or get it over but it be saved and rebound and need people to sweep up.

2 hours ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

He’s probably the best goalkeeper in the world.

I'd have Neuer just ahead of De Gea. DDG is the better shot stopper and Neuer the better sweeper but the difference is that Neuer performs at a world class level for both club and country whereas DDG does not look anywhere near as solid for Spain as he does for United - I recall him being dodgy at the last Euros as well. Don't think he can have too many complaints if Hierro drops him.

Archived