US Politics: Sit Up Straight and Show Some Respect

Hereward

Just now, Guy Kilmore said:

it feels a bit like a water shed moment. 

Dunno about that.  They didn't rule on the efficiency gap at all, so it's just maintaining the status quo.

So, the President calls undocumented workers animals. Then makes a policy that literally puts their children in cages. Yet, they are supposedly not being treated like animals.

Steve Doocy: Cages That Minors Are Being Held in Aren’t Really Cages

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/06/steve-doocy-cages-minors-being-held-in-arent-really-cages.html

On Monday morning, law enforcement weighed in, seeming to put the matter to rest once and for all: yep, they’re cages.

1 hour ago, DMBouazizi said:

Dunno about that.  They didn't rule on the efficiency gap at all, so it's just maintaining the status quo.

The fear I have is that the court is going to figure out how to duck this issue on technicalities until something signals a significant change outside of the court.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

I, for one, have been wondering and wondering about this, since the report was released. What the Justice FBI report buried, and the news media plays right along with it:

https://www.salon.com/2018/06/18/heres-whats-buried-beneath-that-fbi-report-how-rogue-agents-sabotaged-the-clinton-campaign/

I've seen the non-major media covering this a lot. The IG report tries really hard to softball it but the evidence presented is damning. The FBI staged a soft-coup to keep Clinton from power. The FBI is not fully accountable to the DOJ but also and above that to a fraternity of former agents who have both access to classified information and use that power to organize for political ends.

2 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

The fear I have is that the court is going to figure out how to duck this issue on technicalities until something signals a significant change outside of the court.

I think they are fishing for a test case that Kennedy likes.

47 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

Ok ok, for everyone who hadn’t seen it, it’s a great movie. 

If it makes you feel better, I have seen it and yes, it is quite good. However, the problem is due to its slow pacing, it won’t attract many viewers outside of the people who are interested in the subject, which sadly isn’t a very large audience. Perhaps they should have found a way to shoehorn a dragon into it.

The unspeakable cruelty of Trump’s child-migrant camps

SARAH KENDZIOR
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL 
UPDATED: 6 HOURS AGO 
JUNE 17, 2018

This is the platform Mr. Trump ran on, after all: a platform of xenophobia and corruption. This is the culmination of the dictatorial ambitions and dehumanization of immigrants that smug journalists and officials told people to take seriously – but not literally. For Latino immigrants, demonized from the very day Mr. Trump launched his campaign, it was always literally.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/opinion/article-the-unspeakable-cruelty-of-trumps-child-migrant-camps/?__twitter_impression=true

46 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

If it makes you feel better, I have seen it and yes, it is quite good. However, the problem is due to its slow pacing, it won’t attract many viewers outside of the people who are interested in the subject, which sadly isn’t a very large audience. Perhaps they should have found a way to shoehorn a dragon into it.

It came out in 1976 immediately post-Watergate and people flocked to see it. If modern audiences are so ADHD they can't sit through it, then they should read the book. The film doesn't cover all the events in the book.

Woodward and Bernstein wrote a second book called The Final Days. I highly recommend it. 

21 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

It came out in 1976 immediately post-Watergate and people flocked to see it. If modern audiences are so ADHD they can't sit through it, then they should read the book. The film doesn't cover all the events in the book.

Woodward and Bernstein wrote a second book called The Final Days. I highly recommend it. 

It’s among my favourite all time films, so you don’t have to have lived through Watergate to enjoy it. It’s fantastic at creating tension and the sense of danger in spite of the most physically frightening moment being some never identified noise in a car park...was it a cat?

Anyways, Pakula’s entire trilogy were all awesome, doing the same thing in different ways. Or like the Conversation, the French Connection, other 70’s Golden Age films etc...movies that take their time, with a lot of periods with no dialogue and nothing obviously dramatic happening, but which really build the tension if you’re actually paying attention. Good Night and Good Luck was a more recent example. 

ProPublica has obtained audio from inside a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility, in which children can be heard wailing.

Border Patrol agent jokes, “We have an orchestra here.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/children-separated-from-parents-border-patrol-cbp-trump-immigration-policy?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1529351580

6 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Looks like we’re getting a new branch of the military: Space Force.

Does that mean I get to fly a X-Wing?

Trump plans to fight the other kind of illegal aliens. 

Feels like we are still far away from having actual space warships though. It will probably just be more boring satellites and orbiting nukes for another couple of decades. 

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

If people don't have the attention span to watch the movie, there's no way in hell they'll be reading the book. 

17 minutes ago, Khaleesi did nothing wrong said:

Trump plans to fight the other kind of illegal aliens. 

Feels like we are still far away from having actual space warships though. It will probably just be more boring satellites and orbiting nukes for another couple of decades. 

Eh, technology advances at a rapid pace. I'm still holding out hope that a viable mission to Mars will be capable by 2030.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Tie Fighter.

We got to fight them! 

Archived