US Politics: Sit Up Straight and Show Some Respect

Hereward

11 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Random question:

One of the iconic things from 1984 is the total monopoly on big media or state-run media.  Does anyone know of any good fiction where there's a Hell of a totally different kind where there are largely two different mediaspheres where separate and significant proportions of the population are turned against each other by two systems?  I'm sure that such fiction is on the way; curious about what's been out there in the past and can't think of any great examples that come to mind.  

In a sense 1984 is that too. I read the book fairly recently, and it’s pretty clear that’s the case, but you just get one perspective. You just have to use your imagination and assume what’s happening in Oceania is also happening in Eurasia and Eastasia.

So the new voter-suppression technique is eliminate advance polling days? South Carolina is eliminating the Saturday before Election Day, which just happens to be the day with heaviest African-American voter participation. Just a coincidence?

41 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

So the new voter-suppression technique is eliminate advance polling days? South Carolina is eliminating the Saturday before Election Day, which just happens to be the day with heaviest African-American voter participation. Just a coincidence?

Not sure what you are talking about. We dont have early voting in South Carolina, only absentee voting before our elections and I have not heard of any changes to the absentee voting system. You can "in person absentee vote" before the election after the ballots become available. 

Do you have a link to what you are referring?

54 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

This isn’t new. All over the country Republicans are enacting voter suppression laws targeting predominantly black churches from doing their traditional “souls to the polls” initiative. Generally speaking, they’ve done a great job of targeting every demographic that traditionally votes for Democrats except women because there really isn’t a way to do that. And now they’re not even trying to hide it. Worst case scenario at this point for them is losing at the Supreme Court and having to start over, but that still typically gives them an advantage for at least one electoral cycle.

1 hour ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

9 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Not sure what you are talking about. We dont have early voting in South Carolina, only absentee voting before our elections and I have not heard of any changes to the absentee voting system. You can "in person absentee vote" before the election after the ballots become available. 

I am curious to read the link to that, because I wasn't aware of anywhere doing advanced polling days, just absentee balloting or maybe mail-in ballots.

Report: On-the-Ground Border Policy on Family Separation May, in Fact, Have Changed Overnight

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/family-separation-may-have-ended-in-mcallen-texas.html

On Wednesday, Donald Trump signed an executive order that purported to halt this policy, though it was not clear from the language of the order exactly how the situation would change on the ground. Now Hayes is reporting that authorities have dropped plans to charge 17 individuals in McAllen, Texas with criminal illegal entry, and that the decision appears to be linked to Thursday’s order:

Meet the anti-abortion Trump appointee taking care of separated kids

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/21/scott-lloyd-anti-abortion-separated-kids-642094

But according to state inspection reports, the nonprofit’s six emergency shelter facilities recorded more than 50 deficiencies in the past three years, at least 13 of which were high risk including an incident when a caregiver used physical violence on a child and another where a caregiver didn’t provide medical assistance for a kid that had vomited twice.

“There is a lot of money in the privatization of this,” said Texas state Rep. Mary González, a Democrat who toured the Tornillo facility. “But these are kids’ lives that are being capitalized on. Meanwhile we are creating trauma. I would unapologetically describe it as child torture.”

17 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Why Tyrants Dehumanize the Powerless

Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric implies that migrants are less than human, invoking modern history's darkest moments.

https://newrepublic.com/article/149232/tyrants-dehumanize-powerless

Straight up sadistic nazi language and belief. Journalist, investigative reporter, writer, retired military officer, Lucian K Truscott IV, lays it out: 

https://www.salon.com/2018/06/20/it-is-long-past-time-to-compare-donald-trump-and-the-nazis/

In any case, this EO -- which may or may not sign, rescind or just forget about -- doesn't change anything fundamentally.  The kids will still be taken away after 20 days.

In the meantime our billions of tax payer dollars that should be going for repair of and building of new infrastructure and many other productive issues of pressing need are enriching a few of the orange sadist's happy corrupt sadist cronies to build even more incarceration camps, gulags and ultimately -- what? extermination work camps, forced brothels, etc?

The city's mayor went down to Texas today, as have quite a few other of the state's and city's elected officials this week, hoping to get eye witness information and f-to-f conversations with the people responsible for running and building these camps, those who work there and those incarcerated there.  In the meantime that blonde asshole who got booed out of the Mexican restaurant -- her office refuses to talk to anybody here, to learn how many, where and how long kids have been secretly transported to New York.

Big report on our public radio station this morning, including volunteers who work with the women seeking asylum down on the Texas border.  They say the stories of what they are fleeing, not only for their own sake, but that of their targeted children, boys and girls, are so horrific that if she told them the listeners wouldn't be able to sleep again.  Also it takes far longer than the amount of time alloted to process and sentence these people to even speak, their trauma from their abuse is so deep, much less tell their stories.

This is the part of what Governor Cuomo wrote today in The NY Times as to the three steps he and NY state are taking regarding these children that may be of the greatest interest to the political-legal minds here:

Third, we intend to invoke what is known as the outrageous government conduct doctrine.” In a 1973 case, United States v. Russell, the Supreme Court wrote that it “may someday be presented with a situation in which the conduct of law enforcement agents is so outrageous that due process principles would absolutely bar the government from invoking judicial processes to obtain a conviction.” That day has come. The callous tactics used by Immigration and Customs Enforcement have no place in this country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/opinion/andrew-cuomo-a-moral-outrage-new-york-will-not-tolerate.html?

3 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

An article popped up on my Facebook page. Maybe I have the wrong state? I will see if I can find it again.

It is amazing how many times we have to state This is not an article from The Onion.

First lady Melania Trump’s spokeswoman on Thursday slammed media coverage of a jacket the first lady wore as she made a surprise trip to visit immigrant children held in detention centers.

Trump was photographed boarding a plane to visit the immigrant children wearing a jacket that read “I really don’t care. Do U?” across the back.

"It's a jacket. There was no hidden message,” first lady communications director Stephanie Grisham said in a statement. “After today's important visit to Texas, I hope the media isn't going to choose to focus on her wardrobe,” adding, "(Much like her high heels last year).”

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/393525-melania-trump-spokeswoman-rips-media-over-jacket-there-was-no

So does this dismiss the idea that she picks outfits that thwart her husband by proving herself fashionably ignorant or affirm that she likes to slight her husband via hat and just don't give a shit -kinda like someone said here last night- about the immigrants who didn't let a billionaire ejaculate into them?

I'll take my answer off the air.

1 hour ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

An article popped up on my Facebook page. Maybe I have the wrong state? I will see if I can find it again.

Noooooooooo Birdie! You got hit with dat fake news!

32 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Haha, yep Congress is hapless and can't pass any bill that does not transfer wealth to the percent. Both immigration bills down in the House.

Funny thing is Trump’s tweet this morning probably hurt any chances of the “moderate” bill passing (that right wing one was never going to). That bill literally had everything Trump wanted, and all they had to do was do the right thing for the former DACA recipients.

Are Dems still fighting on that DACA hill?

For Jaces' sake it's like they can't even think gud. The DACA moment is over, time to move on. It's all about... I don't know what it's all about no more but it ain't about DACA.

Too much air in potato chip bags, now that's a winning issue. Someone get Chuck on the phone with this pivot to bagged chip regulation.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:05 PM, Fez said:

The five people you named aren't going to do a damn thing. Give me evidence of one senior person in this administration actually capable and trying to stop a trade war. Otherwise, just accept that the guardrails are off and the tail risks of this Presidency are looming very large.

You're not really responding to my point - I was saying there's no one in the administration with the political will to implement a full on trade war.  You say Navarro, ok, he has influence now.  How long will that last?  Because he went nearly 18 months with next to none.  You say no one holds both the influence and position to stop a trade war, when I've been saying there's no one with the influence and position to sustain it - except Trump himself.  And if we're relying on his sustained focus for something that's going to be both difficult to implement and incredibly unpopular, I'll take the under.

19 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Are Dems still fighting on that DACA hill?

For Jaces' sake it's like they can't even think gud. The DACA moment is over, time to move on. It's all about... I don't know what it's all about no more but it ain't about DACA.

Too much air in potato chip bags, now that's a winning issue. Someone get Chuck on the phone with this pivot to bagged chip regulation.

Not at all. It will reappear when Trump starts trying to deport DACA recipients en masse. Jace needs to have more faith!

Archived