US Politics: Sit Up Straight and Show Some Respect

Hereward

Too bad Huckee Boo Boo, I guess kicking out lying bigots (not a protected class) isn't a violation of free speech.  Did you order the crow?

LEXINGTON, Va. (WSET) -- In a tweet sent out Saturday morning, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said she was kicked out of a Lexington, Virginia restaurant.

According to the tweet, she was dining at The Red Hen, when the owner came to her table and asked her to leave because she works under the Trump Administration.

http://wset.com/news/local/press-secretary-sanders-gets-kicked-out-of-lexington-restaurant

54 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Too bad Huckee Boo Boo, I guess kicking out lying bigots (not a protected class) isn't a violation of free speech.  Did you order the crow?

http://wset.com/news/local/press-secretary-sanders-gets-kicked-out-of-lexington-restaurant

Can't wait for folks to start drawing false parallels to the homophobic cake shop.

9 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Can't wait for folks to start drawing false parallels to the homophobic cake shop.

Let 'em. It's up to decent people to hold the line now anyways, Courts are packed for decades to come.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Please do explain why the SCOTUS decision saying businesses can refuse service to anyone they want on religious or moral grounds would make comparing refusing to serve a gay couple in a bakery on religious grounds and refusing to serve anyone associated with the Trump WH On the basis of immoral conduct a false parallel?

57 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

Please do explain why the SCOTUS decision saying businesses can refuse service to anyone they want on religious or moral grounds would make comparing refusing to serve a gay couple in a bakery on religious grounds and refusing to serve anyone associated with the Trump WH On the basis of immoral conduct a false parallel?

Because Trump officials are not a protected class, and Trump officials were not being discriminated against because of a protected status. 

24 minutes ago, كالدب said:

Because Trump officials are not a protected class, and Trump officials were not being discriminated against because of a protected status. 

I am pretty sure mediocre white Christians are the most oppressed people in America, though.

54 minutes ago, كالدب said:

And sadly for Trump staffers, it's affecting their love lives...….sniff*    

*  j/k  hahhahahahahahha!!!!

44 minutes ago, كالدب said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but the SCOTUS decision said virtually nothing about protected classes and instead focused on comments made by the human rights commissioners which they deemed demonstrated hostility towards deeply held religious beliefs. The decision was extremely narrow, overturning the lower court and commission results based on flawed process.

On the other hand, the right has trumpeted this decision as a freedom of speech decision, not a protected classes decision. And if a baker has the right to deny service to a gay couple based on free speech based on religious freedom, then certainly a restaurant has the right to deny service to anyone associated with the immoral administration of Donald Trump on those very same freedom of speech principles.

As many commentators to published stories about Huckabee have pointed out, to do otherwise would be to deny your cake and eat it too.

18 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but the SCOTUS decision said virtually nothing about protected classes and instead focused on comments made by the human rights commissioners which they deemed demonstrated hostility towards deeply held religious beliefs. The decision was extremely narrow, overturning the lower court and commission results based on flawed process.

On the other hand, the right has trumpeted this decision as a freedom of speech decision, not a protected classes decision. And if a baker has the right to deny service to a gay couple based on free speech based on religious freedom, then certainly a restaurant has the right to deny service to anyone associated with the immoral administration of Donald Trump on those very same freedom of speech principles.

As many commentators to published stories about Huckabee have pointed out, to do otherwise would be to deny your cake and eat it too.

Waaaaaaat?

Are you trying to get to pointing out that refusal of service works both ways and R's need to shut the fuck up? Because your comments have been needlessly cluttered if that's what you're going for.

29 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Waaaaaaat?

Are you trying to get to pointing out that refusal of service works both ways and R's need to shut the fuck up? Because your comments have been needlessly cluttered if that's what you're going for.

Hey, I'm a lawyer. I need to argue.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

THIS should be leading the news everywhere and all the time.

It also passed in flash that he did the same for the use of asbestos in homes and public buildings.  Guess who is the largest producer of asbestos?  If you answer "Russia!" you win.

I was really shocked by this. I didn't even realise that there were countries that hadn't banned asbestos use completely, as the evidence of harm seems incontrovertible. It was banned completely in Australia in Dec 2003 (although still found in older homes, where it has to be carefully removed). Sadly, that was many years too late for my Dad, who died of mesothelioma in 1999. While my Dad's exposure was likely from military service, asbestos-related diseases disproportionately effect tradesmen and blue collar workers and would include many of the Trumpster's own base.

Asbestos leaves a very long toxic legacy. Despite the ban, people continue to die every year in Australia as a result of earlier exposure and will for years to come.

23 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

I was really shocked by this. I didn't even realise that there were countries that hadn't banned asbestos use completely, as the evidence of harm seems incontrovertible. It was banned completely in Australia in Dec 2003 (although still found in older homes, where it has to be carefully removed). Sadly, that was many years too late for my Dad, who died of mesothelioma in 1999. While my Dad's exposure was likely from military service, asbestos-related diseases disproportionately effect tradesmen and blue collar workers and would include many of the Trumpster's own base.

Asbestos leaves a very long toxic legacy. Despite the ban, people continue to die every year in Australia as a result of earlier exposure and will for years to come.

Better to kill people than jobs.

58 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Better to kill people than jobs.

And yet, even with tax cuts

The United Steelworkers labor union, which represents workers at the Kansas City plant, said it was as “blindsided” by the news, according to Bloomberg. The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers also expressed frustration.

The restructuring will cost $170 million to $200 million before 2019, the company said. But starting in 2020, it estimates it will save $65 million to $75 million annually.

The company is also closing a plant in Adelaide, Australia, but it is opening one in Thailand.

Last year, President Trump praised Harley-Davidson as a “great example” of a company creating U.S. jobs. But soon after, the company started a series of layoffs including 118 U.S. workers in April, followed by another 180 in July.

Lives and jobs lost, stock buybacks and rewarding shareholders, fashionable.  

The tax cut, at least, came through. The Republican tax bill, which slashes the corporate tax rate to 21 percent from 35 percent, is giving Harley sizable tax savings this year. The company estimates its effective tax rate — the amount it pays — will be 23.5 percent to 25 percent this year, about 10 percentage points lower than it would have been without the tax bill.

That’s a significant savings: The company makes about $800 million to $1 billion in pre-tax profit, according to Seth Woolf, an analyst at North Coast Research.

Just over a month after Trump signed the tax cuts into law, the Kansas City closure was announced...……….

Meanwhile, since the tax cut, the company is managing to reward shareholders. Just days after revealing the decision to shutter the Kansas City plant, the company announced a dividend increase and a

stock buyback plan to repurchase 15 million of its shares, valued at about $696 million.

On a call discussing the company’s first-quarter results in April, chief financial officer John Olin indicated that shareholder primacy will continue. “Beyond what we invest in the business, we will return and continue to return all excess cash to our shareholders,” he said. The company this year shut the media out of its annual shareholders meeting.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/22/17350180/harley-davidson-tax-buyback-kansas-city-factory

Why by American?  Does that really save American jobs?

Teeheehee! 

Every time I hear about a closing X in bumfuckville it gives me such a RUSH. And this pending trade war? I NEEDZ IT! SHUT DOWN THEM SOYBEANS, GHINA!

And the ex said I was too much of a negative influence on his life! As if.

I love being the only liberal with the self loathing of a Republican. 

The owner of the tiny, 26-seat restaurant that is located in a small Virginia town around 200 miles from Washington, D.C. says she got the call from the chef at around 8 p.m. Friday. When she decided to go check the scene out for herself she had a moment of doubt about the eight-person table that had been booked under the name of Sanders’ husband. “I’m not a huge fan of confrontation,” Wilkinson said. “I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals.

Restaurant Owner Who Booted Sanders Has No Regrets: “I Would Have Done the Same Thing Again”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/sarah-huckabee-sanders-owner-of-red-hen-explains-why-she-asked-white-house-press-secretary-to-leave.html

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Restaurant Owner Who Booted Sanders Has No Regrets: “I Would Have Done the Same Thing Again”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/sarah-huckabee-sanders-owner-of-red-hen-explains-why-she-asked-white-house-press-secretary-to-leave.html

I mean, she supports bakers not making cakes for gay couples. This whole administration acts so victimized, but I think, you know, once in a while, if we tell them how we feel (kind of loudly), it's okay. There are kids in cages.

7 hours ago, LongRider said:

And sadly for Trump staffers, it's affecting their love lives...….sniff*    

*  j/k  hahhahahahahahha!!!!

And one more post for the night. Yeah...I'm single and dating, and if I ran across a conservative or a Trump supporter, I'd 86 that date super fast. If I even heard a hint of MAGA, it'd be over. I can't imagine even trying to share a discourse with someone on that side.

Archived