Brienne and the Wizard of Oz

Fire Eater

I was looking at Brienne’s journey in A Feast for Crows for an essay on Meribald, and I realized that her journey actually references one of the most famous musical films in American history: The Wizard of Oz.

Brienne being dressed in blue (armor), and leaving home for a quest is Dorothy. Brienne is accused of killing Renly when she was actually at the wrong place at the wrong time just as Dorothy with her house dropping on the Wicked Witch of the East. She is sent on her mission by Catelyn, the Lady of the North in a parallel to Glinda the Good Witch of the North. She is later accompanied by three male companions and a dog going along the road. Brienne bumps into Cat again later on like Dorothy and Glinda at the end of the film. Brienne also meets Thoros, whom she called by his nickname “the red wizard,” to which he replies: "The pink pretender, rather. I am Thoros, late of Myr, aye . . . a bad priest and a worse wizard."

Meribald is the Scarecrow. Dorothy meets him in the country where he wants a brain, yet throughout the film demonstrated himself to be good on his feet. He managed to get apples for Dorothy by taunting the trees into throwing their apples at him. When and the rest of the group are cornered by the Wicked Witch of the West, he notices the candelabra and with quick thinking, cuts it down to give an opening for them to escape. Meribald is from the country, and he himself says he is simple, but actually proves himself to be intelligent with his broken men speech.

Podrick Payne is the Cowardly Lion. The character, ironically a creature that symbolizes valor, is an admitted coward who wants courage, and we see in spite of his fears, he infiltrates the Wicked Witch’s castle to save Dorothy. Pod served lions, and he is described by every POV character that meets him as timid, with Sansa noticing he blushes and stares at her feet every time she talks with him. Yet, he rams himself into Mandon Moore just as he is about to kill Tyrion, and then pulls Tyrion to safety from the raging inferno on the Blackwater, saving his life. He later helps Brienne against the undoubtedly dangerous Bloody Mummer deserters. The boy can be shy, but deep inside is brave.

Hyle Hunt is undoubtedly the Tin Man. The Tin Man has a metal body, and wants a heart, yet we see him show to be very caring towards his friends to the point of crying for them. Hyle Hunt’s body is covered in the metal of his armor like the Tin Man, and not having a heart appears to describe him pretty well. We’ve never seen him express sympathy or compassion towards anyone. He calls Brienne ugly to her face when he we see him first talk to her. He wants to find Sansa so he can sell her to the Lannisters. When Brother Gillum shows that a horse bit off his ear, Hyle responds by joking about it. When Brienne expresses sympathy for the children at the inn having lost their parents, Hyle’s response is to roll his eyes and mock her for her sympathy. He is a very self-interested man who doesn’t seem very caring towards anyone. However, we are first introduced to him when he defends a smallfolk couple and Brienne from Tarly’s guards, and actually defends Brienne against his boss and liege, Randyll Tarly, which cost him his job. 

As for Cersei, I’ll let you figure this one out. Cersei likes to wear green, is very vindictive and cruel, often associated with fire and is from the westerlands. Her subordinates are referred to as monkeys with Tyrion, her Hand, being called “a twisted little monkey demon,” Lancel, who gave Robert the wineskin and served as her sword, compared to “a mummer’s monkey” and she thinks of Falyse Stokeworth, whom she tried to have kill Bronn, as a “grasping monkey.” She also had an innocent dog, Lady, killed for something another girl and her dog did. (I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dog ,too.) Cersei is also looking for the owner of that dog, a young girl whom she blames for the death of a relative, and had imprisoned in her castle. Cersei is the Wicked Witch of the West.   

5 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

Interesting. Would that make Tyrion and Penny munchkins?

Well, technically, Brienne hasn't come across them. I think the smallfolk would be munchkins in this case.

25 minutes ago, Fire Eater said:

Well, technically, Brienne hasn't come across them. I think the smallfolk would be munchkins in this case.

But where would Jaime fit in? Would be the tornado, since he sent her on the quest. And Oathkeeper being her ruby slippers 

17 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

But where would Jaime fit in? Would be the tornado, since he sent her on the quest. And Oathkeeper being her ruby slippers 

Good catch, Oathkeeper incorporates rubies, and belonged to Cersei's sibling, so it would be the ruby slippers. He would be the Wicked Witch of the East. The war would be the closest thing to a tornado IMO. 

There is also Wizard of Oz imagery in Dany's arc, particularly the scene were she flies above the rainbow on Drogon's back. There is a colored brick road and Brazen Beasts wearing lion, tiger and bear masks:

Others have found Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass allusions in various POVs.

7 hours ago, Fire Eater said:

Good catch, Oathkeeper incorporates rubies, and belonged to Cersei's sibling, so it would be the ruby slippers. He would be the Wicked Witch of the East. The war would be the closest thing to a tornado IMO. 

I heard witch and for some stupid reason thought of this scene from Scrubs. 

And now I'm imagining Jaime doing that Seven hells.

Archived