Match Day 4: Costa Rica v Serbia; Germany v Mexico; Brazil v Switzerland

Brazil lost their way in the 2nd half. Could have used the pace and directness of Douglas Costa on the right wing to try and stretch the Swiss defence. Credit to Switzerland though - they got back into the game and defended well. Neymar was largely ineffective and both Willian and Jesus were poor. 

Apart from Saudi Arabia, all the other sides have competed well.

Well, that was a made-in-Coutinho goal if there has ever been. Apart from that, Brazil were poor in the attacking department, the fullbacks especially appeared to be legless (Marcelo has good reasons to be out of form given the season he had). 

This corner goal was hard to swallow though, Miranda was probably fouled there but the ref didn't even bother checking the VAR.

Switzerland are a solid side but I keep my bet on Serbia to go with Brazil to the KO stages.

None of the tournament favourites have been impressive so far. Brazil was just 11 players doing whatever, regardless of where teammates were. Germany were a bit haphazard, too, it's like they didn't take the idea Mexico could score seriously until after they did it.

Brazil were overwhelming the Swiss with apparent ease for a good period of the first half, linking with wonderful touches and making the Swiss look like they didn't even deserve to be on the same pitch, but then the Brazilians seemed to run out of gas near the end of the half and quit working for each other in the same way - almost as if their early dominance had convinced several of them they could do it without trying to stay cohesive - and the early passing accuracy fell away dramatically, never to return.

Kind of depressing given what they'd promised for a significant period of the first half.

Huge congratulations to Mexico for a great win.  Despite my allegiance, I have to acknowledge that El Tri had perfect tactics.  Four years ago Germany were regularly stymied for long periods by a deep defense, and they would patiently continue short passes around the box and eventually a goal would come.  It never really looked like coming today.  Too many touches slowed down the attacks to a ponderous pace.  Draxler was anonymous in the first half (but much improved in the second), Werner didn’t reach any crosses, Mueller’s darting runs never happened, Ozil was playing too deep.  At the other end, Boateng and Hummels were lumbering about in isolation and over-run by explosive, nippy counter-attacks.  Reus, Brandt and Gómez were good subs but this team has too many players who crowd into the same space, and lacks pace through the spine. 

Mexico, on the other hand, pressed well, defended resolutely in numbers and surged forward in lung-bursting runs to create counter-attacks.  They managed subs well to keep energy high and they absolutely deserved their win.

Serbia were worthy of their win.  Tadic, SMS and Matic, plus that young ball-playing CB, give them a great platform to move the ball around well.  Unfortunately Mitrovic doesn’t have the sharpness or skill to go with his endeavor.  They could really struggle for goals.  Costa Rica looked fine when they actually tried to play.  They need to be more adventurous. 

And I was pleased for the Swiss.  Usually I’m critical of negative tactics and fouling flair players, but Switzerland earned their point.  Neymar was fouled, but not hacked to pieces, and he dived and exaggerated too.  Brazil seemed complacent.  Coutinho got his trademark goal as he picked up a poor clearance and otherwise the late Firmino header was their only really good chance.  Several half chances were well defended and crowded out.  The Swiss also look like they’ll struggle for goals though.

So three of the four pre-tournament favorites failed to win their opening game, and France needed a late deflected goal to grab the solitary win.  Sometimes top teams gain momentum as the tournament progresses, so far too early to count them out, but it would be great if this is the year for some usurpers. 

Just watched the first half of MEX/GER ... the hombres in green could/should have had three by half time. Reminded me of Peru vs Denmark in some ways, the way they'd tear holes in the defense but not quite nail the killshot.

I was sad before the tournament that we wouldn't have that mad Chilean energy and industry in effect this time round but very pleased to see some of their Latino hermanos have picked up that high energy ball and run with it.

Brazil was sloppy in the second half, but even then they seemed excellent at setting up shots and terrible at taking them.

While Spain didn't win their opening match, they had an opponent of a quality most other favorites wouldn't see until the quarterfinals, and indeed who I'd have put into 5th or 6th place in the list of pre-tournament favorites. So I wouldn't discount them just because it was a draw. In fact, Both Spain and Portugal have, I think, increased their chances by being the only favorites so far who looked reasonably sharp.

Switzerland held Spain to a draw, in Spain no less, only two weeks ago. They might not be as sexy as the current European Champions, but it's a mistake to disregard them as being short of quality. They've lost only once (not including shoot-outs) since May 2016 - to Portugal in qualifying for this tournament, and they beat Portugal 2-0 in the other side of that tie.

In fact Brazil vs Switzerland is the only match of the group phase which pairs two teams ranked in the Top 6 (Spain is only 10th!). Obviously rankings are a grain of salt deal, but it's a long time since Switzerland has been considered a pushover. Just ask the Golden Generation of Spaniards who won WC2010 only after the Swiss had waxed them in the opening game. Hell, just ask the current generation of Spaniards who were also held to a draw, at home no less, by the Swiss only two weeks ago. 

I'm with you on your general point though. Spain looked plenty dangerous for longer stretches than either Germany or Brazil, especially up front, and a draw with the European Champions who have a freak of nature out front is hardly a reason to panic.

I agree that Spain has looked the best out of the favorites. I think it may have been good for them to start with such a tough opponent, they can go in flying into the next games. 

Portugal is as it was at the Euro 2 years ago. Strong, well organized, but they need Ronaldo to score goals or provide assists. 

I think Switzerland is a team that is good enough to reach the quarterfinals, but I doubt they can go further.

We'll see how Belgium looks today. 

Archived