Marriage Roulette Round 2

Angel Eyes

1 hour ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Oh sure, Doran is a dummy and marrying violent nutbags suck no matter how much gold they have to spend on bandages.

On a more serious note: Ned was under considerable pressure to accept the Joff-Sansa match, it was his king asking for the match after all.

Doran hitches his heir and only daughter's fate to the wagon of a unloved and unsupported beggard king of his own will and under no duress. 

Doran's plan for revenge is great!

eat healthful food, sleep early and well, try not to worry to much, and with a little bit of luck you will outlive all your enemies./irony off

Now seriously, the guy was so narrow minded in his awful plan that he was inable to take his chance in the war of the 5 kings to gain his revenge or push for any power grab manuver. Anyone but Joffrey winning would be in his favor. He even got a free hostage and refused to use it....

16 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Well sure but: 1) Where is the fun in that. 2) Doran and his plans are smelly, let's ignore them.

16 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I’ve said it before, but Doran. Is. An idiot. Marrying a daughter off to a psychopath is one of the worst things a father can do, as Sansa Stark can attest. 

I agree with you both. I was replying to Bael's Bastard. Doran was, as someone said(Barristan?) cautious or even too cautious to the point he didn't informed anyone about his plans, even people who were supposed to be part of the plan like Arianne, Viserys or Daenerys. His idea to give his son Quentyn only few people to company was also not very thought-out. He could try to disguise Quentyn's quest as voyage to meet his mother in Norvos. Nobles often travel to meet their relatives, so noone probably would be surprised by his departure from Dorne.

Arianne may lose her title as heir to Dorne if she married someone like Edmure or Renly, but being married to Lord Paramount also give huge influence. Renly and Edmure also seem to be easily manipulated by others, so she could probably more or less rule in their name, like Olenna who have big influence over his son's decisions. Also Dorne is poorest kingdom in Westeros, so I think it would be fair trade.

If we exclude people like Renly, Willas, Edmure or Viserys, she could marry some second son from lesser dornish house like Dickon Manwoody or Arron Qorgyle.

17 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Seems you are right but I'm not gonna lie that is a bit confusing considering how much of a motivating factor her anger about supposedly getting passed over for Quentyn as heir is for Arianne. She has to know that she wouldn't have the same power as some Lord Paramounts wife as she would ruling Princess of Dorne right?

I don't think it'd turn out great for Arianne to marry and take up residence outside Dorne. In all likelihood the marriage would be loveless and getting a paramoure as a woman is a no-go. Arianne would feel very constrained by the role of women in Andal culture.

But she wasn't being given a choice between ruling as Princess of Dorne or marrying a great lord or heir of a great lord. As far as she had discovered, Doran was intent on passing over her for Quentyn. So she might have viewed a match with Renly, Edmure, or Willas as the best she could hope for under the circumstances. It would get her out from under her father, whom she believed hated her. And if she had wed one of them, it is not inconceivable that she would eventually try to persuade them to help her realize her claim in Dorne.

On 6/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, Angel Eyes said:

What about someone for Robb?

Okey.

Should Ned go with a southern bride

Maybe, it would depend on who he could get and how far from the books we divert. But if he does pick a southern bride for Robb then most if not all of his other children including Jon would likely have to take northern spouses to placate the

Margaery Tyrell

Margaery seems like the most desirable young bride not named Myrcella during this period. So politically Robb-Margaery seems pretty hard to justify, especially while Ned still lives. 

Margaery, I think, would get along fine with Robb on a personal but I do not think she would be pleased with the role as future lady of Winterfell. Not to be shallow but the dour and strikt northern way can't seem all that appealing Marg.

-----------

So here is another idea.

Arianne Martell, the match itself is improbable even if Doran would have abandoned the idea of a Targ restoration or though  Robert's rule was about to collapse.

Personal Positives: She has a lot more savvy and political than Robb seems to have had so she'd cover that weakness if they would work together. It would be the next best thing to a Martell Baratheon match for getting past the bloodshed of Robert's Rebellion. If Arianne was sure she wasn't going to become ruling princess of Dorne then wife to a Lord Paramount is the next be thing.

Personal Negatives: On the flip side if she thought she had a shot at ruling her homeland getting shipped of to the North would bring a lot (justified) bitterness to the marriage. Also no matter how you look at it there would be a lot of culture-clashes that could strain the relationship. Particularly I could see Cat and Arianne not getting along great.

A Stark-Martell pact could work to some extent, both have very defensible home ground so any enemy would have to split their forces or leave them self open to a attack from the realm that isn't being attacked.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived