Westworld VIII: Forging On

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Part of him might also want to find out that he is actually a host - if he was a host then he wouldn't really be responsible for his actions. That's also why he won't be a host, because it would make his whole character pointless.

So you are saying he is questioning his life of memories as if all of it was his "story"? His entire life outside the park would have to be planted memories more or less? He is obviously "cracking" so his digging at his arm could very well be to tell himself he is real and that Ford didn't swap him out to torture him.

My thought is he is not a host technically. He is the 2nd human mind to be transferred into a host body successfully. Between now and when I get to watch the finale I am sure I will talk myself out of this.  

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

Part of him might also want to find out that he is actually a host - if he was a host then he wouldn't really be responsible for his actions. That's also why he won't be a host, because it would make his whole character pointless.

Yuuup.  He's full of guilt because he's guilty.

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So you are saying he is questioning his life of memories as if all of it was his "story"? His entire life outside the park would have to be planted memories more or less? He is obviously "cracking" so his digging at his arm could very well be to tell himself he is real and that Ford didn't swap him out to torture him.

I think you're overthinking this.  Which is quite the statement when discussing a Nolan production.

It would ruin Old William's story thematically if he turned out to be a host. There's a running line through both seasons about how he's become obsessed with finding meaning within the park, even when it's not there (like with the Maze). All Ford had to do was tell him that there's a new game just for him and mess with him twice, and that was all it took to launch him on another quest. 

10 minutes ago, Summer Bass said:

It would ruin Old William's story thematically if he turned out to be a host. There's a running line through both seasons about how he's become obsessed with finding meaning within the park, even when it's not there (like with the Maze). All Ford had to do was tell him that there's a new game just for him and mess with him twice, and that was all it took to launch him on another quest. 

I agree, but  also I think there is a fundamental difference between a host, who's emulation of humanity is based on one "keystone / cornerstone" memory and an actual human brain scanned and recreated in the Forge. (maybe after having been incubated in The Cradle.)

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I agree, but  also I think there is a fundamental difference between a host, who's emulation of humanity is based on one "keystone / cornerstone" memory and an actual human brain scanned and recreated in the Forge. (maybe after having been incubated in The Cradle.)

Sure but still, it'd make the creepy Hispanic little girl a liar.

It would explain his never dying if he was a host but I feel the character is more interesting as a human who thinks he is a host. Particularly if all the research revealed was that he was a monster. Although I get the impression that's the result most guests would get based on their behaviour.

I also get the impression that Ford has messed with William more than we've seen for him to be so paranoid that everything is a trick.

10 hours ago, karaddin said:

Err. Yes. Yes I did. That was a misleading mistype lol.

Ha! You made me wonder for a second. I know Felix has showed genuinely kindness and cared for her and ‘makes a terrible human being’ but I didn’t thought maybe I missed something :lol: 

i just realised how much I love Maeve’s gang and can’t wait to see them all back together next week

12 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

Wow.  Yikes.  Marsden deserves so much better.  But he's always been fucked over, right?  When I think of X-men or even his character on 30 Rock, what happens to Marsden?  He's fucked over.

I’ve always felt this way about him that’s why I wasn’t excited to see him land a role in Westworld and then kinda of horrified and amused when I realised his whole character is just about getting fucked over. Lol. He’s one of those actor a who primarily does romcoms that ive always felt had a lot more potential in him. 

6 hours ago, Summer Bass said:

Haven't we seen that he should know that there is no meaning in the park, other than host gaining humanity sort of? He is the one who started gathering the visitors data in the first place and that's what's at the Forge right? I will say I have been working a lot of hours lately so even when I am watching the show I am a little fuzzy. 

The thing I think we have learned is that William is there to murder rape and kill, hence the whole thing with his wife about how she is the only one who sees him for who he really is.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Haven't we seen that he should know that there is no meaning in the park, other than host gaining humanity sort of? He is the one who started gathering the visitors data in the first place and that's what's at the Forge right? I will say I have been working a lot of hours lately so even when I am watching the show I am a little fuzzy. 

The thing I think we have learned is that William is there to murder rape and kill, hence the whole thing with his wife about how she is the only one who sees him for who he really is.

He "should" know it, but since he's a paranoid OCD delusional type, he refuses to know it, and continues on his quest for the white whale....which, for me, isn't very interesting any more.  We knew he was an asshole since last year, and now we know he's a super asshole who destroyed the Delos family and is going or has been going crazy for some time, having given in fully to his obsession with the park.  I'm still underwhelmed by his turn from mild mannered executive to straight up psycho, 'the darkness was always there' is a nice line, but a bit glib for the level of change we've seen.

12 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

Seems as if this discussion kinda petered out a bit.  Who's ready to get disappointed?!?

How dare you!? The finale is gonna knock our socks off!

Unfortunately I have to go into work early tonight and will miss the initial airing. I have been viewing the little marathon that is on now and ep.8 was even better on a rewatch somehow. Great stuff.

10 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

How dare you!? The finale is gonna knock our socks off!

Hope so.  Always found lowered expectations help though.

What a brilliant finale but bloody Hell, that post-credit scene.

William has been shot multiple times, beaten half to death and gets part of his hand blown off yet still hasn't died. That's why I started to believe he may have been a host after the last ep. I think I'm going to go with the popular theory that he has completely lost his mind and that last scene was more of that.

Oooooh, I was watching that scene with his daughter, and yes, he's dreaming on the beach as he's being evacuated out.

Hale v. Hale was awesome. But since Dolores has been recreated, who is in Hale now?

We will see Ford next year, I'm sure of it.

I need to think about the episode and watch it again. In the middle of it, I was wondering how we would continue with next season.

Who does Dolores have controllers for? I assume Felix and Sylvester recover Maeve back at the park. Surely she has Teddy?

2 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

Who does Dolores have controllers for? I assume Felix and Sylvester recover Maeve back at the park. Surely she has Teddy?

It looked like she had 3 or 4. What did she do with her father's that contained all the data?

That's also a good question as to who is in Hale. Could she inhabit both bodies?

Also, did Stubbs confirm he is actually a Host or was he just being cheeky? He's been my guess as to who Ford was building in season 1 in his secret lab. 

Ok, so that was pretty fucking good.  Disregarding the post-credits scene, because, yeah, I really don't care about William anymore.  Before that ended my brother asked me "what about William," and I was like - well, maybe he's the only actual person that knows what the fuck's going on.  But I digress.

It feels like this season was Jonah writing a movie, then filling in 8 hours to make it a season.  Fortunately, we just saw the last two-thirds of the movie. 

On the Maeve end, Joy/Nolan owe royalties to the Wachowski sisters.  Not only did Maeve literally have the "...no" scene, but the door they were all seeking throughout the second stanza simply led to another system of control.

But anyway, he did something I didn't think possible - created a twist the redditors could not call in Hale being Dolores' conduit to the outside.  The show was still way too much exposition - they really need to work on show not tell - but I'm in.  We still have the remainders in the park to revive Maeve and learn about the three others we don't know about, and now we have what everyone's been waiting for with Dolores/Hale/Bernard on the outside.  RIP Elsie and Sizemore - but who knows what brains HaleDolores had in her little bag...

Also, what was up with Stubbs there at the end?  Seems like he'll have more of a role.

29 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

Hale v. Hale was awesome. But since Dolores has been recreated, who is in Hale now?

A Hale that knows she's a robot?  Actually, my knee-jerk reaction to this was Bitch-Stewie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EdJfxNVEs

Sorry, regular embedding isn't working now.  It says it's youtube's fault, but I doubt it.

Archived