Westworld VIII: Forging On

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, john said:

Mm, maybe not, although they could still be referring to her as one of the hosts out in the real world. Aaron Paul seems to not be a host so he doesn’t really fit either.

You mean the five refers to five brain cores? Could be.

Like Corvinus i assume its the brain cores. And tbh it doesn’t seem like Maeve starts out in the real world, at least not to me anyway.

@Corvinus i missed Hemsworth in the trailer, glad he is back. I wonder if they manage to bring Teddy back somehow - Marsden was pretty uninformative in the respect when i saw him on Colbert.

The mire i think about the brief clips in this trailer the more questions spring to mind (in a good way). Westworld has always been great at their promo stuff though

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Like Corvinus i assume its the brain cores. And tbh it doesn’t seem like Maeve starts out in the real world, at least not to me anyway.

My first intuition is the five she's referring to are Dolores, Bernard, Tessa Thompson (not sure what to call her now), Aaron Paul and...Ed Harris.  That's right, bold prediction!  The trailer did seem to be Dolores recruiting Paul, so I think that one makes sense.  Also, I hope he's just simply a human.  It'd be nice to still have at least a couple characters that were just human.  I agree that I don't think Maeve starts in the real world.

At the end of every Westworld season, my overriding feeling is 'couple of decent episodes, but overall fairly meh and I'm not watching this' - but then I see the trailer for the next season and I'm intrigued.

I need to get out of this cycle.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Clearly not Maeve, she is set up as an antagonist to Dolores in the trailer

I mean you're not wrong, but also it's a trailer for the whole season and I dunno, given the shows twisty nature it seems unlikely they're actually showing anything that doesn't happen really early on. I could totally see them both ending up on the same side fighting for everyone's free will by like the 4th episode. 

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I don't know if its just my pro Delores bias, but did others feel the trailer positioned her as the villain?

I think she is the "villain" at this point.  There's not much distinguishing her from Skynet, or at least trying to be Skynet, at least from what I remember.  Been so long, need to do a rewatch.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I think she is the "villain" at this point.  There's not much distinguishing her from Skynet, or at least trying to be Skynet, at least from what I remember.  Been so long, need to do a rewatch.

I accepted the show had positioned her as the villain at the end of season 2, I just liked her anyway, but I wasn't getting the same vibe from the trailer - it felt like they were pulling back from that a bit. The "original plan" part was the only line that did come across like that.

19 hours ago, DMC said:

My first intuition is the five she's referring to are Dolores, Bernard, Tessa Thompson (not sure what to call her now), Aaron Paul and...Ed Harris.  That's right, bold prediction!  The trailer did seem to be Dolores recruiting Paul, so I think that one makes sense.  Also, I hope he's just simply a human.  It'd be nice to still have at least a couple characters that were just human.  I agree that I don't think Maeve starts in the real world.

This list does have the advantage of being all people/hosts who are definitely out of the park. I'd like to think Stubbs is involved in Dolores' revolution though, he's currently the only person we know for sure is on her side (well probably Halebot too). William, I think it makes more sense if his newfound purpose of saving the world is against the android/ai threat.

I really liked their take on Sweet Child o’ Mine in the trailer, the original is one of my least favourite Guns and Roses tracks so the Westworld version is a huge improvement :D.

Also, I’m betting on Paranoid Android for the Season ending track.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Hahaha that When Dolores met Caleb video is great

Hopefully a sign the show will not take itself as seriously as it did in season 2. I'm pinning a lot on Aaron Paul's presence but I think the thing I'm excited about is that season 3 might not just be about a revolution for the hosts but a revolution against the fabric of the society that created and enslaved them. That and it appears the hosts realise that the downtrodden 99% are probably their allies more than the robots the 1% are presumably using to keep the 99% down. In essence the sense of a little hope after only really seeing the worst of mankind for two seasons.

9 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I want to get excited but season two left such a bad taste in my mouth it’s hard

I know how you feel regarding the quality of season 2 but I'm hoping they've learned from it. It does look like a big overhaul/refresh so it's an excellent opportunity to course correct.

But if it starts with all the convoluted, opaque "cleverness" of season 2 I'll be checking out fast. Eg Aaron Paul character gets embroiled in a "is he a host or not" story and is a tool for unreliable narration.

A friend of mine has never watched the show, saw the season three trailers and wants to check it out. I'm curious to see what he thinks of the first two seasons having had them partially spoiled by the trailer for season three. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived