Westworld VIII: Forging On

Fragile Bird

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I guess it’s obvious that nobody is going to be who we think they are when we see the outer bodies? Those on Delores’ team, I mean.

eta: After thinking about it, I had to laugh at the idea this season was going to be 'straightforward'. Or even this episode. These guys couldn't do 'straightforward' for love or money!

I can see this being one frustrating shell game the entire season. I hope not.

Decent premiere, introduction to the season. Has me intrigued for the season.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

I can see this being one frustrating shell game the entire season. I hope not.

Well, this is certainly gonna be part of a season.  I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.  Already in the preview for next episode...

Spoiler

Maeve speculates Dolores put Teddy's brain in Hale's body (or at least appears to).  So who's in Connells' (Tommy Flanagan)?  My vote is Clem!

I really enjoyed seeing the outside world and the great job they've done scouting for futuristic looking buildings (I wonder how much is set vs real?).

The episode highlighted how utterly lost I was by the end of season 2 because I had no idea how we'd got to where we are in the show and what the state of play was previously.

I love the fact the show is demonstrating that the real world no longer feels real and that everyone is running off algorithms and talking to computers/AI for counseling and jobs. It really makes "westworld" as a form of entertainment work - the man-in-black was on the money thinking the park was more real than the outside world.

Aaron Paul's character works as an everyman and showing what the real world is like for real people (albeit an ex military fixer) and like the tongue-in-cheek fact that his side-line job is essentially "open-world missions" from games like GTA/RDR2/Witcher.

I really have no energy at all for the "whose mind is in which body" bullshit. In essence unless the real personality is trying to hide, the acting and dialogue should be such that we know who the character actually is. But I just know this show will abandon that in favour of having us question what the fuck is going on. I'm really hoping that the show can be watchable without having to engage in the fake-out mysteries as there's an interesting show here without those gimmicks.

I'm guessing i wasn't the only one picking up on some nice overtures from Nolan's previous show, Person of interest in this season opener? I'd never considered it before but this show could easily be a genuine sequel to POI - I'm now hoping we'll see some immortal Harold Finch pop up. But the algorithms/AI running most of human life and the little infographics and "big brother" cams were very reminiscent of how they used to film POI. It's a real shame the creators got hooked on the "confusion over story"  between shows as POI balanced it's reveals and twists in a way that felt earned and contributed to the overall story. I can see where they made the leap though as the ratings between both shows reveal that stunts sell.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

@red snow you are being watched, but I refuse to believe The Machine would let this happen. This is the scenario that carries on from a Samaritan victory.

The Machine was maybe forced into the long game and the hosts are its key to beating Samaritan? Feels like we are living in the Samaritan world.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Common People was featured in the episode, which automatically catapulted it to a 10 for me.

This was a highlight as we've only really seen the ultrarich and while some of the Westworld staff are "common people" they are implicit in running a morally bankrupt themepark.

I'm really hoping the season explores more of the poverty and redundancy of the 99.9% via aaron paul's character (i wonder if I'll ever learn his name beyond aaron/jessie). That said surely ex-soldier who does side-missions isn't that common? Although in this future the poor are probably cobscripted into the military.

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

This was a highlight as we've only really seen the ultrarich and while some of the Westworld staff are "common people" they are implicit in running a morally bankrupt themepark.

I'm really hoping the season explores more of the poverty and redundancy of the 99.9% via aaron paul's character (i wonder if I'll ever learn his name beyond aaron/jessie). That said surely ex-soldier who does side-missions isn't that common? Although in this future the poor are probably cobscripted into the military.

I think she was talking about the song...

I'm also declaring a win on the future being dystopian with respect to employment. Both Theda and I thought back in S1 that the park techs were way too scared of losing their jobs. Its not as openly dystopian as I was picturing, but its certainly not an environment ripe with opportunities if you don't fit neatly into the accepted mould.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'm also declaring a win on the future being dystopian with respect to employment. Both Theda and I thought back in S1 that the park techs were way too scared of losing their jobs. Its not as openly dystopian as I was picturing, but its certainly not an environment ripe with opportunities if you don't fit neatly into the accepted mould.

I think it's the sense of redundancy these people experience if not rich/working. The implication so far is that they are managed with AI to keep them functional but it must be hard just existing. I strongly suspect people are assigned jobs/roles early on in life too.

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

The whole thing with the "scores" supports this imo. I imagine those scores would plummet if you lost your job for misconduct or something similar and good luck getting hired after that. 

There also seemed to be little enough wealth where Bernard wound up so I imagine the wealth gap we have today is still present but likely much more extreme. 

The scoring also had me thinking of the Black Mirror episode Nosedive. 

@red snowyes, I meant the song :lol: although I also like having an insight into the less affluent parts of society.

Just watched a preview and is that all supposed to be for next episode? Looks like a LOT happens there... Not sure that Charlotte will turn out to be Teddy though - surely he showed at the end of last season that he didn't have the mindset Dolores needed to do what she wanted? 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Just watched a preview and is that all supposed to be for next episode? Looks like a LOT happens there...

Right pretty sure it was a "in the coming episodes" preview, not just for the second episode.  Sorry for saying the latter upthread, my bad.

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I thought this started out good enough, but found myself bored by the end of it. Unfortunately I think I just may be losing interest in it as a whole.

The Bernard fight scene was silly too.

I was pretty bored by the episode and I have seriously adjusted my expectations for the rest of WW however long that lasts. I do think that season 2 has been over criticized, it was hugely flawed but also to me still great TV most of the time.

Enjoyable episode

Spoiler

Did anyone else wish that Bernard would do something to the system resulting in the dragon waking and killing D&D? I was right, that moment did take me out of the episode, but thankfully only for the moment.

Bernard's story was fine, and we got Stubbs back.

Maeve's story was nothing short of awesome.

I hated the cameo even more than I thought I would. 

The show works better when it stays in the park.

Thank god for Maeve!!!

I see that this season is going to be just like last season, a beautiful jumbled mess with a few diamonds amidst the rubble.  Unfortunate.  If it were just a little better put together it would have kept and increased its audience.

9 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I hated the cameo even more than I thought I would. 

The show works better when it stays in the park.

Thank god for Maeve!!!

I see that this season is going to be just like last season, a beautiful jumbled mess with a few diamonds amidst the rubble.  Unfortunate.  If it were just a little better put together it would have kept and increased its audience.

Who says they're really out of it?

Archived