Westworld VIII: Forging On

Fragile Bird

5 hours ago, Relic said:

Highly recommend The Ringer's Westworld podcast. It's better the show, haha. Their season one recap went up yesterday. 

Is it Greenwald?  I really can't stand that douche.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

My god, get a grip people. So two guys are making a cameo in a show, big whoop. I'm no fan of them either but man, talk about an overreaction. Anyone would think the Nolan's just gutted a baby on livestream

Overreact to this . . . 

Spoiler

Maeve isn't in the first episode ;)

So....I've read 3 reviews from writers who saw the 1st 4 eps, which is 1/2 the season this year, and they are, let's say, not very excited by season 3.  I'm getting a bad feeling that this show may never again find its footing.  I will still watch to the end as I love the story enough to watch even if it declines in quality, but that is disappointing, if after almost 2 years, whatever they put together isn't exciting the critics.  

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

So....I've read 3 reviews from writers who saw the 1st 4 eps, which is 1/2 the season this year, and they are, let's say, not very excited by season 3.  I'm getting a bad feeling that this show may never again find its footing.  I will still watch to the end as I love the story enough to watch even if it declines in quality, but that is disappointing, if after almost 2 years, whatever they put together isn't exciting the critics.  

They maybe didn't like GOT :)

Westworld is potentially one of those shows where the season can seem shit until the season is complete so it could be a case of that happening. Alternatively it could be like season 2 and makes no sense with the entire season at hand.

Without knowing the reviewers/review sites it's hard to know whether it's a review of the show or the potential politics of the show though. Sometimes they overlap (when the show/reviewer is good) and sometimes the two things have little to do with each other and serve more as trigger warnings than commentary on quality. 

The rolling stones review doesn't give me much hope as the reviewer was someone who hated in season 2 (like me) and sees the show return to questioning whether anything we are seeing is real fairly fast. Den of Geek loved it but they also mentioned the "what's real" aspect. Sounds to me like the show has some new elements but still can't resist the mystery/surprise angle. I suspect it comes down to whether you enjoy trying to work out deliberately hard to work out mysteries or if you get frustrated by them getting in the way of enjoying the actual story and characters. I suspect I'll be in the dislike crowd but episode 1 sounds like a safe start.

Really?  I actively disliked it.  It is still overly detailed and meandering as they're setting up the new puzzle....but now they abandoned any hint of subtle and everything is on the nose.  The visuals were spectacular but that is about the only good thing I have to say for it.

I don't know, it's hard for me to complain about saying they need to be more straightforward after season two then complain the season 3 premiere lacked subtlety or was too on the nose.  Just seems like the show can't win at that point.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know, it's hard for me to complain about saying they need to be more straightforward after season two then complain the season 3 premiere lacked subtlety or was too on the nose.  Just seems like the show can't win at that point.

I see it as two different things.  A straightforward plot isn't the same as putting the themes right out there in a cheesy voice over.  

32 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I am cautiously optimistic. The premiere was slow, but I'm glad we're getting a good view of something I had wanted: the world outside the park.

See I didn’t think it was slow at all. I wasn’t bored once. Which was a major problem most of last season. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

See I didn’t think it was slow at all. I wasn’t bored once. Which was a major problem most of last season. 

I wasn't bored either, but it was mostly set up, which certainly was no surprise. But there wasn't any big hook either, the premiere relying mostly on what the season 2 finale set up - what will Dolores be up to in the real world.

I guess it’s obvious that nobody is going to be who we think they are when we see the outer bodies? Those on Delores’ team, I mean.

eta: After thinking about it, I had to laugh at the idea this season was going to be 'straightforward'. Or even this episode. These guys couldn't do 'straightforward' for love or money!

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Other than the simulation within a simulation talk, which has me worried.

Big time. I hope that was only there for that (non)reaction from Dolores.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode. I wanted to see a depiction of the future-world in this series for a while now.

Archived