NBA Free agency 2018: Where's the King landing?

Red Tiger

11 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Damn, I spent too long trying to come up with Kawhi puns for a new title, and got ninjaed.

Kawhi would Red Tiger do such a thing to you? 

Kawhi me a river. 

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

The idea of Boston selling the farm for a one year rental makes me Kawhi, Kawhi, Kawhi.

Why? Adding Kawhi to the roster would put you close to on par with the Warriors, even if you had to give up Tatum and Brown. Truth is the Celtics have too much talent, and there will be no way to keep this team together once their young players need to be resigned. You’re basically at the same point my Vikings are, where we have several dudes who are going to require eight digit salaries and we have no money to sign them.  

27 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Kawhi me a river. 

Why? Adding Kawhi to the roster would put you close to on par with the Warriors, even if you had to give up Tatum and Brown. Truth is the Celtics have too much talent, and there will be no way to keep this team together once their young players need to be resigned. You’re basically at the same point my Vikings are, where we have several dudes who are going to require eight digit salaries and we have no money to sign them.  

Because I don't think he'd stick around. Just like my objections to dealing for Paul George. I don't want a one year rental on a guy who's going to bolt for the Lakers.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Because I don't think he'd stick around. Just like my objections to dealing for Paul George. I don't want a one year rental on a guy who's going to bolt for the Lakers.

Plus, you don't even know if he'll play the entire year or even half of it.

41 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Kawhi me a river. 

If you could get a guarantee that he would sign an extension, I think you would trade one of those guys plus a couple picks for Kawhi. But you don't trade both. Those contracts plus youth are just too valuable.

26 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I get objections to George, but Kawhi is so much better and he seems like he’s far more impressionable.  If you could get him for Brown, Rozier (or more ideally, Smart) and a few picks, you move on that in a second and hope you make it to the Finals and use that as enough to get him to stick around.

13 minutes ago, sperry said:

If you could get a guarantee that he would sign an extension, I think you would trade one of those guys plus a couple picks for Kawhi. But you don't trade both. Those contracts plus youth are just too valuable.

If the deal is right, you do it absent a guarantee and hope for the best. Again, this team has too many guys you need to resign. I’d prefer flipping a few of them for one guy who, when healthy, is a top 5 player in the league.

So, trying to look into Lebron's mind, Houston strikes me as easily the most interesting option, if they can make the dynamics of a trade work.

You've got Harden, you've got Paul, and you've got a couple of strong supporting players in their prime.

Presumably they'd have to give up Eric Gordon to make it work though.

This is better than what the Cavs have. The Cavs need to make a great trade to have a chance of convincing LeBron to stay, because no one believes he is staying with this roster, and that make sense if he wants to win. Can they make such a trade? I believe that he would like to stay in Cleveland is only intending to leave because the team is so clearly inadequate to compete, even against next year's Boston.

Many of the other options are quasi- pipe dreams. They'd be massive surprises in the sense that it would mean not just LeBron would need to go there, but others as well. This includes Lakers and Heat as possible destinations. 

Why go to the Lakers with possible Paul George and the Laker Puppies when you can join MVP James Harden and Chris Paul and Clint Capela? Especially if you want to win now, next year and the year after?

I just don't believe in the Sixers or Spurs as viable destinations. I don't believe late-career LeBron is suddenly going to submit to Pop's Team first game, and for the Sixers, I would have concerns over the fit with LeBron ( something which applies in Houston as well admittedly). I don't think he is that keen to play with Simmons and Embiid.

I do really like the suggestion of him going to New Orleans to pair with Davis, that would be fantastic. A great pairing, and Davis is a superb player. They'd need a bit more still to compete with GS though.

I'd love to see LeBron at OKC. I'm not sure how this could be made to work. Don't resign George, get LeBron, and you have Russ, LeBron, Steven Adams and the Ghost of Carmelo Anthony.

9 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Why go to the Lakers with possible Paul George and the Laker Puppies when you can join MVP James Harden and Chris Paul and Clint Capela? Especially if you want to win now, next year and the year after?

Everything I've read is that getting Lebron, Paul and Harden under the cap would be really difficult, because Lebron+Paul are both looking for max money.  In order to to that, Capela is probably gone, Ariza definitely is, and there's a good chance they'll need to offload picks and good players like Mbah a Moute in order to get rid of bad money contracts like Eric Gordon and (especially) $20 million dollar wonder Ryan Anderson. 

Thus, while it seems like adding Lebron would always be a great thing, for Houston a team of Paul, Harden, Lebron and very little else (in particular, losing most of their athletic wing defenders) seems like a team with little hope of competing with GSW. 

2 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Kawhi me a river. 

The obvious move for the Celtics is to find the Kirk Cousins of the NBA. 

2 minutes ago, Jaimstoyevesky said:

The obvious move for the Celtics is to find the Kirk Cousins of the NBA.  

If the criteria is:

1. Point guard (closest analogy to QB)

2. Underappreciated by team that drafted him

3. Taken in middle of draft

4.  Blossomed into above average starter (probably) capable of starting for a championship team, provided that team is talented enough.

Kyle Lowry?  I don't know if he's really underappreciated in Toronto, although people do love pointing out his impressive stats have not led to real playoff success.  But he fits everything else. 

Kemba Walker?  He does seem to be underappreciated in Charlotte for not leading a bad team to greater success.  He was taken #9 overall, which isn't exactly a 4th rounder, but still late enough that lots of teams aren't expecting a star. 

15 minutes ago, Maithanet der Mannschaft said:

If the criteria is:

1. Point guard (closest analogy to QB)

2. Underappreciated by team that drafted him

3. Taken in middle of draft

4.  Blossomed into above average starter (probably) capable of starting for a championship team, provided that team is talented enough.

Kyle Lowry?  I don't know if he's really underappreciated in Toronto, although people do love pointing out his impressive stats have not led to real playoff success.  But he fits everything else. 

Kemba Walker?  He does seem to be underappreciated in Charlotte for not leading a bad team to greater success.  He was taken #9 overall, which isn't exactly a 4th rounder, but still late enough that lots of teams aren't expecting a star. 

Lowry is perfect. Trying to figure out which player would be more offended by this comparison. 

3 minutes ago, Jaimstoyevesky said:

Lowry is perfect. Trying to figure out which player would be more offended by this comparison. 

Lowry's been living in Canada for the past ten years.  He'd probably apologize to Kirk Cousins. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet der Mannschaft said:

Lowry's been living in Canada for the past ten years.  He'd probably apologize to Kirk Cousins. 

He's an Eagles fan so he'd be mad for 2 reasons:

1) Cousins was a Redskin

2) Cousins regularly loses his team's games and plays adequately the rest of the time.  Lowry is much, much better than that.

Archived