NBA Free agency 2018: Where's the King landing?

Red Tiger

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Haven't you noticed that a lot of people have changed their names and avatars? It's almost like there's this big tournament going on right now...

No, because I don't care about most of the forum, only a few people I talk to now and then.

26 minutes ago, sperry said:

How on earth do the Lakers have a much better roster? The players they have under contract are Luol Deng's corpse (who is eating up $18 million per year for the next two), Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, Tyler Ennis, Ivica Zubac, and Thomas Bryant. They can bring back Julius Randle, although doing so puts a big damper in that cap space.

So you have a bunch of rookies who could theoretically end up being good, plus Julius Randle for a bunch of money, plus whoever they can get in free agency. That group has high upside, but it's likely 2+ years before those young guys are ready to compete at the highest levels, and that's if they reach their full potential. The timing factor is why it doesn't make sense for LeBron to go to the Lakers this offseason. Let those guys marinate for another year and see what Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, and Hart look like a year from now.

Deng is really the only problem, and they can move in and a future pick for a better role player. They can also sign and trade Randle, trade some of the young guys and picks for an All-Star. If they can do that while signing LeBron and George. They have the most possibilities.

I was reading a Deadspin article about Dwight Howard being traded for a bag of basketballs (okay, it was for Mozgov and a pair of second round picks) and came across something that made me pause. The author assumes Howard is Hall of Fame bound.

I... guess? Just for production? Can a guy who's been a constant disappointment and who racked up numbers on sheer physical talent be a Hall of Fame player? Has the decade or so of him mostly being a punchline erased my memories of his good years? Am I crazy for thinking there wouldn't be a lot of Hall voters eager to endorse his career? Do people get into the Hall of Fame for huge shoulders that couldn't carry anything?

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I was reading a Deadspin article about Dwight Howard being traded for a bag of basketballs (okay, it was for Mozgov and a pair of second round picks) and came across something that made me pause. The author assumes Howard is Hall of Fame bound.

I... guess? Just for production? Can a guy who's been a constant disappointment and who racked up numbers on sheer physical talent be a Hall of Fame player? Has the decade or so of him mostly being a punchline erased my memories of his good years? Am I crazy for thinking there wouldn't be a lot of Hall voters eager to endorse his career?

Yes, he just won't go first-ballot. Im gonna say he'll have to wait about as long as Rodman did, even though Dwight has a flashier resumé.

The NBA/Basketball Hall of Fame is the easiest to get into. There are some pretty pedestrian players that have made it. Howard will make it, but like RT said, he’ll have to wait a while.

In other news, I can’t believe the draft is tonight. I wonder if any big trades will  happen tonight. The one I’m really eyeing that doesn’t get talked about is Giannis. I think it’s pretty clear that he won’t resign in a few years, and his value will never be higher on the trade market than it is now. He’s got three years left on a very affordable contract.

Dwight is the TO of the NBA. He absolutely deserves to be in the hall of fame, but probably will have to wait a bit due to being a jerk. There was a 5 year run where he was a top 2-3 player in the NBA, and he carried a team to the NBA finals. I don't think you can say he was a constant disappointment.  5 time all-nba first team, 3 time defensive POY. Even in Houston he was still a really valuable guy, and had a fantastic run when they made the WCF in 2015. At this point his body has broken down and the game has changed to marginalize center's value, but he's still a good player even today.

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

The NBA/Basketball Hall of Fame is the easiest to get into. There are some pretty pedestrian players that have made it. Howard will make it, but like RT said, he’ll have to wait a while.

In other news, I can’t believe the draft is tonight. I wonder if any big trades will  happen tonight. The one I’m really eyeing that doesn’t get talked about is Giannis. I think it’s pretty clear that he won’t resign in a few years, and his value will never be higher on the trade market than it is now. He’s got three years left on a very affordable contract.

I know it will never happen, but Giannis and Popovitch would be a match made in basketball heaven.

46 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Deng is really the only problem, and they can move in and a future pick for a better role player. They can also sign and trade Randle, trade some of the young guys and picks for an All-Star. If they can do that while signing LeBron and George. They have the most possibilities.

Clippers can add LeBron plus another piece. The 12 and 13 package in a good draft is very appealing.

I still don't think the big FA moves are going to happen this offseason. I think there is too much movement set for '19 for it to make sense for guys to move this year.

NBA Draft day is one of my favorite days in sports. An absurd amount of intrigue, secind guessing, and hundred-page internet forum fights. I think the Bulls draft thread(s) over at realGM will break 200 pages today alone.

I know I will have about 15 tabs open tonight ajd my f5 key will be earning its worth.

21 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I know it will never happen, but Giannis and Popovitch would be a match made in basketball heaven.

Agreed, or with any good coach. Milwaukee has done a terrible job developing him. He’s played three different positions in five seasons. He’s most efficient as a power forward, but his skill set has made them try him at point guard and small forward. The problem is he can’t shoot. Poor kid, he was born 20 years too late. He would have been a monster in the 90’s.

Man, I feel like I say that about a lot of players these days.

19 minutes ago, sperry said:

Clippers can add LeBron plus another piece. The 12 and 13 package in a good draft is very appealing.

Eh, maybe, but I think they just need to rebuild, and they’d be better off moving up in the draft. It sounds like Memphis is shopping their pick, but you also have to take Parson’s awful contract in the deal. I suspect the Knicks will try to get that pick, because at four you can get either Ayton, Bagley, Doncic or Bamba. All four look like they could be stars.

I still don't think the big FA moves are going to happen this offseason. I think there is too much movement set for '19 for it to make sense for guys to move this year.

If that’s the case, I think it might have more to do with the fact that the Warriors’ window closes after next year, though the FA class will play a role as well. I think there will be some movement, but expect a lot of two year deals with player options on the second season.

5 hours ago, sperry said:

Honestly, I didn't think James was a fit in Houston. He would fit if you replaced either CP or Harden with him, but I don't think those 3 together maximize their potential.  James needs to be surrounded by shooters and athletes.

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh also didn't maximize their potential, but there was so much raw talent between them that it didn't really matter (except that first season, where LeBron and Wade were so uncomfortable playing together that the Mavericks were able to upset them). Granted, there was nothing like the current Warriors back then, but I think LeBron, CP, and Harden might just have so much talent that it won't matter if there's a bit too much overlap between their skillsets.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh also didn't maximize their potential, but there was so much raw talent between them that it didn't really matter (except that first season, where LeBron and Wade were so uncomfortable playing together that the Mavericks were able to upset them). Granted, there was nothing like the current Warriors back then, but I think LeBron, CP, and Harden might just have so much talent that it won't matter if there's a bit too much overlap between their skillsets.

Not why they lost. LeBron at that time didn't have a back-to-the-basket game and the Mavs took advantage of that by clogging the lane. He couldn't run to the rim and that messed with his head, so he could only settle for jumpers, which further messed with his head.

23 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Not why they lost. LeBron at that time didn't have a back-to-the-basket game and the Mavs took advantage of that by clogging the lane. He couldn't run to the rim and that messed with his head, so he could only settle for jumpers, which further messed with his head.

That's true, but I don't think that's the whole story. That entire season was Wade and LeBron trading off who got the play each possession rather than really playing together. When the Mavs took away LeBron's go-to moves at the time, he didn't have a way to effectively complement Wade's plays instead. And it's not like LeBron couldn't post-up at all, he wasn't nearly as good at it as he is now, but he was certainly capable of it. But there wasn't a way to work that change into the Heat offensive scheme that series because there wasn't scheme beyond, "let LeBron and Wade take turns doing there thing."

They figured some stuff out in the offseason (and LeBron had that training camp with Olajuwon), but a big part of their success in 2012 and 2013 was Wade taking a step back, getting more team orientated (even though he's one of the top iso players of all time), and not playing to his full potential. But even if the sum was less than the parts, the sum was so good that it won back-to-back titles. I think a CP, Harden, James team could come to a similar understanding, if they really wanted.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

That's true, but I don't think that's the whole story. That entire season was Wade and LeBron trading off who got the play each possession rather than really playing together. When the Mavs took away LeBron's go-to moves at the time, he didn't have a way to effectively complement Wade's plays instead. And it's not like LeBron couldn't post-up at all, he wasn't nearly as good at it as he is now, but he was certainly capable of it. But there wasn't a way to work that change into the Heat offensive scheme that series because there wasn't scheme beyond, "let LeBron and Wade take turns doing there thing."

They figured some stuff out in the offseason (and LeBron had that training camp with Olajuwon), but a big part of their success in 2012 and 2013 was Wade taking a step back, getting more team orientated (even though he's one of the top iso players of all time), and not playing to his full potential. But even if the sum was less than the parts, the sum was so good that it won back-to-back titles. I think a CP, Harden, James team could come to a similar understanding, if they really wanted.

All that is true, but I still think that working with Olajuwon was the main reason they won in 2013. Taking command is easier if you feel confident in your entire game.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Reports are saying Ayton-Bagley locked in at 1-2.  Draft starts at 3.

I'm predicting the Hawks take Bamba and someone trades to move up to four to take Doncic. 

You heard it here first folks.

Stay the F away from my hot take! 

Archived