Formula One 2018

Werthead

On 11/13/2018 at 4:03 AM, lmanion said:

Oh I agree Ocon isnt blameless probably should have minded his own business, was just stating that Max could have done a better job of looking out for himself

I see what you mean now. I guess he has learned to be more wary of idiots in future :)

21 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Shame it's in arguably the worst car these days. I still think they must put lead weights in the car to make it so bad with a mercedes engine in it. 

It's great he's back, I just wish it was in a better car. Hopefully he can impress in a shit car and find a drive elsewhere. It was such a shame to lose him through that injury as he was one in f the most promising new drivers at the time

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Probably best to wait and see how he does before making a film. Although they could, of course, cut to credits as he pulls off for the formation lap. It's amazing he has made it back but the I ing in the cake will be him performing well. 

But there needs to be a documentary and/or biography out for next year as it's a hell of an achievement. Him and Billy monger are both inspirational in fighting for something they love.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:39 PM, red snow said:

Shame it's in arguably the worst car these days. I still think they must put lead weights in the car to make it so bad with a mercedes engine in it. 

It's great he's back, I just wish it was in a better car. Hopefully he can impress in a shit car and find a drive elsewhere. It was such a shame to lose him through that injury as he was one in f the most promising new drivers at the time

Hopefully Williams have figured out what went wrong this year and managed to avoid making the same mistake with the 2019 car. As someone who first started watching F1 in the 1990s, it  just doesn't feel right to have them propping up the back of the field.

It’s a great story to have him back, but I saw some onboard footage of him driving the Williams, and I’m not sure it’s wise. His right hand seems to be truly useless, which means he depends on his lift for every manual action he has to take. I wonder how it will work out when he has to focus on both his lap and the competition trying to take his position - though in a Williams that may mean there’s no one to directly duel with except for his teammate.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:36 PM, williamjm said:

Hopefully Williams have figured out what went wrong this year and managed to avoid making the same mistake with the 2019 car. As someone who first started watching F1 in the 1990s, it  just doesn't feel right to have them propping up the back of the field.

Was there just some mistake? I don't think so. Looks more like Claire Williams just isn't up to the job. Things have really gone downhill since Toto Wolff left for Mercedes. But F1 has seen formerly successful teams decline before. March, Brabham, Lotus - Williams and McLaren are actually the last survivors of that era. And Ferrari of course. Looks a bit like an independent team without the backing of a big carmaker can't really be competitive these days. 

So now we have the driver lineup for next year. Never heard of Alexander Albon. Kubica is a strange choice but Williams need an experienced driver if there is to be any chance to improve their car. Will be interesting to see how Daniil Kvyat does and how Gasly's promotion to Red Bull works out.  

6 hours ago, Loge said:

Was there just some mistake? I don't think so. Looks more like Claire Williams just isn't up to the job. Things have really gone downhill since Toto Wolff left for Mercedes. But F1 has seen formerly successful teams decline before. March, Brabham, Lotus - Williams and McLaren are actually the last survivors of that era. And Ferrari of course. Looks a bit like an independent team without the backing of a big carmaker can't really be competitive these days. 

So now we have the driver lineup for next year. Never heard of Alexander Albon. Kubica is a strange choice but Williams need an experienced driver if there is to be any chance to improve their car. Will be interesting to see how Daniil Kvyat does and how Gasly's promotion to Red Bull works out.  

Toto Wolff left Williams in 2013. Since then Williams has come 3rd in the Constructors Championship twice (in 2014 and 2015, beating Ferrari the first time around and Red Bull the second) and 5th twice (in 2016 and 2017). Their last four results before this year were actually their strongest showing in over a decade.

The key weakness identified this year as a mistake in the aerodynamics of the floor of that car, which could not be resolved without a total chassis redesign which teams are not allowed to do once the final design is locked in pre-season. If that's true and they have identified and fixed the problem, they should be able to return to mixing it up with the rest of the pack next year. In fact, ignoring that the three front-running teams have stretched out a lead over the rest, the mid-season battle should be the closest it's been for years assuming things stay similar to this year and Williams and McLaren are able to resolve some of their problems from this year. 

What I most anticipate about the next season is Leclerc behind a Ferrari wheel; this kid had me excited to watch GP2 and his races rather than F1 back in 2017, you can guess how ecstatic I was when he was confirmed by Scuderia.

He did not disappoint this year, so the young man will go into testing on a high which will hopefully mean a great start to the upcoming season and making a case for the No.1 driver status. Imagine him pushing Vettel down to a supporting role and make expendable since the German is expensive to retain as well. Then enters Mick Schumacher to partner Leclerc :bowdown: 

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, Loge said:

Arrivabene out at Ferrari. Let's see how they do under Binotto.

It'll be a shitty pill for arrivabene if the car developed on his watch next year is the dominant car.

I guess either him or vettel had to go and given vettel still has 2 years contract it wasn't going to be him. With new management in place i suspect it will be easier to remove vettel if he underperforms as the new team manager won't lose face as he didn't hire him. 

Hope Niki Lauda is ok. He's in and out of hospital a lot at the moment

10 hours ago, lmanion said:

Vettel screwed up at least 4 times when the pressure was on last season and he probably had a car performance advantage in the middle of the season.

There was also the adjustment to the Ferrari that seemed to reduce performance for 3-4 races which probably added to the pressure. I guess ultimately arrivebene was in charge when they aquired Vettel so even if vettel was more to blame it's still sort of the boss' fault.

I do think Ferrari will try and ditch vettel if he doesn't match the car's performance. We'll have to see. I think vettel is very hard to beat when he has the best car but he does seem to buckle under less favourable conditions. 

Hamilton on the other hand seems to have become much more resilient after the season he was beat by rosberg. Vettel needs to tap into this too. Hopefully he does as i want to see good racing and vettel can deliver.

Yeah, Leclerc was clearly brought into put Vettel under pressure. If Leclerc does a Ricciardo and puts Vettel in the shade immediately, I can see Ferrari starting moves to ditch Vettel, perhaps with the goal of bringing in Hamilton for the last few years of his career (Hamilton might relish having a chance to become the first drive since Fangio to win World Championships with 3 different teams). At that point Vettel becomes a bit of a complication for another front-running team to pick up, and I can't see him settling for mid-grid end-of-career obscurity.

Archived